maltmuncher - 0.100 = 1mm?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
been struggling with efficiency, then I borrowed a 20L brau, and payed a bit more attention to my milling.

I've got a 2 roller KK Malt Muncher with a ozito drill running it slow.

Following the Brau instructions noticed having it set to 0.100 (I assume is 1mm) was doing basically nothing! lots of untouched grain, and had to run it through multiple times, ending up using 0.075 on the mill, which still have me terrible efficiency, even on the 20L brau - 6kg of grain in 25L getting 1.030 after 1hr at 63c!

soo, having a look at the gap, 0.100 looks to measure more than 2mm. Check out the piece of metal I put down between the rollers - is this normal or is my mill waaaaay out?

does 0.100 = 1mm. looking at the maltmuncher page on grain n grape, says there's a maximum gap of 2.5mm...am I missing something?!

full

full

full

this could have been after the 3rd run through the mill:
full

Yep they are in Imperial measures, I had mine set to 1.1mm by feeler gauges for the Guten. Worked OK for most grains, went down to 1 mm when I started to condition the grain but it was a bitch to clean. European grains are normally bigger in size so you might try a handful at 1.2mm for those types of grains.

thanks fellas, yeah, gotta be imperial! Just slighlty annoying as it's a KK mill, and there's no unit marking :/

Latest posts

Back