My Fridge Keeps Freezing My Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieJosh

Reaction score
Hi all

my fridge keeps freezing my keged beer and other drinks after it has been on for about 12hrs.
Right now i just turn it off when i go to bed and back on when i wake up ready for drinking when i get home. But how do i stop it from freezing!?
Is there an easy and cheap way!? Or should i just get a new fridge!?
Cheers!

Josh.

just an obvious one here have you tried turning it down in settings or making sure that its not too close to the cooling element if its an older style fridge

just an obvious one here have you tried turning it down in settings or making sure that its not too close to the cooling element if its an older style fridge

OMG I never thought of that!

Lol sorry just joking with ya! the fridge is on the warmest setting, Cooling element is at the top, the keg is sitting on the base not really near it and there is no (freezer) so to speak, its just a fridge.

Sounds like the thermostat has packed up to me.

A cheap solution is a cheap temp controller off evilbay.

I sometimes bump the temp dial in my fridge accidentally when moving kegs around - causes havoc when it freezes things!

OMG I never thought of that!

Lol sorry just joking with ya! the fridge is on the warmest setting, Cooling element is at the top, the keg is sitting on the base not really near it and there is no (freezer) so to speak, its just a fridge.
after working where i do, i tend to give this sort of advice first. seriously i think we have all the special people in the command chain at work. so sorry if i sounded stupid

I have a fridge that if left to it's own devices would probably freeze Victoria in a heatwave..

I still havnt made the jump to a tempmate or such (still!! :blink:) but simply have a timer plugged in.. fewer hours on of a night, an extra few on if it's a smoking hot day.. I actually like the extra attention it makes me pay to whats going on.. I can generally keep to a degree or to of my goal over any given day..

from what I understand.. a degree or two is what temp control devices will give you.. my method works for me anyway.. I should say there are lots of ways and all carry various costs and you will need to evaluate what works best for you, ie. if you are away for periods of time a Tempmate or similar would be best, if like me, you are on hand "every day" you can get away with such techniques as a simple timer..

as I say, it works for my situation though..
:icon_cheers:

[edit] If I had a tempmate I could still be brewing while I am interstate... :(

Back