• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Nasa V Mongolian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
Gday fellas,

Going to step out soon and get the last bit of AG gear ( apart from a decent mill ) that i need.

What's the consensus on NASA v Mongolian ?

From searching here it seems that there is a soot problem with the Mong at low flame.

Also i couldn't find a pic of a NASA here, or G&G for that matter, if anyone could post up one i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Yard

yardy said:
Gday fellas,

Going to step out soon and get the last bit of AG gear ( apart from a decent mill ) that i need.

From searching here it seems that there is a soot problem with the Mong at low flame.

Also i couldn't find a pic of a NASA here, or G&G for that matter, if anyone could post up one i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Yard
[post="129946"][/post]​

I was speaking to the guys at G&G and they said that the soot problems of the Mongolian are nowhere near as bad as is often reported. I hope so anyway because I bought one! I haven't had a chance to try it yet so I can't comment from experience. The NASA seems to be more versatile though from what I have heard.

There are MILLIONS of nasa pics on this site - try searching "nasa burner" - I'm sure it will come up!

yardy said:
Gday fellas,

Thanks

Yard
[post="129946"][/post]​
Check the web site again, there is a pic of the burner and stand. Click on one of the pieces of equipment at their beer page. :D

I had the same problem as you yardy (what and where are these "NASA" burners). A google search didn't help.

Took me a little while to figure out that they have a few names.

On the G&G website they are know by the unimaginative "Outdoor Burner".
The description also lists them as "Turkey Burner". A US term I think.

Not sure how they also got the "Nasa" name tag as well, as I have personally only seen that on this site.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that can fill in the gaps.

BK.

Turkey burners or turkey fryers they are indeed. Fancy cooking your turkey in 3-4 gallons of oil! :eek: :blink:

There are certain hazards with using so much hot oil.

0_22_turkey_fryer_fire.jpg

NASA burner is essentially an AHB nickname for them. :D

Why wouldnt you call it a NASA. Doesnt this look like someone heading to space?

nasa2.jpg

Beer Krout said:
I had the same problem as you yardy (what and where are these "NASA" burners). A google search didn't help.

Took me a little while to figure out that they have a few names.

On the G&G website they are know by the unimaginative "Outdoor Burner".
The description also lists them as "Turkey Burner". A US term I think.

Not sure how they also got the "Nasa" name tag as well, as I have personally only seen that on this site.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that can fill in the gaps.

BK.
[post="129969"][/post]​

I think it's because you need their clearance before takeoff.

I'm going to differ on opinions and say that I love my 4-ring burner. It's silent, throws no soot and if it doesn't match the other two on power it at least looks the goods:

Kai, did you build that stand for your 4-ring, or is it the way it came?

they come like that
Gaganis Kai?
I've been thinking of upgrading as well, although my 2 ring from there still does the trick with some patience (under $20). I also like the fact that it's almost silent.
I spotted about 5 Nasa burners there recently (cheap as) but they were gone a few days later. I hope brewers got them.....
Now i'm brewing lagers and boiling for ~100 mins, i'm ripping through the gas though :(

yardy,
I can vouch for the mongolian being a good burner, but it does have a sooty flame when turned downed low.
Its not terribly sooty, as in I can't breathe around it, its just a 'candle yellow' type soot flame.
After my brew day is finished, I have to wash the under side of the kettle to remove a build up of soot. But other than that, its no big deal.

From what I have read about the NASA , it is apparently a little noisy at full flame. The mongolian has the advantage of being a little quieter and only requires a low pressure regulator which you can steal/ borrow from your BBQ

Anyway, I hope this helps. :)

vl.

what is the power of a four ring burner like compared to a nasa burner?

When I enquired about twelve months ago I found after a few calculations that the four ring I was looking at was about 40,000 btu compared to the 130,000 btu of the nasa. Needless to say I went the nasa and must say the control you get is great. I can simmer a 10l container or boil the hell out of 70l.

Regards Derrick

yardy,
I can vouch for the mongolian being a good burner, but it does have a sooty flame when turned downed low.
Its not terribly sooty, as in I can't breathe around it, its just a 'candle yellow' type soot flame.
After my brew day is finished, I have to wash the under side of the kettle to remove a build up of soot. But other than that, its no big deal.

From what I have read about the NASA , it is apparently a little noisy at full flame. The mongolian has the advantage of being a little quieter and only requires a low pressure regulator which you can steal/ borrow from your BBQ

vl.

thanks vl,

I've got a pretty good idea of the diffs now, i'm leaning towards the NASA, don't mind a bit of noise.

I'll just have to crank the brewing tunes up a tad :super:

cheers fellas

Yard

yardy,

vl.

thanks vl,

I've got a pretty good idea of the diffs now, i'm leaning towards the NASA, don't mind a bit of noise.

I'll just have to crank the brewing tunes up a tad :super:

cheers fellas

Yard
:beer:

Yardy The nasa is the way to go. I have used both the Mongolian and the nasa. The mongolian was a big mistake, the nasa is far more controllable. When I changed to the nasa it took me a while to get rid of the soot build up from the mongolian.
Cheers Altstart

Latest posts

Back