My New Zealand Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
First night in Christchurch was great. We lobbed at our room and found out that the Dux de Lux was about 200m down the road. Stopped in for one beer and to hit their ATM and see our first currency. Their notes aren't as pretty as ours but at least the size of their coins makes sense. We ended up at The Twisted Hop and were treated great by the bar manager, Dave when I told him I was a member of this site and the place had been recommended by guys on here. Sampled all their beers and the food was fantastic. I can't remember getting that excited by fish and chips before and Teri's salmon was cooked to perfection. Dave then suggested we come back tomorrow to meet the head brewer, Sean, and one of the owners, Stephen who I had been in contact with via email. We agreed to this and had a great tour of the brewery with Sean even though for some reason we both seemed to have sore heads from the night before. My faves here were Twisted's Challenger, Goldings Bitter and their new Oatmeal Stout. Teri loved the Three Boys wheat, this was a very refreshing lemon driven hoegaarden style, on a hot day I would gladly consume several litres of this myself.

twisteddave.jpg
twistedfood.jpg
twistedpull.jpg
twistedsean.jpg

A relatively new player in Christchurch is the Three Boys brewery. I rang the owner, Ralph, the next morning before going back to the Hop. Unfortunately he was too busy to hook up but said he had some beers he would drop down to the Hop later that day for me to try. Free beer, oh dear. Who am I to say no? I was so impressed I bought a few glasses before we left this wonderful city.

twistedfreebies.jpg

A quick note on another Christchurch establishment called the Dux de Lux. It's a pub. The bar staff looked at me blankly when I asked if I could see their brewery and I got 'Naa mate, we don't do that anymore' from a large tattooed gentleman. Don't get me wrong their beers were nice but to me they all tasted like the same hops, likely the famous kiwi sauvin, had been used in every one of them. When we got to Queenstown I decided to give the one there a go. The brewer actually let me in and he was making a 'wheat' beer. He recieves his yeast in a bucket which is sent down to him from Christchurch. The wheat beer uses an ale yeast and is brewed at 18 degrees. It did not taste like a wheat beer surprisingly. Again don't take this the wrong way, if they set up one of these here I would do backflips. Their beer is superior to anything you can get at my horrible local bottlo. They seem to have lost that hunger to excel though IMHO. When I go back to Chch it's straight back to the Twisted Hop for little ole me.

Stay tuned for my next post about Dunedin. We got treated even better down there!

Great update Henno.
The Twisted Hop is one of my favs too. Even though it can be a little hunt to find it up the laneway in the courtyard, it shouldn't be missed.
Last time I was there I organised to meet some Chch mates there, and they hadn't even heard of the place :p

Doc

Im glad it wasnt just me that wasnt thrilled with Dux DeLux. I had heard from friends that it was the monkeys chunkies, but I much preferred the Twisted Hop.
Every beer in the Twisted Hop brought tears of joy to my eyes.

While you are on South Island, grab Macs from the supermarket. They are all wonderful. The Great White wit is and the Red are my personaly favorites.

Oh, yeah.. and at least have one go of a happy tap in a big pub... it feels really weird.... :eek:

I got mine hand pulled at the Twisted Hop :D I love that they give you a score sheet with the tasting tray and encourage you to add it to ratebeer.My fave was the Golding bitter so much flavour and @ 3.7% I could sit on it all night,the barley wine I also rate highly and the missus love the 3 boys wheat.

I was at Dux Delux in Queenstown about a month ago and was entirely underwhelmed by the beers. I tried a selection and while they were nice, they didn't seem to have enough character to set them apart from each other.

Man I must get down to Christchurch one day, Dunedin too!

You coming up Auckland ways?

No mate, I am already back in Aus working my fingers to the elbows.

Underwhelming is a great description of the Dux' beers actually earle. Too similar from tap to tap, somebody has dropped the ball there I reckon.

Deadly: I never got to see the score sheets as I never did the tasting tray but that goldings was darn good. If I go back I would sit on that all night I reckon, I wasn't there long enough though and had to taste everything. What a chore it was.

Tears of joy is exactly right Swinging Beef. Sometimes I would find myself saying 'Yes, yes, yes' between mouthfuls.

twistedfront.jpg
Long live the Twisted Hop

The old Twisted Hop's my "local". They've recently replaced the oatmeal stout (the winter seasonal) with a pretty decent IIPA by the name of "Skull Buggery".

Any who passes through Chch MUST go there and get into the beers there.

So where is the update from Dunedin ? :p

Doc
bump,dunedin,did you go to emersons,just reading your post's brings back memories off my south island holiday..........go on torture (us) me..........cheers.....spog.....

Latest posts

Back