My Current Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgcooke

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am brewing my first wheat beer. I decided I would buy some good yeast for the experiment. So I bought a WYeast packet. On brewday I poped the little food sack inside the packet as the instructions said. Waited for the packet to expand considerably (3 hours) made up my wort and at 26C i dumped the yeast.

Today (day 2) the wort is frothing out through the bubbler? So does this mean that I put too much yeast in? Should I normally use the packet to make 2 batches?

Any advice appreciated.

Damien

The yeast coming out of the airlock just means that it's very happy. I don't think you used too much yeast. I found that WPL400 tried to escape out of the airlock as well.

Which wyeast are you using ? At 26C, if it's a wheat yeast, then it might have a lot of banana esters.

Hey LBD.
What yeast did you use? You might have a fairly active strain there.
You can just dump the whole smakpack into your wort but normally most brewers wait for the pack to swell and then make more starters from the pack.
It helps to spread out the cost of the smakpack.

dont be too concerned about the krausen (tech name for the bubbles!) flooding thru your airlock,as it seems most of my brews do the same and have all tasted good so far.
how much fermentable sugars etc did you add to the recipe?
wot type of yeast was it etc
ride it out till the tide drops and put some more sterile solution into your airlock,just to be on the safe side.
love is a good witbier :beer:

cheers,dan :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back