My Crush

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asher said:
I like it Sos.... Maybe a bit coarse... But I like it....

Go the supercharged philmill#1
Asher for now
[post="61907"][/post]​
Nobody got anything to say about the deal on the Crankandstein website?

http://www.crankandstein.com/cgm-bcc.htm

I am considering buying this for two reasons.

A) I am a bit busy to be fluffing around making stands, hoppers etc and al a bit of a spaz when it comes to manual labour.

B) If I am not happy with my purchase I could sell a Crankandstein on very easily, more easily than a home made job or the others (Marga, Barley crusher etc)

So Oddball - you gonna show us a picture of your crush or what?

That crush was wit 100% imc munich which has very brittle husks.

When i crack pils or pale ale malt it almost looks like it hasnr been cracked, the husks are completly whole and the inner grain is smashed into fine granuals.

since using this mill my beers are clearer, cleaner in flavour and i get higher efficience (80%)

I spoke to GT at grumpys and he recons im running my mill slow at 150 RPM.

With mills SIZE MATTERS.

I found some 4"SS shaft at work, Im thinking of building a smooth roller "super mill".

smooth rollers wont bust the husks.

cheers

and the wetting thing does work!

ODDBALL said:
Bigfella said:
girls stop it
[post="62042"][/post]​
Sorry mate. :(

Any advice on the mill issue?
[post="62044"][/post]​

Hi OB,
The Crankenstein is a very good mill IMO. I have the 3 roller version and it is excellent.
A few guys on here have the 2 roller model and they are very pleased with theirs as well.

The hopper that you are looking at might cost a bit to get into Aus from the U.S.

Someone on this forum made a similar hopper using a spring water plastic bottle with the bottom cut out and fitted into a bit a wood that was mounted onto the mill frame. This might be a cheaper option.

With my mill came a set of plans to make a hopper out of wood. I used MDF board and it came out a treat. I think from memory the board cost about 10 or 12 dollars.

Do a search on this forum and you will find some pics of mine and you should also find the one with the water cooler/spring water bottle hopper as well.
My hopper holds about 11kg of grain and this suits me as I can brew 50 litre batches if I wish. I feel that if you are going to buy a hopper it should hold about 5 to 6 kilos otherwise you may as well make one to suit.

The Crankenstein company is excellent to deal with and Fred Francis is more than helpful with return emails and despatch of your order.
I hope this helps,

Cheers

That sounds like good advice. I was thinking the postage would be hefty on the package deal so will probably buy a mill and try and make a hopper and base.

Now I just have to decide which Crankandstein mill to go for. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back