My Session Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I pitch yeast, check the next day to see something is happening and then only check for a smell every few days - only because it smells so good.

Adr_0 said:
maybe on Thurs/Friday 21st/22nd take a gravity sample and see where you are from there.
Hi all and Adrian,
Didnt have much time the last 2 days so this morning 23rd, i checked the Gravity, 1016.
Est was 1011. Should i put in a little sugar anyone or DME to help or let it be for the week?
Cheers

Fendercaster said:
Hi all and Adrian,
Didnt have much time the last 2 days so this morning 23rd, i checked the Gravity, 1016.
Est was 1011. Should i put in a little sugar anyone or DME to help or let it be for the week?
Cheers
No, don't add anything. Give it a gentle swirl a couple of times a day for the next few days & raise temp by 1C if you have temp control. If not, just swirl a couple times a day

stewy said:
No, don't add anything. Give it a gentle swirl a couple of times a day for the next few days & raise temp by 1C if you have temp control. If not, just swirl a couple times a day
Will do. This may seem like a silly question but usually when i test or move the fermenter , due to air pulling, im kegging it that day. is it a silly question to ask is that ok for the beer as long as i replace the airlock? Especially agitation due to the swirling action?

After a few swirls and days i thought id check the levels again.
No change. Still at 1016.
After doing calcs wanting a mid strength i did my OG 1042 (5.5%) - 1016 (2%) which puts it in an ABV of 3.5% which was roughly what i aiming for, (4%) is ideal. Is that it for this brew? The sample is tasty, nice bitter to sweet ratio.

So i finally kegged the brew, carbed and had a taste today. It has a nice taste, getting a bit more of the wheat than i would like and its quite dry at the end. May drop the hop boil time back and dry hop a little more to get more aromas. But i think if this sits for about a month it'll be much nicer.

Back