My Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
Quite a few brewers suggest cooling the wort quickly after the boil.

So I decided to have a go at making my own wort chiller.

I had 3 rolls of 1/2'' copper pipe that I bought at Bunnings a few months ago for $50 each.

After watching a video on YouTube, I thought anyone could do it.

So, I got one of the rolls and started to wind it around a Corny. Thinking it was only a 6 metre length, I kept coiling the whole lot. After I finished, I put the coil into my boiler, a 20 litre urn. Fitted nicely around the element. Just a little too high. I then read the label on the packaging of the copper pipe and noticed that it was an 18 metre length. Oh well, should fit a bigger boiler if I ever get adventurous. :rolleyes:

Cool_001.jpg

Cool_002.jpg

Cool_003.jpg

Cool_004.jpg

Just for info 'cause I'm proud of my handywork :D

Cheers

I had 3 rolls of 1/2'' copper pipe that I bought at Bunnings a few months ago for $50 each.

So, I got one of the rolls and started to wind it around a Corny. Thinking it was only a 6 metre length, I kept coiling the whole lot. After I finished, I put the coil into my boiler, a 20 litre urn. Fitted nicely around the element. Just a little too high. I then read the label on the packaging of the copper pipe and noticed that it was an 18 metre length. Oh well, should fit a bigger boiler if I ever get adventurous. :rolleyes:

Mate, nice work! :) Mine looks bloody average after I tried to get it perfect by rolling it around thin air :huh:

View attachment 42724

View attachment 42725

View attachment 42726

View attachment 42727

Just for info 'cause I'm proud of my handywork :D

Cheers

You may yet be able to use that chiller without too much wastage if you make the green connection your inlet & the black your outlet. Unwind a few coils from the black & cut at the bottom of the chiller, solder a "push fit" 90 deg elbow (pointing inwards & upwards) to the cut end of the chiller outlet then after straightening out the discarded coils, bring the length straight up the inside of your chiller & bend the outlet to match your inlet.
You can also save room for more copper by clamping the coils similar to the pic below.
Hope this helps?
Chiller.JPG

TP

Almost forgot ---- soldering a couple of small offcuts to the bottom will help the chiller sit "square".
OR --- Forget about the elbow & just wind the outlet up the outside as in the pic. ;)

Have you got plans for a pre chiller? The extra copper could be handy if you plan to make a pre chiller.

You may yet be able to use that chiller without too much wastage if you make the green connection your inlet & the black your outlet. Unwind a few coils from the black & cut at the bottom of the chiller, solder a "push fit" 90 deg elbow (pointing inwards & upwards) to the cut end of the chiller outlet then after straightening out the discarded coils, bring the length straight up the inside of your chiller & bend the outlet to match your inlet.
You can also save room for more copper by clamping the coils similar to the pic below.
Hope this helps?
View attachment 42729

TP

Almost forgot ---- soldering a couple of small offcuts to the bottom will help the chiller sit "square".
OR --- Forget about the elbow & just wind the outlet up the outside as in the pic. ;)

Thanks TP.

It took me long enough to get this far. An extra set of hands would have made the job easier.

I'll just give it a test run as is. After all, it doesn't have to be too pretty. As long as it gets the job done. But first I'll give it a boil in water to clean off the ink and other junk followed by a good soak in sodium percarbonate before use.

Cheers

Have you got plans for a pre chiller? The extra copper could be handy if you plan to make a pre chiller.

G'day Hatchy,

Actually that was the reason I bought 3 rolls. 1 for the chiller, 1 for the pre chiller and 1 for kitchen/bathroom renos.

I'll see how it goes without the pre chiller. I'm using tank water that sits in the shade all day so maybe it'll be cool enough. If not, i'll give the arthritic hands another workout :rolleyes:

Cheers

That's pretty impressive. Obviously a useful handyman around the house. Peakydh I imagine the attempt at rolling the wire around thin air certainly produced some interesting results :) I don't have the balls or the skills to try it in the first place so I'm a little in awe of you boys, haha.

Back