My micro brewery dream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the labels Matty. Will I be able to get my hands on some over here in Victoria at some stage or are you only selling locally?

Curly79 said:
Love the labels Matty. Will I be able to get my hands on some over here in Victoria at some stage or are you only selling locally?
Hi Curly!

We'll be doing online sales as well mate. We will launch the website once our licence is issued. Even got a members club you can join.

Cheers
Matty

I have been following this post but yet to congratulate you mate, so congratulations! Loving the updates, thanks for posting your progress. It is inspirational.

Congratulations, been following and look forward to the updates. Love the logo and labels.

Shmick looking labels,the yacht making up letter L in your name is very clever and eye catching ,the angled neck label also.
Look'n good.

Had a young local fella who runs his own business finish off my tank mods while I'm up at work (second last swing!!!). Will save me a good weeks labour welding it up myself that can be better spent working on the brewery building. DAMN he's doing a fine job!! Big thanks to Jake at Albany Stainless Steel.

Also our advertising period with the local city council for the brewery finished yesterday. No letters of opposition from the public in my locality only a letter of support that asked that appropriate planning conditions to control noise, smell etc are followed. Excellent news for me, a good six months work getting the application in correctly with the council and addressing all issues.

Also got my FIFO contract finishing on 10th of November.......then full time brewer!!! WOO HOO!!

Cheers Lads,

Matty.

20150925_073454.jpg
20150925_073510.jpg
20150925_073544.jpg
20150925_073551.jpg
20150925_073608.jpg

That boil kettle is going to look soooo good with 33kw of ripple elements jammed in. Should boil pretty hard, pretty fast. I'm wiring in switches to control the elements in groups of two in case I need to flick a couple off once I hit the boil.

Got six of the Camco ULWD 5500W ripple elements in the brewers hardware housings, should look schmick as!!

Cheers
Matty.

Eleadp.JPG
camcoripple.JPG

Hey mate, just a quick question about your labels...will the beer style and/or nickname be on the front of the label?

How will you be bottling? I'm on my phone and can't see previous posts if it has already been covered.

chrisluki said:
Hey mate, just a quick question about your labels...will the beer style and/or nickname be on the front of the label?
Hi chrisluki, the beer name and style is on the side of the label at the moment. It looks really good but we have thought about fridge presentation to customers and them not being able to see it directly.

We've done a few trails with an extended panel below the main circle but havent quite locked it in yet. The six pack and carton designs are cool as with the names at the front. So we'll have to see how it develops over the next few months.

Cheers
Matty

Going to make your genny work hard haha

Lucky you have it but .... Can imagine the whole street going dark while you boil

Looking good Matty !!

mckenry said:
How will you be bottling? I'm on my phone and can't see previous posts if it has already been covered.
Hi mckenry. We are building a 4 head counter pressure filler that is fed directly from the bright tank. S/S ball valves run by auber timers. Manual load and unload. Pneumatic single capper run with a foot peddle. All labelled, filled, capped and cartoned by hand at this stage. I'll upload some pics for you to have a look at once its together a bit more.

Cheers
Matty.

I seriously hope it won't be too long before your beers make it to QLD, can't wait to try some!

How often do you anticipate you will be running the brewhouse initially? Daily?

Matplat said:
How often do you anticipate you will be running the brewhouse initially? Daily?
For me its fermenter and bright tank space that is the restriction. Initially we will start with the first batch and work up from there! The business model is 4 batches roughly every ten days. That's running 4x fermentors on rotation and 1x equivalent size bright tank for carbonation. My goal is to hit that output then look at expanding. You have to start somewhere!! I want to get up to 4 beers in the core range and do a monthly small batch seasonal release. SO we will start with the first core beer and then slowly introduce the others.

Cheers

Due to our low overheads, I don't have to worry about the bank shutting us down if we don't produce and hit our targets, so way less stress. My Mrs. has spent the last 3 years smashing and aligning our finances while I work FIFO to try and make it as successful as possible (pretty damn tricky when you have little kids!). The business and financial side is definitely the part you need to plan most and has been the hardest and longest to organize. Setting up / developing the brewing gear and actually brewing beer is the easy part! and the part you enjoy and look forward to the most!!

Wilson Brewing Company said:
Hi chrisluki, the beer name and style is on the side of the label at the moment. It looks really good but we have thought about fridge presentation to customers and them not being able to see it directly.

We've done a few trails with an extended panel below the main circle but havent quite locked it in yet. The six pack and carton designs are cool as with the names at the front. So we'll have to see how it develops over the next few months.

Cheers
Matty
Having worked in the industry, that was going to be my one piece of advice for you...you have to think about how they present to a customer who is faced with a fridge full of options...make it easy for them to pick you!

And as someone who's worked in liquor retail for 10 years I'd have to second that. Style/type on the side is a probable issue. If you ever set your beer in the wider retail world the style/beer type on the side is going to lose you customers who only do a quick scan. It's also likely to piss off retailers who have to continually realign your beer on the shelf after people turn the bottle to see what it is. Keeping shelves neat is a constant pain in the butt.

Back