Need A Steel Fabricator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Reaction score
Using a pedastal fan motor and blade to make a mash stirrer. I need a 350mm (about 8mm dia) SS rod threaded on one end and the other to have a washer welded and a hole for a pin.
Anyone know of a sttel fabricator in Perth able to do this?

I'm no expert on fan motors but you need lots of torque and low revs. I cannot visualise a fan motor doing this for you. I use a 12V wiper motor on 6V for turning the mash over at about 30RPM, 12V for doughing in at about 60RPM and occasionally 24V (150RPM) for rinsing the grain at second sparge time for just a few seconds. This is in a mash of 8 to 9 Kg. of grain.

I hear bbq spit roast motors are good too, and cheap

I'm no expert on fan motors but you need lots of torque and low revs. I cannot visualise a fan motor doing this for you. I use a 12V wiper motor on 6V for turning the mash over at about 30RPM, 12V for doughing in at about 60RPM and occasionally 24V (150RPM) for rinsing the grain at second sparge time for just a few seconds. This is in a mash of 8 to 9 Kg. of grain.

What and how did you attache your stirrer to your motor?

I'm thinking of putting a dimmer switch on the motor to control the RPM and will do a 3L:!kg raton so the mash ain't so thick.
I have seen video's on You Tube with smaller motors stirring the water in their HERMS heat exchange vessel.
I might have to mount a fan on the motor to keep the temp down.
I do 20-25Lt batches so usually 5kg malt to 15L water.

I just made a dummy shaft, guess what? The motor lacks torque to even stir water. So im glade I didn't waste money fabricating a shaft.
I still want a mash stirrer and would like ideas of how to mount assemble a 12v wiper motor. I see one thread from years back say to use a battery charger for the power supply know I need the help with design.

What model wiper motor, do I need pulleys and what to use for the paddle?

Sorry I was slow coming back but I forgot to tag this thread.
The paddle is supported by a bush in the bottom of the tun and a hole drilled thru the lid. The motor is supported by a simple aluminium bracket that is held in a plastic housing to stop it rotating.
The lower set of paddle blades scrape the bottom as I direct heat and dont want to burn the mash, The top set of blades are adjustable so they are just below the surface of the mash. This helps disintegrate doughballs.
Aqua_Visit_007.jpg
Aqua_Visit_005.jpg
Aqua_Visit_004.jpg

Tony, what is the vessel, a wine fermenter?

It's a 50L keg cut nown to 35L, insulated and skinned with aluminium to make it look flash.

OK so I threw out the fan motor and have gotton me a wiper motor free from a mate. Also I have froced a length of pipe over the motor shaft and have a pin holding the fan blade onto the shaft. Now to attach it to the tun lid, wire it up and done.

Back