My Bottle Exploded

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not simply wait until they've reached 'normal' pressure and just recap them all in one go? That way you'd vent the first lot of pressure and allow them to continue priming with the remaining half of the sugar.

Not sure they'd taste all that flash after being fermented out once in the bottle with double the dose of sugar, then reprimed with yet a third dose.

That's a lot of sugar to be fermenting in the bottle you're going to serve it from!

DC, Steve & Wortgames, thanks for the advice.
My work safety gear bag will be travelling home with me tonight. I'll give them a recap tonight or tomorrow.
Luckily 2/3 of the batch were bottled properly in PET, I'll only lose a dozen at the most through infection/explosion.
Still, I'll keep these ones wrapped in rags, double boxed, and only opened outside wearing a bomb disposal suit.
Fingers crossed. :excl:

Why not simply wait until they've reached 'normal' pressure and just recap them all in one go? That way you'd vent the first lot of pressure and allow them to continue priming with the remaining half of the sugar.
You could do that if you knew how long it will take for them to reach "normal" pressure. But when do you think that would be? I could say 3 days or 10 days but I'd be guessing.

Alls good. I diffused the bombs today... one with mild fizzing, and one that foamed over for a good 10minutes. The other 5 were recapped, along with the mild fizzer (wrapped in a rag, just in case), and the super fizzer was enjoyed prematurely while cleaning the pool.
p.s. won't be using sugar in future... i think i can taste the "cidery" tones. Dextrose or malt from now on.
Cheers for the advice lads

Hi All,

Im new to home brewing just bottled my 1st batch on Sat night.
After bottling 24 longnecks which i thought were 750ml bottles (used 1 large measured scoop of table sugar in each - which im assuming is about 6grams) i realised that the bottles were actually 640ml bottles!
Am i going to have a problem with over carbed bottles and possible bombs? Or will that amount of sugar be ok ?
My OG was 1040 and the final was 1012. Im sure the fermentation was done.
Thanks in advance.

Hi mgtra,

At that level you will have a highly carbed beer but they should not turn out to be bombs.

Here is a link to a priming guide for further reference.

Kabooby :)

Latest posts

Back