Name me a beer pls..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
I'm looking for some examples of a dark ale of sorts, something with the colour of say 'Rogers', not too stouty and won't melt my face off with hops.

Cheers

Rogers..

Kwak Amber Ale
4 Pines American Amber Ale
Mountain Goat Fancy Pants
JS Amber Ale

Last edited:
White Rabbit Dark Ale, maybe a bit darker but easy drinking

Little Creatures Fire Falcon. The label says hoppy but it was pretty tame. I prefer to have my face melted off :foammug:

I'm looking for some examples of a dark ale of sorts, something with the colour of say 'Rogers', not too stouty and won't melt my face off with hops.

Cheers
Keep away from USA beers. Try Great British beers. I like Hobgoblin. Killkenny?

Bagara brewery in Bundaberg have a lovely dark beer. They call it a Stout, but it's not. Just a lovely dark beer.

Moo brew dark ale
Coopers dark
Hobgoblin
Sam smith's nut brown
Chimay red (or blue but be aware abv is big on the blue)
Kozel dark

If abv isn't an issue - westmalle and la trappe dubbel, achel bruin and rochefort 6, 8 or 10. St bernardus range (12 is superb). Possibly zyviec baltic porter - verging more on stout than any others but not super roasty and not actually a stout.

There's heaps of lower hopped, non stouty darks out there.

I think the Kilkenny is the only one I've tried and iirc that has a bit of a burnt flavour..

But I do think a visit to Dan Murphys is needed.

The German 'Kostritzer' has been recommended to me too as a lovely dark beer, but I'm yet to try it. Apparently it can be bought at Dr Dans..

Stockade brew co. HBA - hoppy brown ale is great!

A fresh Tooheys old is not as bad as some would have you think. drink not too cold but not too hot either.

Other than that stuff that should be in a dans
Lord Nelson Dark ale
Hobgoblin
Newcastle Brown if you can find it in the can

Cooper's dark ale
Two birds sunset ale
Vale brewery amber ale
Zywiec Porter

All I've been able to get via Dan's

Latest posts

Back