My Mate's A Knob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope.

Southwark Bitter is green death.

The Pale is a relative recent beer.

Ive haerd the same. The bitter was allway green death but these days its VB. And the pale its a pitty they dont make it anymore. I used to drink heaps of that

Ive haerd the same. The bitter was allway green death but these days its VB. And the pale its a pitty they dont make it anymore. I used to drink heaps of that

Apparently it's being sold in pubs around SA under different names, such as 'OG Pale ale' (I'll cue QB's more informative explanation)

Apparently it's being sold in pubs around SA under different names, such as 'OG Pale ale' (I'll cue QB's more informative explanation)
Yeah - that was interesting. I dropped into 'The O.G. Hotel' a little while ago and noticed 'O.G. Pale Ale' on one of the taps. I enquired (they don't have a brewery) was offered a sample and noticed that it was distinctly Southwark Pale Ale (brought back some terrible memories of my undergrad nights in the UniBar). I asked and confirmed that it was indeed SPA.

The explanation; Southwark are sick and tired of people associating the word 'pale' with 'Coopers Pale Ale' and they're trying to get some of the market back. You can go into a pub in Adelaide, order 'a pale' and you will surely get Coopers. Apparently their logic is that if they can get people believing that there is another 'pale' out there, they can edge back into the market. If they just put their big Southwark logo on the taps again, it will be ignored.

... and I was really hoping that they had opened a brewery in the damn pub. <_<

You can go into a pub in Adelaide, order 'a pale' and you will surely get Coopers.

Yeah everywhere here when you ask for a "pint of pale" will undoubtedly get you a coopers pale ale.

I can't say I know the Southark brew but I certainly know the pain of hangovers from the UniBar!
:icon_cheers:

UniBar is dead :(

Taken over by CUB, Jim Beam and food worse than the Mayo.

UniBar is dead :(

Taken over by CUB, Jim Beam and food worse than the Mayo.

I was there a while ago after a meeting at the Uni and we went for old time's sake - I couldn't believe the booths were gone!

It was all hard seats and awful decor. I was served my coopers dark ale in plastic.... The end, won't ever go back.

(Apparently the whole Union House building is now run by the National Wine Centre)

Yep, has been for a while (since VSU I think)... just be thankful you didn't order any food. :icon_vomit:

Hilarious thread... This is what happens when you ask a question on beery forum :)

Also, cans are better than bottles! I'm totally pro-can.

nope.

Southwark Bitter is green death.

The Pale is a relative recent beer.

Yep, Southwark Bitter always had a green label, hence the Green Death nick.
Maybe why they changed the label to the wanky blue one!

Nige

I was there a while ago after a meeting at the Uni and we went for old time's sake - I couldn't believe the booths were gone!

It was all hard seats and awful decor. I was served my coopers dark ale in plastic.... The end, won't ever go back.

(Apparently the whole Union House building is now run by the National Wine Centre)

The student bar at Roseworthy Campus is also run by the Wine Centre, just not the same anymore!

Nige

The student bar at Roseworthy Campus is also run by the Wine Centre, just not the same anymore!

Nige

while I dont like to hear it was taken over by CUB,
you cant seriouly tell me that you thought the unibar food was "nice" I mean chips and gravey, parmy's tough to get wrong

Might be tough to get wrong but I've tasted many an inferior one. Chips might be simple but simple food is obvious when it's crap. How many times have you eaten a chip and thought 'mmmmmmmmmmm that's a perfect chip?'

No... they were palatable. There's a big difference between "actual chicken breasts crumbed on site, with freshly cooked chips and actual gravy" and "pre-cooked schnitzels the size of two chicken nuggets mashed together, cold cardboard chips, and this horrible looking, foul tasting brown glaze they call gravy".

Back