My Options Brewing With K&e

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark.farrell1

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been brewing for about 4-5 months now and was wondering if there is any things i can add to my bews to enhance flavers. I brew with the can, malt/dextrose, and if the receipe calls for it the frozen hop tea bag. Or is my next step AG.

Cheers AHBwers

Mark

Different hops at different times in different quantities with different methods will give you different results ;-)

Steeping some specialty grains is a fairly easy and very very good way of enhancing any K&K brew.

I was actually looking at asking a simpler question, but this is a close start....

Say a recipe called for the usual kit & kilo, and then says 15g goldings at 15min or whatever (I can't really remember any specific recipes off the top of my head), does that just mean you add the hops with 15min left of the boil with the kit & kilo?

Cheers, Sponge

Yep thats spot on sponge. The longer you boil the more bitter things will become, but will also diminish the aroma. Some recipes also tell you to add hops at flame out, which just means add when you turn off the heat and allow to sit for abit.

Mark1, if you feel like exploring more advance technics, no need to go to AG yet. Listen to Canumbler and check out any threads on partials (there's heaps).

Best of luck.

Since im not too good with the whole knowledge of different grains and what-not... I was planning to do an ale for my next batch (possibly coopers ipa or pa), what additional hops (and for how long) would be good to add to achieve a fairly smooth and drinkable summer ale?

Also, should I be going all Malt Extract (or dried, either way) or go with a mix of ldme and dex?

Cheers, sponge

Here are two recipes you can try or steal ideas from that I got out of a book, Ive only made the first one with Safale us-56 yeast and a Black Rock kit, which turned out to be a good season beer. (Might try s-04 yeast next time though to compare)

Pale Ale #1

Pale ale kit

500g DME

300g Dextrose/Glucose

200g corn syrup

Safale yeast

Pale Ale #2

Lager Kit

500g DME

500g Dex/Glu

60g Crystal grain crushed

15g of Pride of Ringwood flowers boiled for 15min. (bittering hops)

Safale yeast

Both made to final volume of 22L

Best idea would be to follow some recipes to get a feel for how different things affect the taste, than you can start fine tuning your favourite recipes to suit your own taste. (cascade and goldings are both popular hops for ales, which are worth a try) I've never used Ringwood so don't know what it's like, sorry.
End of the day, try different things and go with what you enjoy the most. Love the name and pic by the way. Hope the gong is going well too, just finished degree at the uni, good to finally enjoy weekends without any assignments.

Dave B)

Dravid, where the recipe says 'lager kit' or 'pale ale' kit, does that mean any old one from home brand to malt shovel or is it just down to preference/chance?

Hey beernography, the recipes suggested a Black Rock Pale Ale and a Beermakers lager kit. But I don't think It would make or break the beer, whichever brand you choose. Though I've never tried a homebrand kit, so I'm only guessing.

Back