My Beer Is Dead.. Or Is It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I have a beer in primary and it is playing tricks. Early this morning it was bubbling profusely and yet when I got home this afternoon it had stopped. Is this normal? It is Morgans Pils with a LHBS Kit added. I havent check gravity yet.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are check the gravity.

I hope it isnt a leak.. its only a new fermenter! I will check the gravity though.

Thanks for your ideas!

You don't need to fix the seal, mate. It will be fine without a seal.

It won't make any difference. Just check the gravity and see where it's at. Check the temperature too, in case it has dropped too low.

RDWHAHB = relax dude while having a home brew ??? :blink:

Jye said:
RDWHAHB = relax dude while having a home brew ??? :blink:
[post="75897"][/post]​

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Forget about airlocks and bubbling. Too unreliable.
SG and visual signs are the best indicators.

scottsdale... RDWHAHB.

And check the temperature!

When it comes to yeast, I have a bit of a "Spread it out on top of the wort. She'll be right mate!" kind of attitude. Lately though, I've discovered that some yeasts just won't budge if you do this. Every Cascade kit I've done has needed the yeast to be stirred in.

Delayed start in fermentation can often be caused by the method used to pitch the yeast. If not done correctly, it may not start at all.

Hope this has been of some help.

It makes a world of difference if you re-hydrate the dry yeast prior to pitching. You also have the added benefit of being able to proof the yeast to see if it's still viable.

The temp is 20 degrees and the reading is 1.020. There is a slow bubbling occuring now approx every minute or so.

My only fear is that I may have let too much oxyqen in effing about with the seal.

Airlock activity is no indication of how your brew is going - watch it through the lid and take readings it will be fine, dodgy seals are nothing to worry about.

Back