My Brew Tastes Like Red Wine.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
Hello. After doing a gravity test today I decided to give my latest brew a taste test. It full on tastes like red wind and has a fruity after taste. Should i bother to keep this one or am i wasting valuble brewing time?

The kit was a brewcraft LCPA clone.

It full on tastes like red wind and has a fruity after taste.

Sounds like one of those beer swap get togethers. :eek:
Never had a brew taste like red, had one taste like cider and tipped it out.

Cheers brad

Hello. After doing a gravity test today I decided to give my latest brew a taste test. It full on tastes like red wind and has a fruity after taste. Should i bother to keep this one or am i wasting valuble brewing time?

The kit was a brewcraft LCPA clone.

What stage was your brew at, gravity?

Sounds like one of those beer swap get togethers. :eek:

Please explain?

Was having a bit of fun, was just reading one of the threads on the beer swaps and there seems to be a bit of wind(typo i know) and smell the at these.
I am interested it what you mean by red wine taste though.

Sorry. Red wine.

OG started at 1.050 and after 5 days is now at 1.016. Temp is 24 'C with a heat pad. Yeast was US 05.

well 24C is way too hot for starters. that cause fruity esters which is probably what your tasting. and your using a brewcraft clone kit wich wont help..... mainly its probably the temp. 18C is plenty hot enough for ales.

Sorry. Red wine.

OG started at 1.050 and after 5 days is now at 1.016. Temp is 24 'C with a heat pad. Yeast was US 05.

What hops were included, have you tasted a LCPA before?

Got me worried there now seeing as those Brewcraft kits are not cheap.

Mine is still bubbling along nice and steady at 16C-18C depending on which thermometer you believe.
Hope it gets finished before the cool weather here breaks.

Sorry. Red wine.

Sounds like a write-off! I will come and collect it and make further testing on it for you :p

Seriously though, It sounds a little warm, as CM2 said, but I wouldn't panic my friend. I have done this kit and the samples tasted like Champaign!! But bottled and aged and it came good, very good from memory.

Since then I have found with a little research you can put together a better clone than these 'OVERPRICED' kits!!

Anyway, what time should I come and collect it!! ;)

Happy brewing!

Cocko.

Sounds like a write-off! I will come and collect it and make further testing on it for you :p

Seriously though, It sounds a little warm, as CM2 said, but I wouldn't panic my friend. I have done this kit and the samples tasted like Champaign!! But bottled and aged and it came good, very good from memory.

Since then I have found with a little research you can put together a better clone than these 'OVERPRICED' kits!!

Anyway, what time should I come and collect it!! ;)

Happy brewing!

Cocko.

Ha ha, its not for sale mate. ;)
Whats in your secret recipe?

ha my first (and only finished) batch tasted like goon when i bottled it

Ha ha, its not for sale mate. ;)
Whats in your secret recipe?

No, no - I wasn't offering to pay! :D

There is a few suggestions in this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=24307&hl=

I am an LCPA nut!

My current mix is:

Coopers PA Can
BE2
500g LDME
250g Dex
25g Chinook
25g Cascade
US05 yeast

Boil up LDME and DEX in 7L water - Add 12g Chinook for 60, rest of chinook at 30 and 10g cascade at 5 minutes till flame out! Then also teabag a 15g cascade.

Cost about $22-30 depending...... Obviously pretty hop heavy but I am that way inclined.

The flavour is pretty much spot on. IMO.

Enjoy!

Happy brewing!

Cocko.

Got me worried there now seeing as those Brewcraft kits are not cheap.
You got that right.
The want nearly $60 for some of the stouts and the LCPA kit is $46.50.
They even use a Black Rock kit for the LCPA and I reckon they are some of the worst out there.

I think I'd rather spend $30 on a 3kg ESB, or in the case of the Brewcraft stout, two 3kg ESB kits.

Ah only $34.00 for LCPA kit up here and I thought that quite high. Could knock a few dollars off using Cocko's method. Not charging Alcopop tax are they ?

Still bubbling along nicely here so hopefully get a good final result without Mclovins tragedy. :(

We are probably paying through the nose for groceries here from reports in the local press.

I never had anything like this when I did kits, it usually just tasted like the syrup straight from the can, but watered down obviously. Let us know how it turns out :)

I never had anything like this when I did kits, it usually just tasted like the syrup straight from the can, but watered down obviously. Let us know how it turns out :)

What are you talking about? Is this a, back in the good old days kinda call??? I am lost...
:unsure:

Im going to bottle it. Since I switched off the heat pad the temp has droped down to 16-18 'C and it now tastes bit better. Gravity is sitting on 1.012 from 1.050 after 7 days.

Back