My First Filtering Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Well i have had a filter fitting here for about 6 months now but havnt been game enough to use it.

Its a bit like AG........ too scary to try til you finally dive in and ....... oh that wasnt so bad.

I have an old 10" cartridge that came off the centrifuge that made most of the daxtrose you all used over the years :p

I bought a 1 micron filter for about $10 at Big W and hooked in this arvo.

worked well but the beer isnt "bright"

will have to liik into a better filter i think and a clear housing so i can see whats going on

pics.

Tony,

Not only is that cartridge not clear, it doesn't appear to have a relief valve. Without the relief valve you're in serious danger of oxidising your beer (unless you fully purged it with CO2 first).

cheers Ross

Yeah i ran CO2 through it mate :)

I am going to get something better if im going to do this full time.

Other questiuon i have.

What is the best way to clean and steralise the filters for re-use?

cheers

What is the best way to clean and steralise the filters for re-use?

tony,

Unless it's a pleated type filter you can't clean it. Assuming it is - fill the open canister with hot tap water add a teaspoon of napisan & leave overnight - rinse & repeat. Will come up like new.

Edit: final rinse with a non-rinse sanitiser on brew day

cheers Ross

Gday Brewmates,

Ive made many attempts recently to filter my beer.

Finally I do as follows:

Take an empty keg and preload it with the same CO2-Pressure as a full one.
Connect both CO2 valves with eachother.
The beer tube is leading from the full one to a pump, to the filter and then to the empty keg.
Just switch on the pump and the beer runs from the one to the other keg, very clear and without losing any CO2.

Pic:

2456.JPG

The outside of the equipment is very hazy, because the beer is around 0C, thats why you cant see the clarification, but it looks like that:

DSC02450.JPG

Cheers :party:

ahhhhh another use for the march pump :)

Ross.

I know there are thousands of pages on filters if i search but why go to the trouble when your here to tell me :)

whats the best filter to use?

Pleated? is that spun gradient, string wound bonded gradient?

ahhhh im confused now

cheers

Tony ,

I am a bit like you I get the bits then take ages to pick up couragebefore I use it .

But Ihave been using the "Ross Filter method " as previously posted

otherwise known as the "No Secondary method " he! he!

and It works a treat I am not going back it turns my beer around into kegs much quicker .

Pumpy :)

ahhhh im confused now

cheers

Hell Tony,

I know what you mean.

I tried three filters when I first got my clear filter housing with the bleed valve and I had extremely variable results. :(
The first one was a pleated "black end" ( good way to ID these things ) which is aparently a 1 micron filter and the result - IMO a waste of time.

Then I tried a pleated filter with a pinky / purple end and this is as I am lead to believe, a 1 micron "absolute".
It was slightly better than the black one but the beer was still cloudy. :unsure:

I then tried a pleated filter with a dark brown end and this one is supposed to be a .35 micron filter.
Well, this filter produced a beer every bit as clear as a draught of West End / VB down the pub.
I noticed no difference in taste, in fact I think, because it has removed all the yeast (assumed) and the excess trub that the beer tastes as good as it ever can.

When i serve this filtered beer to the general public ( read friends and hangers' on ) they can't believe how clear it is.

I have been cleaning this filter by filling a 5 litre jug with hot (tap ) water and napisan and dropping it in for 24 hours and it comes out spotless each time - just give it a good rinse and store dry for the next job.

I have now had conflicting comments compared to results regarding all these filters and it is difficult to know which way to go.

BTW I have a plate filter from Ibrew in Qld and it filters as well as the .35 micron, but you can't clean the filters and therefore it works out a bit more expensive than the cartridge type. :ph34r:

Another thing that is confusing is the use of finings as I have always been lead to believe that if you use finings then the beer doesn't need filtering as it should turn out very good if left to settle out.

According to recent PM's to me, Ross is going to update his site to include the sale of filters shortly and he has got me a couple of these .35 micron jobbies although he tells me that they will not be available full time and I will have to go back to the 1 micron purple / pink / absolute critters when I have used the .35 micron ones.
I have checked his site a few times over this weekend and the filters have not appeared as yet.

Ross,
When your site includes the new items I will take those two .35 filters that you got for me - as ordered.

Cheers and clear beers! :beer:

Yes, I have to endorse to dickos post. Ive been searching for the right pore size and found, that the 0,3m ceramic filter that Im using, does the job best.

The brew I am drinking tonight
It's a Kin Kin ale but clear as any other beer I brew..no filtering

Batz

I do not have a lot of time or space to hold heaps of beer in secondary and I dont like adding that jelly made from horses hooves ,i like to drink my beers young but then perhaps that suits the beers I make more .
so after seven day in primary filter and in the keg !!

Pumpy :)

I have found some beers need it and some beers dont.

The Classic American Pils in the keg was bright on the 2nd schooner, only about 110 to go :)

The american brown ale before it was hazy till the last 20 schooners and it was brewed with wyeast 1338 european ale which is rated at HIGH for the flocculation spec.

I do tend to rack a couple of times to get the beer clear but if i can just run it through a filter and be done with it i will.

thanks for the advice folks.

Will have to do some filter searching

cheers

I have checked his site a few times over this weekend and the filters have not appeared as yet.

Ross,
When your site includes the new items I will take those two .35 filters that you got for me - as ordered.

Sorry Dicko,

Friends over for the w/e that interfered with work :party: - i'll have the beer filters online today - complete filtering systems (beer & water), hopefully up later this week.

cheers Ross

ahhhhh another use for the march pump :)

Ross.

I know there are thousands of pages on filters if i search but why go to the trouble when your here to tell me :)

ahhhh im confused now

cheers

Tony, not spun gradient or string wound - both hopeless for filtering beer & one use only.
i'll have pictures online later today.

Cheers Ross

What fittings are required to connect to beerline. Will yours be complete with fittings.

What fittings are required to connect to beerline. Will yours be complete with fittings.

Will come complete with everything :). I'll start a retail thread when I've put it all together - as I said, hopefully later this week.

++++

1 micron filters now online.

cheers Ross

Yay ! pleated absolute filters to make your beer sparkle and get it into the kegs quicker fresher and can dry hop too :)

Pumpy

have been looking on ebay.

will hold off till you post prices.

cheers

Zwickel,
Ceramic filters sound a good option. Can you post a pic? How much are they? Are they easy to clean?

One of the biggest problems with filters is that if you clog it too quickly and then apply too much pressure (ie a huge co2 blast) you can damage the membrane. Once that is done the unit is rooted.

I was just thinking ceramic might be stronger and a more natural product.

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back