My Brew Has Become Active Again After Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mucka

Reaction score
I'm a new home brewer (on my third batch) and have racked from my primary to a secondary carboy after getting a consistent hydrometer reading of 1016 for 3 days. I have now noticed that the brew has become active again now down to 1014. Will this be a problem?

I have been extremely sterile while transferring to the secondary and ensured that I minimised oxidation by placing the siphon hose at the bottom of the 2nd carboy. I've added nothing extra apart from finings. The brew temp has been around 18 - 22 degrees.

Mucka

the yeast has been stirred up and reactivated - add a bit of oxygen and she has started up again. No worries - it will stop pretty soon.

I find I usually get a 2-3 point gravity drop after going to secondary.
no matter how careful you do it, you stir up the yeast and introduce small amounts of oxygen.
Really this is exactly what you want. A small amount of activity to create a bit of co2 to clear the headspace.
Its all good

I find I usually get a 2-3 point gravity drop after going to secondary.
no matter how careful you do it, you stir up the yeast and introduce small amounts of oxygen.
Really this is exactly what you want. A small amount of activity to create a bit of co2 to clear the headspace.
Its all good

Thanks, I might get a bit more alcohol out of it too.

I usually add 50/100g of dex/ldme to the brew when i rack if i leave it a little to late, this is to fill the headspace with co2, especally if i plan to leave the beer in secondary for more than a week or 2...

you'll always get a point or 2 when you rack. As stated by other posters, the act of racking will stir up the yeast and is 1 of the techniques for restarting a stalled ferment.

nothing to worry about at all, just check for stable readings as usual before bottling or kegging

I usually add 50/100g of dex/ldme to the brew when i rack if i leave it a little to late, this is to fill the headspace with co2, especally if i plan to leave the beer in secondary for more than a week or 2...

I'd be really careful when doing this if it was me...

50g may be not so bad, but if i'm going to bottle a batch instead of keg it, i will typically (for an ale) bulk prime 20L with 125g of sugar which gives me pretty much 2.5 volumes of CO2.
If you're gonna add 100g, i'd definitely be leaving it atleast a week before conditioning it (if that's part of your process) and then bottle.

You'd be pretty pissed if you added 100g to get a CO2 "blanket" in your secondary, then two or three days later bottle it with more sugar......BANG.

I understand the process of adding some sugar to secondary to get a few more points therefore still fermenting, therefore creating a layer of CO2, just not sure that 100g is a sensible amount. I'd be erring on the side of caution, and go with a lower amount.

Of course all of this is based upon the assumption of a standard sized batch.

Latest posts

Back