My First Filtering Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly the housing i was looking at getting.

My beers end up clear if they are given time to settle but sometimes there isnt time and a filter is a good way to keep the flow alive :)

How well did it cleac the beer up?

cheers

Was going to say the same thing Tony. :lol:

Oneills torments us pic by pic and doesn't wind up showing the money shot. :ph34r:

How about a nice filtered glass of Porter with the sun setting behind it?

Warren -

If I can see the sun through my Porter, I've made an amber ale!! :ph34r: :p

Yeah, C'mon oneills, where's the "money shot"? ;)

I will post a piccy tomorrow as its in the keg carbonating at the moment. This particular beer really didn't need filtering, i just wanted to remove hop particles and any sediment. It spent 12 days in primary and 10 days in secondary. The filter wasn't that dirty.

TL is right, this is a very dark beer that you can't see through in the glass.

The only major improvement i would consider is a couple of liquid keg posts. One to hook up to hose fitting to flush ( i used spare keg and CO2 ) and another on the other end to open ball lock valve ( i used a screwdriver ) while running water through.

To clean i hosed out housing then half filled keg with tap water, flushed through with CO2 then put cartridge in housing with napisan solution to sit overnight. Will rinse in morning and put away when dry. I will sanitise just before next use.

Any other suggestions or tips ?

Here is the final result. Beautiful Yummy Porter. As you can see it is a dark beer ( and i need to clean my shed windows ).

BrewTime001.jpg

This is what i was trying achieve and it turned out as good if not better. I am a filter convert now as it normally takes a while for my kegged beer to be at it's best, but this was excellent within 24 hours of being kegged.

BrewTime005.jpg

End result. Time for another.

BrewTime006.jpg

Cheers

Oneills,
:excl: Don't drink that Porter - you have a nasty lactobacillus infection! :excl:
Look at that lacing on the empty glass - it's a sure fire sign that the porter has a nasty bacterial growth within and you need to deal with it immediately.
I'll PM you my address so you can offload the keg of infected beer to me for disposal in an appropriate and safe way....and, um, you better send that glass too, thanks! :p ;)
Cheers,
TL

ONeill,

Some great step by step pictures ,I am picture person (they say a picture is worth a thousand words) :blink: .

I am sure your post will encourage a lot of people to filter their beer .

I always find my dark ales rarely need filtering ,however as a keen filterer!! I recently converted from the other order :huh: . I enjoyed your post and picked up some good ideas .

Pumpy :)

yer i love the pictures also.
i'm going to be converting to the 'filter clan' myself as soon as my filter element arrives.
i have disconnects with removables tails on my kegs, so I reckon i might just buy a couple more tails to keep with the filter. That way i can connect to either the gas or the liquid post.

that porter looks real fine from here also o'neills. :beerbang:

cheers

vl.

Hey O'neil,

Great pics but why would you filter a beer that you couldn't see through in the first place?
Dark beers normally clear quite nicely too.

just curious!

cheers

Darren

why not :)

have filter..... will use :)

hehehe

cheers

I mentioned earlier that this beer probably didn't need filtering and really only wanted to try the filter out. But after soaking the filter cartridge in napisan solution overnight there was a fair bit of sediment that had come out of it.

Therfore it was definately worth doing. It will have you drinking your creation within hours of kegging -- just gas and go !

By the way the fiter cartridge cleaned up fine.

Hey O'neil,

Great pics but why would you filter a beer that you couldn't see through in the first place?
Dark beers normally clear quite nicely too.

just curious!

cheers

Darren

Some of us don't want a mouthfull of yeast that's why ;) - just because you can't see it, doesn't make it tatse any better. Filtering an ale is really no different that CCing it, just enables you to keg immediately rather than waiting for however long for it too clear - great for those that don't have room to cold condition as well. I really don't understand the anti-filtering brigade - if you have time on your hands & plenty of fridge space, cool, don't filter. But for those that don't it's a great way to get clear beer on tap quickly.

cheers Ross

Are these filters just good for final beer clarification only or can you use them for filtering chlorine from your initial brew water as well.

matt

Are these filters just good for final beer clarification only or can you use them for filtering chlorine from your initial brew water as well.

matt

Hockadays,

They can be used with a carbon filter for removing the nasty's from your water - but the clear housings arn't the best for handling mains pressure. You're better having a seperate unit for water.

cheers Ross

This is the one I use for filtering brewing water.

Got it for about $30 on Evilbay. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find something similar. I believe the unit I've got is commonly used in caravans. :unsure:

Warren -

DSC00369.jpg

Ok so it looks a though I'll need two..Can you get the brew water ones from camping store or bunnings etc and what micron level...

matt

Matt.

Seen them at Bunnings. Expect to pay around $80 though. Not sure of the micron rating of the filter. I just use a pleated carbon cartridge (around $20). Should last you around 12 months.

Warren -

Back