Napisan - Sodium Percarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just on iodophor. Basic brewing did a great podcast on that on 22/3/2007.Linky

Been meaning to get some to try.

I do exactly the same as pumpy, soak in napisan overnight then rinse in boiling. I always feel so guilty using that much water so I really want to go to Iodophor.

Never had an issue with napisan except for one keg that I did not rinse properly - damn thing tasted like Fizz Wizz gone bad! :(

Low concentrations of bleach should evaporate easly....escpecially if use with hot water

The one cup of bleach per gallon thing was for an outbreak of anthrax in the kitchen. Happens to me all the time!

So 30ml in 19l = 40ml in my fermenter ... round up a bit = 1/4cup.
OK .. round up a lot.

I'm a bit tempted to throw out the starsan before it ruins another bench top!

Ok, Based on what I've read Napisan is a cleaning agent and a mild sanitising agent. According to the link. The active ingredient sodium percarbonate breaks down to sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down further to oxygen and water, 2H2O2 => 2H2O + O2. So whats left when using Napisan is basically water and sodium carbonate.

Why then have some people recomended that you need to rinse after using it as sodium carbonate is used for cooking (food additive E500). It's not dangerous and mainly affects the pH of the solution its in (Might change the taste slightly but the quantities left in the fermenter would be to tiny IMO to change it drastically). It's used in sherbert and I ate that when a kid and didn't keel over.

What I do is use the pink sanitiser then rinse then use sodium percarbonate and no-rinse and haven't had an infection yet.

Each to their own what they do as long as you get good beer in the end.

How well do you need to rinse bottles after soaking with sodium percarbonate? Mrs Hatchy decided to "help out" one day when I was at work & pulled out all of the bottles that had been soaking. If she took them out of the sod perc & left them upside down then should they have had a rinse prior to draining or will the rinse they get with starsan prior to bottling do the job OK? I'm just wondering if they need another soak, then a rinse prior to be put in with there friends to wait to be refilled. They've been sitting in a corner for a while so I can work out what to do with them & figured I should ask the question here.

I don't know what sodium carbonate actually tastes like, haven't been game to try the Perc aftertaste. However Napisan contains a lot of other stuff, only being around 30% perc. I always rinse, then shake with some norinse Starsan. Maybe segregate four or five bottles in a brew, don't rinse the napisan, and see what difference you get? I suppose at worst they could turn out a bit salty or something.

OK in the name of science I am actually bludging here because I'm supposed to be washing out bottles and equipment right now so I'll do the perc test (I have some pure perc)

BribieG goes into garage where the kegerator is as well so not a totally wasted trip B)

Well, well well............... I diluted a pinch in a half a schooner of water and dipped finger in and tasted , probably about the concentration it would end up when doing a perc cleaning job, and a slightly sweetish taste but apart from that, nothing to complain about. A little like very much diluted icing sugar maybe? However I'm not game to try the Napisan - I'll leave that you you :p

How well do you need to rinse bottles after soaking with sodium percarbonate? Mrs Hatchy decided to "help out" one day when I was at work & pulled out all of the bottles that had been soaking. If she took them out of the sod perc & left them upside down then should they have had a rinse prior to draining or will the rinse they get with starsan prior to bottling do the job OK? I'm just wondering if they need another soak, then a rinse prior to be put in with there friends to wait to be refilled. They've been sitting in a corner for a while so I can work out what to do with them & figured I should ask the question here.

I'm pretty sure you should give it a rinse with plain water at the same temp that you used to soak em with...or maybe that is just PBW...

I don't like the feel or the smell of the residue that is left behind when I wash stuff with sod perc (I have the pure stuff as well) so I always wash it off.

Is there a connection between use of Sodium Percarbonate products and poor head retention? This may not necessarily be from the Sodium Percarbonate if there are other chemicals in the product.

I had quite a few brews with very poor head retention, and realised that a common element may be the use of Sodium Percarbonate products. I rinse very well, for long after the sliminess has gone, before sanitising.

I have since stopped using these products, and just use very hot water to wash my equipment well, prior to sanitising (with iodophor). None of my brews since then have this problem, so regardless of what people say, I am unlikely to ever go back to using it. I can see that it may be of some use when collecting bottles from the tip or something, but I see no reason to use these products as a regular part of your cleaning routine. Hot (almost boiling) water makes light work of even the toughest krauesen ring.

I was using unscented generic 'napisan' and have tried at least three different brands. Just curious what others think, as I haven't seen head retention mentioned in relation to Sodium percarbonate.

Back