My First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rothy

Reaction score
Hey guys, so i made my first brew from what i got in the kit as per the instructions, (morgans aussie larger) basically I had flash backs of drinking in a rough as guts pub with strippers and only vb on tap, I do like my beer a little sweeter than vb, i like steinlager and tooheeys extra dry what makes beer sweeter and fruiter?

I want to experiment and get my own recipe going but a have no idea where to start

I am new to brewing but my $0.02 is to go to your local home brew shop, tell them you want to make beer and what type of beer you like to drink. They will give you everything that you need to start!

What sort of temp control do ya have mate probly one of the first things to look into to improve your beer

A simple few ways to greatly improve your beer (I'll get in before everyone else does)....

1. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize everything that so much as looks at your beer! An infection due to unsanitary gear is the easiest way to ruin your beer. Throw away the Sodium Metabisulfite you probably got with the kit and ask your local homebrew shop for some star-san or similar no rinse sanitizer. I lost a lot of beer to infections before I got onto the no rinse sanitizer. It's dead easy to use too.

2. Now you're Shiny and clean, lets add some flavour and body to your brew the easy way - Malt. Buy a Kilo of light dry malt extract online or from your local brew shop and replace the kilo of sugar/dextrose in your brew with it. The sugar you would have used in your first brew would have turned into alcohol but not added much in the way of beer flavour or body to the beer making it dry and flavourless. Malt gives you the booze along with loads of flavor and a nice mouthfeel. :icon_drool2:

3. Hops are your smelly friends. It's true; when you drink a craft beer that was fruity or spicy smells and tastes - that's most likely coming from the hops. Get something simple to start like 25g cascade or citra and drop them in a litre of hot water straight from the kettle for 5 minutes to make a 'hop tea' and then add it to your fermenter at the same time you add the malt/sugar & tin of beer goop.

4. Temperature control = flavor control. This has got to do with your yeast. If it's too hot or too cold then, like us people, they're not going to do their best work. I know the packet says that it will work up to 25'c or something like that but at that point they are metaphorically slaving away in the salt mines - not being happy yeasty beasties at all. At high temps especially they will be releasing weird and undesirable flavors into your beer that most people don't want there. Think of it as yeast sweat, do you like sweat in your beer?

So stick your fermenter somewhere cool & dark, on cement floors helps to draw out heat and wrapping a wet towel or shirt around it helps to drop the temp too. Try and keep as close to 18'c - 20'c as possible and don't add the yeast until you are close to those temps.

So to summarize this impromptu lecture on easy ways to improve your beer; make sure everything isn't just clean but sanitized too, replace brewing sugar with malt, add some hops & keep that fermenter cool (around 18'c-20'c). You won't believe the difference using any of these 4 simple steps will make to your beer. You'll be laughing in scorn at your mates as they drink their VBs. B)

Sorry this thread has gone on so long, these are just some of the things I wish someone had told me when I started brewing, I wasted a lot of time & money on making shit beer at the start and almost gave up brewing altogther. Read up on this forum and keep asking questions, people here are usually happy to answer questions and there's a wealth of info here.

It's how we all up our brewing game. :beerbang:

I have zero temp control but will be obtaining a workung fridge soon. Summer is coming. I do have a second brew on now. And I pretty much just made it. Dumpped it on the counter and left for kalbarri for a week.when I peft it was 24c and when I ce home it was 20c The sample tastes alot better. I added ringwood hops and instead of replacing the dex I added 500g wheat malt. (it's a wheat beer. I love my redback) so malt and hops will give big flavour and temp control does the quality. And yeast affects flavour to then

I have zero temp control but will be obtaining a workung fridge soon. Summer is coming. I do have a second brew on now. And I pretty much just made it. Dumpped it on the counter and left for kalbarri for a week.when I peft it was 24c and when I ce home it was 20c The sample tastes alot better. I added ringwood hops and instead of replacing the dex I added 500g wheat malt. (it's a wheat beer. I love my redback) so malt and hops will give big flavour and temp control does the quality. And yeast affects flavour to then

Thank you for that post too. I was adding the yeast at 25 to 25 then using the towel. My kit came with a no rinse had a mate come over to taste. He agrees that its overly bitter. But under that was a nice beer taste. I got all girly and made a shandy with it. Worked a treat

I'm glad to hear you've already got a 2nd brew on with all the processes already in place - you might already be tasting the difference between it and your first brew.

If you like the Matilda Bay Redback, then give this simple wheat beer recipe a try...

1 tin of MJ Bavarian Wheat beer (or any other wheat beer kit)
1.5kg of liquid wheat malt (or 1kg of dry wheat malt extract)
15g of Saaz hops - boiled in 1lt of water for 5 minutes then added to the fermenter with everything else
1 packet of Safale wb-06 yeast - added to the fermenter when the temp reaches around 22'c

Make that up to 23lts and that should give you something close to the ol' MB Redback in taste, Especially if you can keep the temp under 22'c as wb-06 is a little more forgiving of higher temperatures than your average ale yeasts, it's good for summer in that regard. Though wheat beers do like a little more time in the bottle than regular ales (at least 4 weeks rather than 2 weeks sorta thing).

Enjoy the brewing sir, so long as you enjoy doing it as much as you like drinking it, you can't go wrong. :)

...and don't knock the shandy many a rough beer has been saved from the sink by a slug of lemonade ;)

Saaz hops? I was told redback hanld pride of ringwood. Ah well a was plannig on tinkering till a got one I liked

From what I can find; the MB Redback does have POR hops in it but they are used for bittering more than flavoring. That's were the Saaz hops come in.

There is some debate as to whether the bittering hops add any flavor or smell characteristics to the end beer but I personally don't think it does but that just an opinion.

You could try adding a gram or 2 of POR with the Saaz in the hop tea but be gentle, POR is a very powerful hop in bittering, aroma and in flavor. It can easily overpower the more delicate flavor of the Saaz.

I'm not a big fan of POR myself, a good example of a POR beer would be Coopers Pale Ale though you might be more familiar with it in VB and XXXX.

You just named 3 beers I cant stand lol. I like that really crisp clean cold taste. Like a TED premium. But I find blonde and xxxx flavourless and vb is just rough as

According to tge official MB site its wheat malt. Pale malt? And POR

Yeah. I haven't had a red back in ages, but I don't remember it being 100% wheat. Would think some pale malt would be essential.

If you're just doing a kit + bits brew, there will be some barley etc in the kit. It won't be 100% wheat malt. Otherwise, without going to partial-mash methods(at the least) I'm not sure how you'll get that pale malt into your brew.

I guess you could try steeping 500g of Pale malt but you'd have to be careful with your temperatures as it's a base malt, not a specialty grain - and by the time you are doing this you might as well be mini-mashing.

This is one of the more restrictive things about kit brewing but kits are a good place to start.

Give a kit recipe a go and if you still want to try to get even closer start looking at extract and/or mini-mashing methods of brewing to get closer to the real thing. Once you have your head around the terminology they're not hard to do and produce great tasting beers...

menoetes said:
I'm not a big fan of POR myself, a good example of a POR beer would be Coopers Pale Ale though you might be more familiar with it in VB and XXXX.
XXXX uses Golden Cluster. VB, New, and just about every other Aussie lager and Aussie Pale use POR.

I didn't XXX had used cluster since they changed their packaging some years back. I am happy to be corrected though.

Well ill have to see where the wheat an por leave me. It was a wheat can so it may have some pale malt in it

I want get into partial and all grain but it a money and room thing.

Back