My Mate's A Knob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UniBar is dead :(

Taken over by CUB, Jim Beam and food worse than the Mayo.
I don't think CUB or Jim Beam ever had any ownership. There's sponsorship (plenty of Coopers stuff on the walls too). There was a brief period last year when it was run by a decent guy - sponsorship for clubs, good beer prices, new pool tables, but no food to be found. Then NWC took over (all of catering on campus) and it got worse.

The Mayo food has slightly improved lately, but the prices have become out of reach for a realistic student budget.

I was there a while ago after a meeting at the Uni and we went for old time's sake - I couldn't believe the booths were gone!

It was all hard seats and awful decor. I was served my coopers dark ale in plastic.... The end, won't ever go back.

(Apparently the whole Union House building is now run by the National Wine Centre)
Depending on how long ago you were there... there are still booths over by the windows. Same ones have been there the last 8 years I've been here. They do have hard seats though.

All of Uni catering is run by NWC. They aren't necessarily doing a bad job, coffee's still $2 which ain't too bad compared to the outrageous prices over the road (approaching double that). I haven't been happy with the UniBar since they removed the rowboat from the ceiling.

Yep, has been for a while (since VSU I think)... just be thankful you didn't order any food. :icon_vomit:
Not that the schnitties were all that great before. They were cheap, that's what they were. If they happened to be out of the week old coleslaw you would get a tiny chocolate instead. Mmmm. Nutrition!

Where was I? Oh, yeah - my terrible undergrad drinking. We used to get various food/drink vouchers in the student diaries. These vouchers ran out last day of term 1. Ne'er a year went by without that last day having the UniBar full of people, and a massive stack of torn-up diaries littering just outside the door.

I have a vague recollection of an evening in which a mate and I used up all of the beer vouchers, each, on the first night of term 1. This night included the following conversation;

Me: "Only one voucher left - 2 for 1 Southwark White. 2 Whites please"
Barmaid: "Really? Have you tried this beer?"
Me: " ... No. 2 Whites please"
Barmaid: "I bet you don't finish 'em both, here ya go"
Me: "Pfft." <sip> "... I'll just leave this second one here then."

That night ended at another bar, with one of us falling down a flight of stairs at 2am with an open beer bottle in their jacket breast pocket, which promptly spilled all over them. Both getting a taxi to one of our places. One of us throwing up on the front lawn. One of us making it to the 8a.m. lecture, the other sleeping on the bathroom floor. I'll leave a bit of mystery as to which person did which.

Hilarious thread... This is what happens when you ask a question on beery forum :)

Also, cans are better than bottles! I'm totally pro-can.

Trevc .. welcome back. Missed your mug on the thread !

Cans / Bottles / kegs ... no preference .. its what's inside that counts !

I don't think CUB or Jim Beam ever had any ownership.

I meant sponsorship-wise.

Where was I? Oh, yeah - my terrible undergrad drinking. We used to get various food/drink vouchers in the student diaries. These vouchers ran out last day of term 1. Ne'er a year went by without that last day having the UniBar full of people, and a massive stack of torn-up diaries littering just outside the door.

I just don't recall those days :)

Well, I guess they still have the guru up on the wall.

Beer in a can should be baned. It is horrid.

Au contraire my friend, feast your eyes on this beauty...

608_926_Amsterdam_Maximator_(prk).jpg

Shit!, I'm gonna need more ink for my printer!.

Anyway, dispute settled, coopers confirmed it.

I think I'll be grabbing some wicked elf pales this weekend :)

Cheers Lads!

We're off topic enough anyway;

I think I'll be grabbing some wicked elf pales this weekend :)
Meh. I tried one of those the other week and was rather unimpressed. Perhaps it was old, but it was a bit soapy on the mouthfeel. Certainly better than megaswill, but not quite enough to make me want more. I should try the rest of the range sometime.

Meh. I tried one of those the other week and was rather unimpressed. Perhaps it was old, but it was a bit soapy on the mouthfeel. Certainly better than megaswill, but not quite enough to make me want more. I should try the rest of the range sometime.

I must have got a good batch when I tried it, 'cos I loved it.
It did have a unique mouthfeel, I'll grab it again and see how it goes.
Pretty poor if it's inconsistent.

All of Uni catering is run by NWC. They aren't necessarily doing a bad job, coffee's still $2 which ain't too bad compared to the outrageous prices over the road (approaching double that).

there used to be a cafe near the top level of the same building that the unibar is in that made great coffee.

have to admit, I always ventured outside the gates to much better drinking opportunities. SwotVac was in the basement of the library and then when nothing else would fit in, a short stroll over to the British for what ever the budget could fit in. Now there is a pub worthy of mention!

2nd, 3rd and 4th years I was at Waite, well supposed to be. It is amazing how much study you can get in at the Ed!

Waite is a campus screaming out for a decent bar. although BYO was the norm on the lawns.

Kirem: The rainbow room? :lol: I'm guessing you mean Rumours... yeah it's still there. A lot more coffee available around UA now.. not worth going upstairs now.

Kirem: The rainbow room? :lol: I'm guessing you mean Rumours... yeah it's still there. A lot more coffee available around UA now.. not worth going upstairs now.

I can't remember the name of it.

Is the rainbow room that room full of strange drama type people from another planet?

No, that's the mature aged student association!

The rainbow room is the gay bar.

hey I was a mature age student, well 26.

But I thought all people from Adelaide are either queer or a serial killer :ph34r:

Maybe it should be Adelaide Uni, rainbow campus
:icon_cheers:

I'm pretty sure Pale Ale got it's name cos in the olden days it was brewed by albino slaves.

Hey BeeryF!

Has said mate been told he is a complete beer tard yet?

Chappo

Yeah I got a text thisarvo from him, all it said was:

What do you want?, You're limit is $20

Based on his intelligence I'm sure you could get a greenie out of him.

Based on his intelligence I'm sure you could get a greenie out of him.

Nah, parting with money?, he's all over that!!

He just doesn't know when to back out of a bet.
I'm happy with a redback and stroll around Dan Murphys.
He'll be expecting to drink it with me too, I might shout him a can of VB and tell him its a sparkling larger blond bitter, Mexican pale Belgium ale.

Yeah I got a text thisarvo from him, all it said was:

What do you want?, You're limit is $20

Hey Beery get a bottle of Chimay and watch him choke at the price of one bottle of beer. Then watch his face when he tries it. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Chappo

Back