NEIPA yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew had a lot of oats and wheat in it, so maybe the haze comes from that not the yeast. I decided to pitch the Burton in the end will see how it goes.

Personally Im not trying for a cloudy beer but equally I don't care if it looks like dregs, I'm all about flavour not appearance, if I was id only brew boring lagers.

I've always been a massive IPA fan, I love a nice resinous IPA but I'm really enjoying these fruity NEIPAs. Isn't that why we brew? Life would be boring if we all liked Carlton draught ( I believe it's the worst beer I've ever drank all over the world)

I recently made a NEIPA with 10% oats and 30% wheat. I have to admit I was horrified at how cloudy the wort was out of the grainfather. I split the batch half with London Ale 3 and half with WLP644. The London Ale 3 batch looks ok, for the 'style'. The 644 batch looks like paint but is very fruity. I chucked some biofine in the keg in the hope of reducing the ridiculous level of murk.

I'm with manticle. Brewers have spent decades, if not centuries, working to get rid of haze. It's a common fault found in competitions. Why are we reinventing the wheel? Include me out, no matter arguments about mouthfeel or hop juiciness or whatever. The only style I can manage it is Hefeweizen.

Go for it then. No one is demanding that you to drink it. Feel free to dismiss it just because you have this misinformed notion that the haze is a negative characteristic. See you later. We'll drink all of the delicious beer.
This is a different haze - it's not like chill haze or anything like that. It is a side effect of the positive processes that give the beer it's chief characteristics - heaps of hop polyphenols, and then other hop oils being biotransformed by the yeast. If you think that means that it is an inferior beer, then you obviously don't want to taste one of the most 'fruity' beers going around

What is your point exactly?
There is a reason for the haze. The mouth-feel and perception of mouth-feel differs when the beer is super-hazy. This is being done on purpose, not by accident. If one wants to duplicate the fairly large number of NEIPA's available in the States, it pays to use a yeast that helps produce that haze.
I know there's a reason for the haze in beers like heady topper. I also know that some brewers and consumers focus overly on that aspect as a feature, which was never the initial intention.

My point, since you ask was that it seems absurd slavishly imitating a so-called style for authenticity when it's been around for such a short time and is a subset of the ubiquitous IPA. Like calling the habits of a one year old 'tradition'.

Brew and drink whatever you want.

I'm finding some of the things being said about NEIPA very suspect like; Hop Bio-transformations. Seriously the amount of hop products subject to any transformations by yeast is seriously small and the amount of hop product subject to de-esterification that is pointed to as a flavour component is miniscule.
The idea that hop Polyphenols regarded as a major potential for harsh unpleasant astringency suddenly becoming a positive, Nah.

Frankly getting a beer hazy is too easy and something brewers generally work at avoiding, so far from all I have seen if you wanted a good starting recipe for a NEIPA, just brew a Pacific Ale at 25% higher gravity, add a tablespoon of plain flour to the kettle 10 minutes from the end. perhaps lean more on CaCl2 than on CaSO4, choose a lowish attenuating yeast with a low reducing power and I think you would be most of the way there.

To me it looks like an American brewer has tastes a S&W Pacific Ale and supped it up a bit - wallah - new American style...
Mark

To me it looks like an American brewer has tastes a S&W Pacific Ale and supped it up a bit - wallah - new American style...
Mark

I had the exact same thought when I first heard of the mystical NEIPA. To me they always seems to taste best after they have been kegged for about 3-4 weeks and most (not all) of the yeast and hop crap has dropped out, leaving them looking hazy like a S&W Pacific Ale but not murky. Which then begs the question why don't I just brew an normal IPA?????

I think I may be done with the style. It was an interesting experiment but I still like a bright beer. Don't mind a bit of protein haze like in a Pacific Ale but the rest of it I think I can do without.

I'm finding some of the things being said about NEIPA very suspect like; Hop Bio-transformations. Seriously the amount of hop products subject to any transformations by yeast is seriously small and the amount of hop product subject to de-esterification that is pointed to as a flavour component is miniscule.
The idea that hop Polyphenols regarded as a major potential for harsh unpleasant astringency suddenly becoming a positive, Nah.

Frankly getting a beer hazy is too easy and something brewers generally work at avoiding, so far from all I have seen if you wanted a good starting recipe for a NEIPA, just brew a Pacific Ale at 25% higher gravity, add a tablespoon of plain flour to the kettle 10 minutes from the end. perhaps lean more on CaCl2 than on CaSO4, choose a lowish attenuating yeast with a low reducing power and I think you would be most of the way there.

Mark

Pretty much nailed my thoughts on the matter. I have tried heady topper and found it to be highly astringent. I would not be pleased if one of my hoppy beers turned out like that.

Well here is my NEIPA fermented with WLP644. I will freely admit that it looks like polluted creek water, but it tastes amazing. A fruit bomb if ever there was one.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1503042484.317837.jpg

Not sure I am a fan of NEIPAs. I have tried a few and just find them lacking. I'd rather more bitterness like a 'normal' IPA or IIPA. NEIPA tend to be too sweet and fruity for my tastes.

If I liked alcoholic fruit juice I'd drink screwdrivers.

I wouldn't mind trying Heady Topper though, see what all the fuss is over.

Ended up doing mine with Burton, jury's out on it at the moment, smells fantastic, yeast was slow to get going, took around 3 days to start, initial thoughts were it has a bit of a phenolic taste but then had some on the weekend which I thought was much better and closer to what I've been drinking.

A lot of the beers I've brewed have benefited enormously from time in the keg but they say they NEIPAs are better drank fresh when the hops are at their best, I guess time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_222040-1512x2016.jpg
    IMG_20170831_222040-1512x2016.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 128
My recent NEIPA. Pretty good flavor, but the appearance/mouthfeel is off. This one used TYB Funktown, but I'll try London III next. Hopefully I can get cryo hops for the next batch. I'll probably put in less citra/Mosaic, add some Galaxy leaf hops, and up the ABV, to closer to 7%.

Ended up doing mine with Burton, jury's out on it at the moment, smells fantastic, yeast was slow to get going, took around 3 days to start, initial thoughts were it has a bit of a phenolic taste but then had some on the weekend which I thought was much better and closer to what I've been drinking.

A lot of the beers I've brewed have benefited enormously from time in the keg but they say they NEIPAs are better drank fresh when the hops are at their best, I guess time will tell.

If your yeast took 3 days to get going then your flavour and overall beer will be impacted. Yeast when handled correctly and pitched the right way willl commence between 12-24hrs.

If fermentation starts before 12hrs, too much yeast, if it hasn't started after 24hrs, not enough yeast. so 3days is a very long lag time.

Did you achieve your target Final Gravity?

If your yeast took 3 days to get going then your flavour and overall beer will be impacted. Yeast when handled correctly and pitched the right way willl commence between 12-24hrs.

If fermentation starts before 12hrs, too much yeast, if it hasn't started after 24hrs, not enough yeast. so 3days is a very long lag time.

Did you achieve your target Final Gravity?

My OG and FG where slightly off with beersmith but I think that's down to my equipment profile which I haven't quite nailed down yet, was supposed to come in at 6.5%ABV but its 7% which could explain the alcohol flavor. I'm thinking it was caused by the yeast myself, was a WLP023, I'd had it a few months but was in date and I did let it warm up beforehand, I didn't do a starter for it though so could have been underpitched.

Well it's almost 3 weeks since i kegged my NEIPA, contrary to style but as has been the case with all of the approx 10AG brews I've done this one is improving with age. Ask that phenolic taste has gone, the nose is Devine and its tasting good.

Finally happy with this brew, amazing how time can improve a beer!!

Latest posts

Back