Need a recipe with the following ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobos Brews

Reaction score
I am new to all grain and have researched what to do and have accumulated some ingredients from friends who aren't doing any brews any time soon and so I'm looking for a recipe I can use the following in.
I have about
20kg of Traditional Ale Malt,
1kg of crystal,
1kg chocolate,
1 kg of carapils.
I have ample amounts of Nelson Hops as well as galaxy and Amarillo.

Just after a general recipe and can adjust to what quantities I'm looking to make. Thanks

One of my standard brews is approx 95% pale and 5% crystal, then whatever hops I feel like playing around with at the time. Have just done one with mostly amarillo and some late galaxy, carbing at the moment so have yet to try it.

I am new to all grain and have researched what to do and have accumulated some ingredients from friends who aren't doing any brews any time soon and so I'm looking for a recipe I can use the following in.
I have about
20kg of Traditional Ale Malt,
1kg of crystal,
1kg chocolate,
1 kg of carapils.
I have ample amounts of Nelson Hops as well as galaxy and Amarillo.

Just after a general recipe and can adjust to what quantities I'm looking to make. Thanks
90 to 95 % base malt with the balance crystal/carapils, hopped around 40 IBU with mainly late additions and dry hopping with any of the hops you have will make a nice pale ale. You have the right ratio of these malts to make four or five single batches depending on gravity and efficiency, you could experiment using only one each of the hops you have to get a feel for each of them and then apply that learning to the ultimate brew.

Not sure how you would use the chocolate malt with those other ingredients you might need some other malts to make a brown ale, porter or stout to use it up

One of my standard brews is approx 95% pale and 5% crystal, then whatever hops I feel like playing around with at the time. Have just done one with mostly amarillo and some late galaxy, carbing at the moment so have yet to try it.

Sounds like a good plan although I'd stick with all Amarillo

Use the dark grains for your next brew :)

Thanks guys, yeah the chocolate isn't high on the list of ingredients i'll use.
I haven't used Nelson yet at all in any of my brews, I want to use it as I have been given about half a kilo of the stuff.
Im thinking 90% base Malt with equal parts Crystal/Carapils. 20gm Nelson hops in at 60mins, 10gm at 30 mins. 20gm Dry hop.

I havent looked at yeasts yet but I tend to go the Saflager S-23. Is there a better to suit?

Thanks guys, yeah the chocolate isn't high on the list of ingredients i'll use.
I haven't used Nelson yet at all in any of my brews, I want to use it as I have been given about half a kilo of the stuff.
Im thinking 90% base Malt with equal parts Crystal/Carapils. 20gm Nelson hops in at 60mins, 10gm at 30 mins. 20gm Dry hop.

I havent looked at yeasts yet but I tend to go the Saflager S-23. Is there a better to suit?

Well the malt and even Nelson Sauvin would be good in an American pale, so I'd go with US05, 1450, 1056 or 1217 - something like that.

But if you want to run a lager yeast... nothing stopping you :)

I do my "Anglo American" basically an APA grain and hop bill but fermented with an English ale yeast. It tastes like an ESB with US hops - well I like it.

Nelson hops in at 60mins, 10gm at 30 mins. 20gm Dry hop.
You haven't really stated what beer styles you like but if looking to do a Pale or APA I'd consider increasing and moving that 30 min addition to 15m, 5m and flameout to bring out more hop flavour/aroma (keep the 60m addition small). How you currently have it you could be looking at some bitterness but with little flavour/aroma. That said, you might prefer it that way but if you like a more hop-forward beer then yeah ..late additions are your friend (I'd also double the dry hop but to each their own)! I also really like S04 yeast at the moment! :)

Latest posts

Back