NEIPA yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhotoPictureResizer_170908_210921363-1512x2016.jpg
Well it's almost 3 weeks since i kegged my NEIPA, contrary to style but as has been the case with all of the approx 10AG brews I've done this one is improving with age. The phenolic taste has gone, the nose is Devine and its tasting good.

Finally happy with this brew, amazing how time can improve a beer

View attachment 108192 Well it's almost 3 weeks since i kegged my NEIPA, contrary to style but as has been the case with all of the approx 10AG brews I've done this one is improving with age. The phenolic taste has gone, the nose is Devine and its tasting good.

Finally happy with this brew, amazing how time can improve a beer
I've just made mine and it is impossible to drink, I can't really tell what the flavour is . It's really strong, I hope it gets better with age

I've just made mine and it is impossible to drink, I can't really tell what the flavour is . It's really strong, I hope it gets better with age

Try describe it, some will dissapate others unfortunately others wont.

Try describe it, some will dissapate others unfortunately others wont.
It's on the bitter side almost a chemical flavour. I'm going to take some to my local homebrew shop today. I spent heaps on the hops would hate to tip it.

It's on the bitter side almost a chemical flavour. I'm going to take some to my local homebrew shop today. I spent heaps on the hops would hate to tip it.
What is a phenolic taste? Cheers

I usually wait at least a month before I decide to tip something, bitterness may subside but when I've had chemical flavours they usually have not, I think the cause of mine was infection from a plastic fermentor tap.

Still give it a few weeks.

Hot alcohol type flavor is from fusel alcohols not phenols. Usually caused by fermenting too warm.

Phenolic could taste like any number of things, from the beer fault guide:
Bitter, fruit skins, fruit pits, grape seeds, grape skins, husky, oaky, roasted, tannic, tea-like, vanilla or
woody. Some have an astringent, drying, numbing, prickly, puckering or rough mouthfeel,
sometimes detectable only in the aftertaste. Some spicy phenols can also be detected as a
prickliness, warming, pepperiness or pain in the nasal passages.
Polyphenols can combine with proteins in beer to form chill (protein) haze.

Commercially my favourite so far has been Biggie Juice from Feral here in WA. Some others come close but thats my benchmark to date.
Im not bothered about a bit of protein haze or any haze from hop chemistry, but I think adding flour is just going a bit OTT.

Having been to Vermont and Massachusetts and tasted a bunch of NEIPA's in their natural environment, I can assure all the nay-sayers they are amazingly good and distinctly different from a a West Coast IPA, despite very similar fermentables. My favourite was Julius from Treehouse Brewing. The haze isn't an accident or lazy brewing and the brewers I spoke to talked up the difference it makes to mouthfeel. I agree with them. It's a very different beast compared to a S&W Pacific Ale. I'm yet to taste a really good locally made example, but in fairness I haven't gone out of my way to try too many.

I tried my hand at brewing one a few weeks ago and am happy with how it turned out, despite having missed my numbers pretty badly. It's not great, but it's very drinkable. It has the super hazy appearance, juicy flavour and smooth mouthfeel that characterises the style (it may be new, but it's definitely a distinct style), Mine had no wheat or oats to achieve the cloudiness and used a blend of S04/T58/WB06 yeasts. It's a bit more sessionable than most I've tasted. I'll pour one later today and post a pickie.

I'll definitely be brewing another batch in a few weeks in order to see what it tastes like if I can avoid being a complete muppet and using way too much sparge water.

Mine had no wheat or oats to achieve the cloudiness and used a blend of S04/T58/WB06 yeasts.

Yeah so I may be nitpicking here, but that isn't an NEIPA...That's a hoppy Belgio-hefe-ale...

Did you do anything with your water profile?

Yeah so I may be nitpicking here, but that isn't an NEIPA...That's a hoppy Belgio-hefe-ale...

Did you do anything with your water profile?

LOL. The yeast additions weren't equal amounts of each yeast. It was 92% S04, 5% T58 and 3% WB06. I added 3g of calcium sulfate and 3g of calcium chloride to a 21L batch, that ended up being 23L...

Latest posts

Back