Need Help With Beer Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need some help.

You probably haven't heard of a internet beer review show in the USA called New Brew Thursday. Anyway I have gotten to know these guys by way of taking some Epic beers from Auckland too them and they are great bunch of blokes. They have asked me to bring some Australian beers for a show they wish to film which will entail tasting around 5 Aussie beers.

My problem is I don't know what to take. Their craft beer scene is miles ahead of ours and I am racking my brain trying to think of some different styles I can take with me.

For example if I took Feral's Hop Hog with me it would be like taking a knife to gun fight, no offense to Feral and I really like the beer but US West Coast hoppy beers are mind blowing.

Maybe something along the lines of Barons Black Wattle Original would be different.

Anyway please help me out with some suggestions. Obviously it has to be available in bottles and I will need to get hold of them before the 10th of January.

Cheers

Dave

good thread! I am sorry I cannot add to this but I will be interested to see whats suggested as when misses goes back to work late jan will try buy a bottle or so every week.

5 Beers off the top of my head....

1: Coopers Pale Ale/ Or Coopers Sparkling Ale... (highly recomend)
2: LCPA
3: Moo Brew Pale Ale... (highly recomend)
4: JS Golden Ale
5: Gage roads IPA/or/ LC Pils

Im no expert...

Good luck and i hope my opinion helps...

Let us know how things go in this thread....

I would suggest urinating in a bottle add some yeast and bottle conditionion it and tell em this is the best the Australians can do. :lol:

I'd take along a Holgate Temptress - definitely.
If I was going to take a coopers it would be a vintage ale or maybe a special old stout if you can find one (I don't even know if they make it anymore EDIT: They don't)

maybe a holgate nut brown,moo brew pale and pils ,bridge road chevalier saison and bridge road galaxy single hop ipa.

It's a difficult one.

I'd go with one of the coopers ales - could be sparkling (don't do pale because they will compare to APA) or stout.
Something from holgate.
Something from 3 ravens
White rabbit dark
Chevalier saison might hold up.
Something from those guys who did mussel stout and belgian black IPA and damn if I can remember their name (or even if I have two micro breweries confused as one).
True south knock out a few interesting ones too.

I would suggest urinating in a bottle add some yeast and bottle conditionion it and tell em this is the best the Australians can do. :lol:

Go **** urself.

Try these

Coopers Double Stout
Barrons Wattle Ale
James Squire Porter
Otways Organic Anything
Byron Bay Brewery All

not so good
White Rabbit White
White Rabbit Dark
Coopers Vintage
VB Gold
Pure Blonde

Coopers Sparkling should be a must.
Perhaps something with galaxy - maybe the bridge rd galaxy ipa - haven't tried it yet though
Redoak Belgian Choc Stout

Not JS golden ale

Great replies here guys, thanks a lot.

Question, do you think any of our IPA's would stand up to the American ones? I know for a fact that hop driven ones wouldn't, so maybe one with more a malt balance would be a possibility.

I think the White Rabbit Dark is a good bet based on the consensus so far. Also Coopers sparkling is probably a goer too or maybe the Vintage.

Did anyone have any pluses or minuses on the Barons Black Wattle Original? Also what about the Knappstein Reserve Lager?

I'd take along a Holgate Temptress - definitely.

Isn't that a American style Porter? I personally haven't tried it, so I can't say, but I am trying to stay away from American styles unless it's a knock your socks of drink.

Thanks again guys, keep the suggestions coming. I've got a few more weeks before I have to commit.

Murray's hybrids are unique. I'd go for one of those.
Stone & Wood Draught Ale
White Rabbit Dark Ale
4 Pines Kolsch
XXXX Gold :)

Perhaps something with galaxy - maybe the bridge rd galaxy ipa - haven't tried it yet though

Not JS golden ale

If you like galaxy Keiren, Byron Bay is to kill for. Stone and Wood Draught.

Sorry to bring it ups again but.....
Have you tried the Moo Brew Pale Ale? Im a fan of that....

If you are thinking of taking an IPA to Amrerica, I would take Murray's Icon IIPA. Hopefully they might learn how to hop the **** out of a beer AND keep a balanced flavour profile....

I will even donate a bottle of Murray's Wild Thing Imperial Stout to your cause if you really want to impress them. The Hunter Beer Co Kolsch is one of the best examples of a Kolsch you will find......anywhere

Then there's

Hunter Beer Co Bock
Murrays Grand Cru
Bright Brewing razor Wit
Hunter Beer Co gold medal winning Chocolate Porter

red hill scotch ale is one of my fave beers of all time when in melbourne i find this beer

Not JS golden ale

Brewboys GTS & Bootleg settlers pale both have a shedload of galaxy but are probably both more of an APA style than you want. I'm not sure where you are but I'd imagine you'll struggle to get Brewboys if yr not in Adelaide or bootleg if yr not in Margaret River.

Not JS anything.

You could take a Carlton Draught to drink side by side with a bud. Aus swill vs us swill.

If you like galaxy Keiren, Byron Bay is to kill for. Stone and Wood Draught.

My first galaxy experience was in Byron last year where I had the draught on tap and loved it. More recently I have had it in the bottle twice, one some what oxidised and had lost all hop aroma/flavour, the other was nice but not how I remembered it fresh from the tap in Byron. That is my only reservation in recommending it - if you can get a super fresh bottle and get it there quick then go for it - but in my experience it doesn't travel well. It is beer best drunk fresh.

Hope you find some well bottled beer. My experience with oz micros has been hit and miss. Had a Murrays Icon - infected and had to tip it. Had a nice Jamieson 'The Beast' IPA.

+1 to the moo brew pale

Back