Napisan - Sodium Percarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Napi-San

Napi-San is not a true sanitiser, but does have some sanitising qualities. It is basically made up of Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) and Sodium Percarbonate. Sodium Percarbonate is the active ingredient, while Sodium Carbonate is the emulsifier/detergent agent. Sodium Percarbonate breaks down into Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide. It is this Hydrogen Peroxide that is the sanitising agent in Nappi-San.Nappi-San requires very hot water (above 65*c ) to work effectively. The hot water allows the Peroxide to form, and do its sanitizing

Nappi-San will not stain or attack plastics, metals or glass, however you will need to rinse it off after use, although it is non-toxic and you wont die if you dont rinse.

Napi-San makes for one of the best soak cleaners available. It will readily remove organic matter (trub, yeast etc) from brewing gear, and as it does not attack materials (like bleach sometimes can), items can be left to soak for long periods of time without problems.

Yeah - Napisan does have some sanitising properties, but it suffers because it definietely needs to be rinsed before you use the vessel... and rinsing is sure to introduce bugs unfortunately.

In fact, one of the biggest mistakes made by people starting out with Iodophor is they don't trust the no-rinse properties, and decide to rinse - and that negates everything you've done with the sanitiser.

Go for a good no-rinse sanitiser, and make sure everything you're using is wet with sanitiser before you use it on the cold side.

Regards,

Andy

I couln't find starsan in WA either, got it posted from QLD with no problems.
I haven't tried iodophor, but I've tried bleach, bleach with vinegar, meta bisulphate etc, none of those beers ever came out good. I've only started making good beers since I've brewed in foamy starsan.
I'm even taking it to work diluted with demineralised water in a trigger pack. Every time I get sent to a smelly a/c (caused by bacteria) the coil gets a load of starsan sprayed onto it to sanatise for a few minutes, then a few sprays of 'nilodour' odour remover.

Yeah - Napisan does have some sanitising properties, but it suffers because it definietely needs to be rinsed before you use the vessel... and rinsing is sure to introduce bugs unfortunately.

In fact, one of the biggest mistakes made by people starting out with Iodophor is they don't trust the no-rinse properties, and decide to rinse - and that negates everything you've done with the sanitiser.

Go for a good no-rinse sanitiser, and make sure everything you're using is wet with sanitiser before you use it on the cold side.

Regards,

Andy

I managed to get some iodophor, but I must admit, ive been to scared to no rinse it, all those bubbles scare me... Does anyone else leave the bubbles in the bottles and just put beer in with it?

All my kegs I fill have bubbles left in them from the idophor hit, as do my cubes before filling

I haven't perceived any taste or ill effects

From my understanding the dairy industry uses something similar through their systems - I couldn't imagine them going the the trouble to rinse a no rinse sanitiser

Cheers

It's fine to no-rinse. I do try to make sure everything is left to drain a little before use, but I certainly use things which are still wet with iodophor solution as well. With the amount of iodophor you have in solution and how little liquid there is left, there's no influence on taste (or your body) by doing this.

I managed to get some iodophor, but I must admit, ive been to scared to no rinse it, all those bubbles scare me... Does anyone else leave the bubbles in the bottles and just put beer in with it?

Fear not. If you're using the recommended dilution, you won't have a problem.

All my kegs I fill have bubbles left in them from the idophor hit, as do my cubes before filling

I haven't perceived any taste or ill effects

From my understanding the dairy industry uses something similar through their systems - I couldn't imagine them going the the trouble to rinse a no rinse sanitiser

Cheers

What ive been thinking tho, is with a keg the amount would be much less per amount of beer than in bottles, does anyone here bottle with it? Or are you all onto kegs...

Man I want a keg set up so bad :(

I bottle with it and have no issues with it. Just let the bottles drain for a few minutes and away you go. :)

I bottle with it and have no issues with it. Just let the bottles drain for a few minutes and away you go. :)

Allright youve convinced me, next brew from start to bottles im gonna no rinse and see how I go B)

PS, I hate you all if its ruined :lol: hahaha, jokin...

Here's a linky to a press release about the bleach/vinegar thingy

The thing that worries me about starsan (or the ersatz starsan I've got) is that if it pools under the bottle, from drips, it ruins your benches!

Here's a linky to a press release about the bleach/vinegar thingy

The thing that worries me about starsan (or the ersatz starsan I've got) is that if it pools under the bottle, from drips, it ruins your benches!

good link Braufrau, there are so many different stories with how much to mix, this bloke quotes 1 cup to 1 gallon yet on this forum people have quoted 30 mls to 20 litres......gets confusing sometimes :huh:

Rook

I have also seen 30ml to 20l and add the 30ml vinegar AFTER you have mixed the bleach with water.

1 cup to 1 gallon would probably strip paint or turn black clothes white :rolleyes:

the sanitation routine i use now is a good soak in Starsan, rinse, and then a hit with Betadine @ 5ml to 1lt, if I'm kegging a beer i just thoroughly drain the kegs before transfer.
for transferring to primary from the no-chill it's the same but before splashing the wort onto the yeast i give the primary a quick rinse with a small amount of wort from the cube before transfer.
no infections off tastes etc.

probably seems a bit over the top but if it's not broken....

Cheers

Just wondering, what do you reckon a place like Mountain Goat do about sanitation? Surely 99% of sanitation options are chemical based, which would void their organic status. Steam maybe? I was thinking of getting one of those steam cleaners for my home brew as I would rather reduce chemical usage...

I soak in napisan overnight rinse in cold water well then rinse in boiling water before use

pumpy :)

I soak in napisan overnight rinse in cold water well then rinse in boiling water before use

pumpy :)

Ive been using Napisan as a cleaner, soaking overnight, but after rinsing well use iodophor...

Do you not use a sanitiser? Just napisan and a rinse?

I believe things are pretty sanitary after using sodium perbcaronate. But I too give a iodophor shot afterwards. Usually I also add in my tubing when I do this.

Ive been using Napisan as a cleaner, soaking overnight, but after rinsing well use iodophor...

Do you not use a sanitiser? Just napisan and a rinse?

I think Napisan is a cleaner, then I use the Boiling water as the sanitiser so far so good three years .

pumpy

Because it breaks down into peroxide, it does have a sanitising affect

Latest posts

Back