Nags Head Bad News About The Hand Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
After a morning photographing the historically significant Glebe Estate in Sydney I miraculously happened on the Nag's Head in Glebe where I had heard they had hand pumped beer via the beer engine.

No hand pumps at the bar, the barman informs me that it's only on 'upstairs' at a beer tasting once a month.

Somewhat compensated for by the verrry noice St Peter's Brewery Blonde. Crisp, malty and a big whack of hops not unlike the Staropramen I was drinking the night before. Blonde in colour only. And it was also on tap at a couple of pubs in Newtown, down the road a bit, when I got there.

The hand pumped beer has been once a month for years.... not sure what the bad news is?

But bad news for those outside of the Illawarra is that Real Ale is healthy and pumped nightly in said environs; and it is brite and fresh and drinkable much more than the murky and sour attempt I had last at the Nags.

Luckily Richard from Barons lives around the corner and we were able to enjoy a few 'R&D' kegs at his place. They were exquisite!

Scotty

After a morning photographing the historically significant Glebe Estate in Sydney I miraculously happened on the Nag's Head in Glebe where I had heard they had hand pumped beer via the beer engine.

No hand pumps at the bar, the barman informs me that it's only on 'upstairs' at a beer tasting once a month.

Somewhat compensated for by the verrry noice St Peter's Brewery Blonde. Crisp, malty and a big whack of hops not unlike the Staropramen I was drinking the night before. Blonde in colour only. And it was also on tap at a couple of pubs in Newtown, down the road a bit, when I got there.

Their Blonde is a good one! I used to pick my pubs by it...

Would the ales be on this friday? I googled and it said first friday of every month............. I don't want to turn up though and get the BribieG experience.

Bribie, in Newtown you should have wandered down King St towards the chimneys at the old brick works, I am sure they would have made for a good photo. You would have been able to smell the mash from St Peters Brewery which is right there in May St.

I won't make it to The Nags on Friday night, but I should be there for the 1st Friday in March. If I am playing cricket on the Saturday it will have to be an early night. The St Peters Blonde is a great drop on tap. When it comes to the hand-pumped ales I like the darker beers Matt does in Winter.
Cheers
Gerard

Friday night, BribieG will be back on Bribie - <_< - I'll pencil it in for next year inshallah.

Someone needs to press the electric window in the up direction I reckon.
In the words of Robert Zimmerman "Your debutante just knows what you need
But I know what you want."
I have not been to the Nags Head so I cannot comment, but then, it is a Midsummer Night.
May your dreams be sweet, sourpuss.

K

Latest posts

Back