Need some help with LCPA Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first time playing around with beersmith, I have come up with this recipe based on Argons recipe for LFPA. The main substitutions are perle for EKG and BB Pale instead of BB Ale. I already have the grain-bill mixed and crushed but I'm concerned the beer is too light and needs some colour. Would it be a good idea to add 200g of crysal (60l?) to bring the colour up a touch or should I run with it as is?
Currently I'm ABV 5.2, SRM 5.6, IBU 44.5. LCPA is ABV 5.2, SRM 10.16, IBU 40.
I would really like this to be as close as possible to LCPA but would rather sacrifice some colour to keep the flavour profile accurate to the style. Planning to brew today (grainfather) so any advice would be great. Also would love advice on salt additions however have left that out as I dont know my water profile.

Ingredients:
3.50 kg Pale Malt (BB) US (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 70.0 %
1.00 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann®) (7.4 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
0.25 kg Carapils® Malt (Weyermann®) (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt Pale (Weyermann®) (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %

20.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.0 IBUs
5.00 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 3.0 IBUs
10.00 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 7.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
10.00 g Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 1.8 IBUs
10.00 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 4.4 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.9 IBUs
20.00 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 4.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -

17.50 g Cascade [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
17.50 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Keep the malt as is.
Perle will give a different result from ekg but the cascade will be the main actor in this.

I'm with Manticle.
Cascade and Chinook are the go for this beer.

EKG is for British style beers, not a US style Pale Ale.

And yet when on the brewery tour the guide told me EKG was the FWH initial bittering charge on not just the lcpa but all the breweries ales. I've been meaning to give it a go too, love LC

louistoo said:
And yet when on the brewery tour the guide told me EKG was the FWH initial bittering charge on not just the lcpa but all the breweries ales. I've been meaning to give it a go too, love LC
Probably is now, but is certainly wasn't when LCPA was first released. Which version does the OP want, the quality original or the lesser current megabrewery owned copy?

I thought early versions did use a tad of ekg in the bittering before the takeover.

Either way, go with the malt bill as is and leave the extra crystal out.

Still got this one sitting in the conical lagering at 4 deg, will move it to a keg this week and carb it up. Had some issues with the ferment for this one, brewpi failed on a hot day and temp sky rocketed early on. Tastes pretty good out of the fermenter so hoping I got pretty close.

RoneMac said:
Warra - are you suggesting the current Pale Ale isn't good?
It's a fine drink, but in my view not as good as it used to be when it was first released.

I thought the beer has a fairly fruity, yeast driven character. I was thinking an English style yeast would suit better than a clean and dry one like us05. I haven't researched the recipe, just my taste impressions.

motman said:
I thought the beer has a fairly fruity, yeast driven character. I was thinking an English style yeast would suit better than a clean and dry one like us05. I haven't researched the recipe, just my taste impressions.
Another point from the brew tour I remember is the breweries possessive and secretive attitude to their house ale yeast!

Latest posts

Back