My Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
hi guy's just finnished my mill and wanted to show and tell
the rollers are 2in* 8in ss that i scabed from work and got knerled at work
the aluminium plate was free and the rest cost about $40.
I recon that the mill's on the market are completly worth it as i spent about 15 hours making it.
I ran some grain thru it the other day and played around with the gap setting.
I started out useing my GMC battery drill but it didn't have enough gut's so i got my hilti battery drill (work's)

which did it with no worries

View attachment 20932View attachment 20933View attachment 20934View attachment 20935View attachment 20936View attachment 20937
the first crush is at 1.2 mm and the second is at 1.5mm

Nice work Matho, another work of art :super:

As you've probably worked out already, the 1.5ml crush is too wide, the 1.2 looks good - just make sure any whole grains crumble between your fingers - if they don't, decrease the gap a tad further.

cheers Ross

very nice job mate , well done !!!

its probably time i got of my arse and got the stand/hopper for my monster mill organised and alsosomething to spin it

The 1.2mm crush looks heaps better..It has more flour in it...

My mill, which has similar rollers is set to about .9mm, so you may want to give that a go..

15hours? yeah even if i could build one, probably wouldn't have the patience. very nice work tho, i'm impressed.

I originally was going to try 0.8mm , 1mm and 1.2mm but when i tried .8mm with my gmc battery drill it just wouldn't crush.
then i tried the other settings still would not crush unless i got i running then poured the grains in slowly.
I made a plate up for the bottom of the hopper to reduce the opening to about 6mm but that didn't help to much.
I finally decided to go to my work van and get the hilti battery drill, it had no problems crushing but i only had enough grain left to do two settings.
thanks for the advice when i get more grain i will try finer settings.

cheer's

The "Tony" mill that I have, which looks the same dimensions as yours needs a decent motor ( I think it is a 1/4 Hp ) to get it to go.....in fact the motor I have on it needs a help hand to get it started, then once it is running it is OK...

You will be suprised at just how much power it will take to drive it....

I probably would use a drill long term, unless you have a good supply of them..

Way too much flour in the 1.2mm crush, you'll never get that to float.

The mill is great tho. How adjustable is it?

To much flour.... :eek:

I like a bit more flour than that...and still get 75-80%..

It depends on how much husk you get..it is possible to get good flour AND husks..

post,
the mill can be adjusted between 0mm to 5mm.

post,
the mill can be adjusted between 0mm to 5mm.
Wow.. that looks mighty!
I just bought a marga mill, and would like to get ideas on pulleys and motors to motorise the beast.
I dont think going back to bunnings every three weeks on warrantee claims for burned out drills is the right way to go. ;)

Goddam new age floaters! Crush the lot to a fine powder, then spend a few months designing a manifold to cope with it!

so after years of good service I have decided to gear my mill. I have always noticed a bit of husk shredding and have been meaning to fix it

mill.JPG

we will see how it goes

Great idea, that looks like a surprisingly simple mod in comparison to the mill itself.

Great idea for those with failing monster mills, but their design might not allow that, not sure.

matho said:
so after years of good service I have decided to gear my mill. I have always noticed a bit of husk shredding and have been meaning to fix it

attachicon.gif
mill.JPG

we will see how it goes
God you handy pricks make me sick!

the teeth are long enough to cope with up to a 5mm gap. I made sure that they over lapped enough to be able to be adjusted

The mill gives a really crush with both rollers driven, the latest problem has been when I moisten the grain, the load on the mill increases too much for my little jaw coupler to cope so I went to my local bearing mob and got a lovejoy L075 jaw coupling to handle the load. the next up grade is to replace the drill with a recently found induction motor, I just have to turn the shaft down to a 1/2" diameter.

SANY0001.JPG

cheers steve

just finished fitting the motor to the mill and I'm very happy, the motor has enough torque to start with grain in the hopper and it is a lot quiter than the drill motor. The drive line is nice and strong and the crush is excellent.

SANY0002.JPG

SANY0006.JPG

cheers steve

edit: the mill went through 1.2kg of grain in under 1 min

Back