My Lime Infused Beer - 'mexican Madness'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benbrewer

Reaction score
After finding inspiration on this site I have just put down my own Lime Infused Beer. Hopefully it will be okay as my wife loves the Millers Chill style.

Ingredients
Cortes Cerveza Morgans Chairman Selection can
Brew Cellar European Lager yeast (comes with can)
1kg Malt/Dextrose/Corn syrup blend From LHBS
juice 1 large lemon
juice 5 limes

Method

Juice fruit, I microwaved them as you get more juice out when they are warm. Added 500ml water and boiled and simmered 10 mins.
Add to fermenter sugar blend and a touch of hot water and stir
Add can of wort
Add strained juice/water mixture
Topped up to 10 litres and then a real good stir
top up to 23 litres

At this stage the wort was at 24C and I added ice cubes but still stayed 22-23C. I used less than 1 litre of boiling water all up.
The yeast will work at 25-30c according to packet but recommended is 12-15. It's 37C here in Perth at moment and tap water is hot!

Pitched yeast and put in my big esky and added ice blocks. I have those flexible ice packs you use for sports injuries so wrapped them round the fermenter. I am going to work on keeping this as cool as I can, but don't have a spare fridge so esky and ice will be the method.

Starting SG is 1039.

It has a very fruity fragrance (no surprise there) and is sweet but has an interesting flavour.

Hopefully it will turn out, otherwise I will have 19ltr to get rid of and tie up a keg

How informative of you! :huh:

I would just brew a mex cev and buy the missus a bag of lime's, she knows how to use a knife ;)

How about Kaffir Lime leaves.

I am still waiting to have a go at chilli and kaffir lime with Coopers Mex. Inspired by Katie :icon_chickcheers:

Got the can of goo but then couldn't find any fresh leaves that week so had to do a Morgans Blue Mtn. lager instead. :icon_offtopic:

How informative of you! :huh:
Well yes Adamt, you are correct it is informative of me, as this is the place to let people know about kits you are doing and how you have gone about it.

My mouse pad is rather sensitive so it thought a single click was a double and posted the reply before I was finished, as you can see you responded before I had a chance to complete the post.

I hope the rest makes more sense :icon_cheers:

How did the Lime infused beer turn out?
Also, to Tropical brews, did you ever try the kaffir lime leaves idea? And if you did, what did you do?
I'm keen to throw some extra flavours in the fermenter, but have no idea where to start.

Ive just finished mine witht he same concentrate and yeast however instead of juicing the fruit i went with:

Shaved rind off 3 limes a lemon and an orange, add 200ml of honey, boil and let simmer for 15mins

strain, then add to the wart

turned out great

the aroma is soooo strong but the taste is very smooth!

Ive just finished mine witht he same concentrate and yeast however instead of juicing the fruit i went with:

Shaved rind off 3 limes a lemon and an orange, add 200ml of honey, boil and let simmer for 15mins

strain, then add to the wart

turned out great

the aroma is soooo strong but the taste is very smooth!

was this for a 23L batch? might have to give it a go

How about Kaffir Lime leaves.

I am still waiting to have a go at chilli and kaffir lime with Coopers Mex. Inspired by Katie :icon_chickcheers:

Got the can of goo but then couldn't find any fresh leaves that week so had to do a Morgans Blue Mtn. lager instead. :icon_offtopic:

I used Kaffir limes in my Ginger Beer and my last Belgian Wit. I only use two leaves, as they are very potent. If you want fresh leaves, buy a plant and put it in a pot. The plants cost a lot but you have fresh leaves on tap whenever you need it (we use them in soups, curries, stir frys, and home brewing). Trying to buy the leaves every time is a PITA. If you're in a cool climate like me, the plant will need to be sheltered in winter, or the leaves picked and frozen for use in winter.

I've also used both the juice AND the rind in my GB's. The juice really adds a tartness, but the flavour/aroma seems to come from the rind IMHO. I like the idea of adding honey. I might try one of these. I reckon a quick hop addition might make it interesting too, like a citra.

I have just started brewing some cerveza myself. is it best to have corona like stubbies for bottling or is any stubbie ok? I'm fairly new to home brewing but if this turnes out well I look forward to trying out that rind and honey mix.

I used Kaffir leaves in a mint lime brew that I threw together in a carboy. The smell was overpowering but during fermentation faded. Initial tasting was quite strong in taste but after some conditioning time in the bottle mellowed to just a delicious aftertaste! I'm going to do that brew again for next summer.

I have just started brewing some cerveza myself. is it best to have corona like stubbies for bottling or is any stubbie ok? I'm fairly new to home brewing but if this turnes out well I look forward to trying out that rind and honey mix.

Any stubbie is fine >) :rolleyes:

Any stubbie is fine >) :rolleyes:

Unless you're worried about lightstrike, then Corona bottles are the worst. cjbrown, the bottles will be fine as long as you can be sure they'll never be in direct light until you drink them they will be okay - otherwise, brown is best.

Latest posts

Back