My First Filtering Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O T but I used to have an International truck that had a ceramic fule fillter :D wow it was great reuseable endlessly... I dont have the truck but I still have a spare fule pump and the ceramic fillter for it .. Ha Ha Ha .. the shit you keep ..... or is it just me ...

Sorry :ph34r:

:beer:

I was planning on using a filter for 3 purposes
a) filtering beer
B) filtering yeast out of cider to halt fermentation, before sweetening
c) filtering yeast out of wine to reduce amount of sulphur needed.

From above, does this mean i need a 0.35 micron?

Anyone every tried a 3um filter? Most of texts I've read recommend this level of filtering to remove yeast and other particles, cleaning up the beer.

I've used a 1um, but I would like to try a 3um. 'Spose I could just use finings though.

Also...

Gday Brewmates,

Ive made many attempts recently to filter my beer.

Finally I do as follows:

Take an empty keg and preload it with the same CO2-Pressure as a full one.
Connect both CO2 valves with eachother.
The beer tube is leading from the full one to a pump, to the filter and then to the empty keg.
Just switch on the pump and the beer runs from the one to the other keg, very clear and without losing any CO2.

Zwikel, why do you use a pump, when you can just run the beer through the filter by pressure differential? Is it to keep the beer carbonated? Sorry, I just don't like pumping beer around to much and was curious as to why you use a pump.

Cheers,

Sam

are these ceramic filters any good?

found 0.9 micron ones on ebay for $20 for 2 of them.

yours looks the goods too ross. if it lasts a year its cost is not really a concern hey.

Sam..... i think he uses the pump to save on CO2 loss from pushing it through the filter.

cheers

Just so you know, yeast are about 8 microns in size. If you are not cleaning your beer with a 2 micron filter, either it has been damaged, or you are not filtering yeast.

cheers

Darren

Hi folks,

Ceramic filters sound a good option. Can you post a pic? How much are they? Are they easy to clean?

Its not cheap, but Ive used the filter for about 25 Kegs so far, there didnt occure any problem yet.
After usage, Im rinsing the filter backwards and blow it dry with compressed air. Store it at a dry place.

here is a description at ebay: http://cgi.ebay.de/Keramik-Filterkartusche...1QQcmdZViewItem

Very important is, that the flow direction leads from the outside to the inside of the filter.
That way the filter can hold a delta P of 1000KPa.

Anyone every tried a 3um filter? Most of texts I've read recommend this level of filtering to remove yeast and other particles, cleaning up the beer.

Id say, 3m is too large, 0,3 fits much better.

Zwikel, why do you use a pump, when you can just run the beer through the filter by pressure differential? Is it to keep the beer carbonated? Sorry, I just don't like pumping beer around to much and was curious as to why you use a pump.

The beer is normally in a saturated CO2 equilibrium. If you lower the pressure, it will certainly lose gas and anyway start foaming.
If you keep the pressure steadily, it wont lose any gas at all and wont start foaming.
Just transfer the beer from one to the other one keg.

Cheers

Its not cheap, but Ive used the filter for about 25 Kegs so far, there didnt occure any problem yet.
After usage, Im rinsing the filter backwards and blow it dry with compressed air. Store it at a dry place.

here is a description at ebay: http://cgi.ebay.de/Keramik-Filterkartusche...1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote]

Beschreibung Der Verkufer ist verantwortlich fr das Angebot.

Artikelmerkmale

Artikelzustand: Neu

Keramikfilterkartusche

Mit 0,3 Keramikfilter, filtert die Bakterien aus dem Wasser !!!

Passend fr fast alle 9 3/4" und 10" Gehuse

Welche Filterelemente werden benutzt?

- 0,3 Keramikeinsatz

Was wird gefiltert?

0,3 Keramikfilter

Dieser Filter filtert alles was grer als 0,3 also 0,0003mm gro ist aus ihrem Wasser. Bakterien haben eine Gre von 0,5 und bleiben an diesem Filter deshalb hngen. Sie filtern also gefhrliche Bakterien vllig chemiefrei aus ihrem Trinkwasser. Diese Filter sind im normalen Handel nicht zu bekommen. Sie werden in der Industrie fr die Mineralwasserherstellung genutzt. Auerdem werden sie in Katastrophengebieten zur Trinkwasserherstellung benutzt. Diese Filter knnen unter flieendem Wasser mit einem Spezialschwamm gereinigt werden.

;) We speak english dude, well mast of us :)

cheers :p

tony use babble fish to translate for u it makes it easy

The ceramic filters being solid, don't appear to have too much surface area - Unless the beer is pretty clear in the first place I believe they would clog up pretty quick. Also how do they filter, is it by progressive reduction in hole size or do they filter just on the surface? - If progressive they could prove a bugger to clean properly - A pleated PET filter has a large surface area - approx 6 sq feet & are easy to clean with just a teaspoon of napisan. Can't personally see any advantages with the ceramic - are there any?

Darren,

Yeast may well be 8 micron in size, but I can assure you that a 5 micron filter will not remove anywhere near all the yeast, even without damaging the filter. I don't know enough about yeast to know whether it can squeeze through smaller gaps than it's size under low pressure, but that would be my guess. It takes a 0.35 micron in practice to remove all yeast.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

first I wanna say, unfortunately, I havent found a pleated filter yet for my filter housing.
You are much luckier to have one.

So I have to use what Im able to get here, please dont take it as a competition to your filter.

I just wanna tell you, what kind of experience Ive made.

The ceramic filters being solid, don't appear to have too much surface area - Unless the beer is pretty clear in the first place I believe they would clog up pretty quick. Also how do they filter, is it by progressive reduction in hole size or do they filter just on the surface?
Im not sure, think it works progressive. Even if the surface is not as large as the one of the pleated, I was able to transfer 60L beer in one time, thats just a batch Ive made.
After that, I cleaned it and stored for the next time.

- If progressive they could prove a bugger to clean properly -
so far I didnt have any problem yet, looking forward how long I may use it.

A pleated PET filter has a large surface area - approx 6 sq feet

yeah, thats one advantage for the pleated filter!

& are easy to clean with just a teaspoon of napisan.

thats what Im doubting, because of the pleated surface, it will be difficult to reach each corner.

Can't personally see any advantages with the ceramic - are there any?

yes, the biggest advantage is, it whitstands a high delta P (differnce in pressure)

a pleated filter cant hold a high delta P.

btw. the cell size of yeast can be between 2 to 5 m.

Cheers

yes, the biggest advantage is, it whitstands a high delta P (differnce in pressure)

a pleated filter cant hold a high delta P.

Cheers
[/quote]

I agree a small number of the yeast cells will be that small. Yeast bud from each other so often will be found in large masses of cells rather than individual cells. 2uM should remove most, 1uM certainly. Bacteria filters obviously need to be a lot tighter.

I suspect the pleated filters here that aren't really doing the job properly have been comprimised by high load and pressure. Once it is busted there is little or no resistance or filtering.

Busted one or two filters with pressure in my time.

cheers

Darren

Hi Ross,

So I have to use what Im able to get here, please dont take it as a competition to your filter.

Cheers

Zwickel - no problem at all - competition is good for everyone :) . My interest is in finding the best beer filter on the market & then making available for my customers to buy. By the very nature of a progressive filter, my experience is they are very hard, if not impossible to fully clean, but I accept if you say this is not a problem in your case. A pleated filter just blocks the yeast on it's surface, making removal/cleaning extremely easy.

High pressure is not needed in filtering wort prior to carbonating - 20 to 40 kpa works fine.

I find your cell size far more believable than Darren's statement, as I said, a 5 micron filter is useless for beer filtering.

cheers Ross

I find your cell size far more believable than Darren's statement, as I said, a 5 micron filter is useless for beer filtering.

cheers Ross

Ross,

If you check back I said 2uM filter should clean your beer. I still say the beers I have seen here using these filters have been damaged by pressure and are not even fitering out 50uM particles.

Anyhow, if you made your beer properly in the first place you would not need to filter it ;)

cheers

Darren

[Anyhow, if you made your beer properly in the first place you would not need to filter it ;)

cheers

Darren

I knew that one was coming !! :p

Batz

The brew I am drinking tonight
It's a Kin Kin ale but clear as any other beer I brew..no filtering

Batz

I don't filter either and generally get consistently clear beer so long as I give my kegs time to settle. ;)

Here is my first attempt at filtering beer. I purhased the the filter housing off Ebay from Clarence filters for $18.00. The 1 micron absolut cartridge came from Purerain in Qld as suggested by Ross for $35.00 and the beer line and disconnects came from Narre Brew Supplies for approx $30.00.

LeannesBirthday2006156.jpg

Here is the filter in action. This is my fisrt partial which is an Aussie Porter

LeannesBirthday2006159.jpg

LeannesBirthday2006158.jpg

This is the filter after use

LeannesBirthday2006160.jpg

Back