My Munich Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
well I've been severely chastised for having the temerity of posting purchased beers in the "what's in teh glass" thread so here is my very own thread.

And here are the beers that I purchased today.

gallery_3596_331_30537.jpg

HWMBO is currently fortifying himself wit the hacker-pschorr .. he likes it .. I'm not enamoured.

well I've been severely chastised for having the temerity of posting purchased beers in the "what's in teh glass" thread so here is my very own thread.

And here are the beers that I purchased today.

gallery_3596_331_30537.jpg

HWMBO is currently fortifying himself wit the hacker-pschorr .. he likes it .. I'm not enamoured.

Jelous:) I bet they taste nice and fresh compared to the ones shipped over here.

Just a notion :eek:

There not in the glass, yet. So, it is the pics are appropriately placed in another thread :p

No chance for beer getting light struck.

Ohh nice collection braufrau
Any chance of a taste notes?

+1 For tasting notes. Those beers look nice. As does the sunlight in the background. Mmmm, sunlight.

Here is the weihenstephan in the glass I just bought at a ginormous flea market for 1 euro.

gallery_3596_331_8734.jpg

The glass is etched with hops.

Anyway, tasting notes ... here i go revealing my hopeless palate and total ignorance of beer ...
well the hacker pschorr I thought was exceptionally bland with an unpleasant taste of something or other, which I attributed to DMS. HWMBO on the other hand thought it was deliciously malty.

I thought the weihenstephan was a much more interesting beer. It has a light citrusy zingy thing going and an ever so faint taste of some lolly like ester like bubble gum. Is that possible in a helles?
HWMBO didn't like it as much as the hacker pschorr because of the malt thing.

HWMBO is lining up the dead bottles on top of the kitchen cupboards in the order in which he ranks them. If nothing else on this trip I'll discover something about his tastes in beer! I have a funny feeling that there is a lot of things in beer he can't taste ... like hops and yeast. :unsure:

Anyway, tasting notes ... here i go revealing my hopeless palate and total ignorance of beer ...
well the hacker pschorr I thought was exceptionally bland with an unpleasant taste of something or other, which I attributed to DMS. HWMBO on the other hand thought it was deliciously malty.

I thought the weihenstephan was a much more interesting beer. It has a light citrusy zingy thing going and an ever so faint taste of some lolly like ester like bubble gum. Is that possible in a helles?
HWMBO didn't like it as much as the hacker pschorr because of the malt thing.

Last time I had the Weihenstephaner Original I thought it tasted exactly like my home brewed version. I'm still not sure whether that made me feel good or bad. On the one hand it's great to know that you have cloned a beer like this, on the other hand I still expect something 'more' from commercial beers.

And the lesson for today is Hefe-Weissbier!

gallery_3596_331_13649.jpg

braufrau, thats an absolutely great selection, almost all of my favorite Weissbeers.

Id like to know from you which one youd like most.

for my own taste I would say:

1. Franziskaner
2. Schneider
3. Schfferhoffer
4. Paulaner
5. Wieninger I dont really know

but we have a saying: "the ones owl is the otherones nightingale" ;)

edit: spelling

Hi,

nice selection, really! My favorite would be the Paulaner but the dark version because this is much more tasty (rounded) and a bit more malty. It has not that slightly bitter aftertast than the pale version exhibits.

Ever tried the Weihenstephaner dark? This is a malt explosion, unbelievable! Worth trying that, if you ever have the chance to catch that stuff in Australia!

Cheers

Michael

Hi,

nice selection, really! My favorite would be the Paulaner but the dark version because this is much more tasty (rounded) and a bit more malty. It has not that slightly bitter aftertast than the pale version exhibits.

Ever tried the Weihenstephaner dark? This is a malt explosion, unbelievable! Worth trying that, if you ever have the chance to catch that stuff in Australia!

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

we're in munich. We'll do dunkels next week. :) I cannot find weihenstephaner other than the orginal anywhere! It would be easier to wait until we're home where we can get the whole range at the local pub.
Any hints as to where to find weihenstephaner, other than the brewery would be appreciated. Experienced this frustration last year too! :(

-s

Hello, braufrau,

if you`re in Munich you should find this beer in nearly every beverages store. This Weissbier is not rare in that area.

Good luck! And cheers!

Greets

Michael

I used to live in Germany - and finding beer was pretty easy - you could get them EVERYWHERE.

The best places that I found for buying beers was a Getraenkemarkt (drink market) - they have all the crates of beer and orange juice and water - you can get basically anything there.

These drink markets are usually next to supermarkets or throughout the city (as this is where everyone buys their drinks from - non-alcoholic and alcoholic).

Enjoy! - oh and try and buy a litre of apfelwein from Aldi (they are only 1 euro and are great)

Phil

Brau

I don't recall any disclaimers or conditions so I fail to see what the problem is with taking photos of purchased beer in the "whats in the glass" thread!? I say keep posting them and a 2 finger salute to anyone who has a problem with it. ;)

Hello, braufrau,

if you`re in Munich you should find this beer in nearly every beverages store. This Weissbier is not rare in that area.

Good luck! And cheers!

Greets

Michael

You would think wouldn't you? well i have been to 3 getrankemarkts and kaufman and karstadt and no weihenstephaner other than the original at one of those stores. :(
Weird isn't it? Last year I asked at the bottle shop around the corner and he said he could get it if I asked nicely but I wuold have to buy a case. Well if I wanted a case of one variety HWMBO could have got it off the truck,.
gallery_3596_331_61458.jpg

Maybe I should email the brewery. :( :)

Hello, braufrau,

wow, thats unbelievable!!! It`s far off my imagination not to get a famous beer in a beer region...

Anyways, perhaps it is easier to get this beer in Australia... ;)

Cheers

Michael

How is it that you always seem to be in Munich at this time of year Braufrau? Just a coincidence I think not!

Oh dear. Seems like what you like he doesn't, and vica versa. Could be good, could be bad. At least you know he wont be stealing your beers =).

can't wait to hear the tasting notes on the wheats.

Try Ayinger, cant remember what they make other than Celabrator the doppel bock but sure they do other beer. anotther good one to try is Huber from Graflick von Moysches (or some thing like that ) from Freising also home of weihenstephan. from memory not far out of munchen...

Try Ayinger, cant remember what they make other than Celabrator the doppel bock but sure they do other beer. anotther good one to try is Huber brom Graflick von Moysches (or some thing like that ) from Freising also home of weihenstephan. from memory not far out of munchen...
Celebrator is without doubt one nicest beers i've ever come across. Tried it the Ayinger brewery bar thingy (just across from the Hofbrau Haus) when I was in Munich earlier this year. Sensational!
Also tried their hefeweizen and kellerbier, both excellent! Well worth a look if you can find them.

mmmm Ayinger :drool: their Dunkel is very nice.
Jump on the train for a short ride to Aying and visit the brewery, do the tour, go to their pub(Liebhards) in the middle of town(near old brewery, short walk from the new brewery) and enjoy the scenery, and cheap beer, awesome food and great atmosphere(all local townfolk when I was there).
If you're lucky the pub will have the same quirky band I saw, bunch of guys dressed in flouro-red overalls.... but good music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayinger_Brewery
http://www.ayinger-bier.de/

Latest posts

Back