Music In The Cloud

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Anyone use a music in the cloud service?

Ive been using Mspot and its very good. (No affiliation)

You install the Mspot uploader on your PC and set it to monitor a folder and it will upload any music in that folder to the cloud. You can then set your iphone or Android to either download that music to your phone (With a limit on GBs used) or if you have a good data plan you can just stream all your music to your phone, set playlists etc.

Its free up to 5gbs but you can pay around $3.95 per month and increase your limit to 40gbs. With the paid service you can also have music streamed on up to 5 devices. So my wife and I both use this on our Iphones.

You can also set the quality of the music which in turn decreases the size in mbs per song.

If your into music in the cloud check it out.

to be honest, i'm probably gonna be the minority, but i heard about this a while ago, and to me, it feels like a money making pie that i bet a lot of the big music publishing companies have a finger in. They have been losing sales on vinyl, cd's (actual hard copy purchases) to the digital revolution for a long time and are probably looking at other avenues to make their cash under the disguise of "customer convenience".

QUALIFIER:
I'm a professional musician and music tutor (for a living) so i have overtly strong opinions on stuff like this, so take that with a grain of salt. There are a lot of things about the music industry which piss me off as it is so good at pulling the wool over the consumer's eyes.

eg: It's completely possible for an "artist" (used loosely in this day and age) to have a number one selling song or album without a single copy being owned by anyone. People automatically make the perceived link that they must have sold a lot of copies, but it's more to do with how many copies are shipped to the record store.

If a music publishing company want's to have a number one, they simply need to press more copies and have them shipped to the record store where it is hoped that they get snapped up.

Record company's no longer make money of cd's or vinyl, but has anyone noticed the huge increase of band's touring over the last few years? Seems like every week there's another "big name" band coming out. Which is fantastic of course, but the motive behind it isn't "oh they must love australia sooooo much", it's more like "our fucken record company is pushing us to come out and spend 5 years on the road touring 'cause they have to make more money off of us".

The whole music cloud thing reeks of the same mentality forced onto the consumer. This is the way music is heading, and most likely the future of how we have to pay for, store, and listen to music. The consumer thinks "it's awesome, i don't have to actually store music on my own machine, i don't have to worry about the massive pain in the arse of spending 60 seconds importing a track, i can just access it up here"....I don't see it as convenience, i see it as a huge headfuck, when i won't be able to access my music at all when there are problems with the server, prob's with my internet connection, some other problem with licensing that thinks i don't "own" that copy of the track...I wan't a real product for my money. I love going to a cd store and actually spending 10mins or 10 hours looking through all the cd's and walking away with "something".

Can't help but think it's just another sad way that we as a society are gonna get screwed on. Every one loves itunes, media player, online digital downloads, torrents etc for their music, but it's shithouse quality people.....It's being going downhill fast. Vinyl was fantastic (very brittle and easy to break though) but shit it sounds good on a good system. CD's can sound good, but they do sound digital (obviously) and lose a lot of the warmth of the original recording. MP3's and other digital file types are crap. Of course i use them though - it's almost compulsory in my job, but i'm not happy about it. There is so much quality missing in digital files it's ridiculous, and i fear that something like this "service" is only gonna dumb down our earbuds....

I reckon it's like the K&K version of music.

rant over, as i said, i have overly strong opinions on anything like this, and i'm not out to offend anyone or change opinions, just trying to educate on where a lot of "musicians" feel the industry is going.

to be honest, i'm probably gonna be the minority, but i heard about this a while ago, and to me, it feels like a money making pie that i bet a lot of the big music publishing companies have a finger in. They have been losing sales on vinyl, cd's (actual hard copy purchases) to the digital revolution for a long time and are probably looking at other avenues to make their cash under the disguise of "customer convenience".

QUALIFIER:
I'm a professional musician and music tutor (for a living) so i have overtly strong opinions on stuff like this, so take that with a grain of salt. There are a lot of things about the music industry which piss me off as it is so good at pulling the wool over the consumer's eyes.

eg: It's completely possible for an "artist" (used loosely in this day and age) to have a number one selling song or album without a single copy being owned by anyone. People automatically make the perceived link that they must have sold a lot of copies, but it's more to do with how many copies are shipped to the record store.

If a music publishing company want's to have a number one, they simply need to press more copies and have them shipped to the record store where it is hoped that they get snapped up.

Record company's no longer make money of cd's or vinyl, but has anyone noticed the huge increase of band's touring over the last few years? Seems like every week there's another "big name" band coming out. Which is fantastic of course, but the motive behind it isn't "oh they must love australia sooooo much", it's more like "our fucken record company is pushing us to come out and spend 5 years on the road touring 'cause they have to make more money off of us".

The whole music cloud thing reeks of the same mentality forced onto the consumer. This is the way music is heading, and most likely the future of how we have to pay for, store, and listen to music. The consumer thinks "it's awesome, i don't have to actually store music on my own machine, i don't have to worry about the massive pain in the arse of spending 60 seconds importing a track, i can just access it up here"....I don't see it as convenience, i see it as a huge headfuck, when i won't be able to access my music at all when there are problems with the server, prob's with my internet connection, some other problem with licensing that thinks i don't "own" that copy of the track...I wan't a real product for my money. I love going to a cd store and actually spending 10mins or 10 hours looking through all the cd's and walking away with "something".

Can't help but think it's just another sad way that we as a society are gonna get screwed on. Every one loves itunes, media player, online digital downloads, torrents etc for their music, but it's shithouse quality people.....It's being going downhill fast. Vinyl was fantastic (very brittle and easy to break though) but shit it sounds good on a good system. CD's can sound good, but they do sound digital (obviously) and lose a lot of the warmth of the original recording. MP3's and other digital file types are crap. Of course i use them though - it's almost compulsory in my job, but i'm not happy about it. There is so much quality missing in digital files it's ridiculous, and i fear that something like this "service" is only gonna dumb down our earbuds....

rant over, as i said, i have overly strong opinions on anything like this, and i'm not out to offend anyone or change opinions, just trying to educate on where a lot of "musicians" feel the industry is going.
You left out cassettes, man. Cassettes rocked (except when you left them in the sun).
Ah cassettes. The Brigalow of music

You left out cassettes, man. Cassettes rocked (except when you left them in the sun).
Ah cassettes. The Brigalow of music

:icon_offtopic: I once had a car with an 8 track player. There were a few that came with the car including pink floyd (cant remember exact album now). Great sound from memory.

QUALIFIER:

100% agree

I was thinking about this music in the cloud stuff.

I had an idea to come up with a brew day mix, collectively selected by the folks of AHB, uploaded to the cloud for all of AHB to access.

Of course there is the issue of legality, $ to access etc so i never posted about it.

Would be kind of cool i reckon, a brewday collection / compilation. Could update it every year just like summer hits compilations, of which i have only ever seen and never owned :p

Cheers,
D80

Absolute-Very-Best-Best-Ever-Beer-Songs-Vol.-3-Absolute-Very-Best-Best-Ever-Beer-Songs.jpg

Yeah. Tops idea... <_<

That's just about the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Coverbands are the K&K of music.

Bullshit.

Coverbands are just any other band out there trying to make a living.

The real problem is that the venues that have live bands, IN GENERAL, don't support live music enough, or at the same level of interest to make it worthwhile playing originals.
We all have bills to pay, we all have to eat so most muso's end up playing whatever it takes to put food on the table.
I am a highly qualified musician with several degrees in it, yet most weekends you'll find me playing rock covers down the local pub. Is that what i want to play ALL of the time? No, it's not. I do enjoy it, but it's not what i'm qualified and have spent many years of intense study training to do.

I know a lot of members of cover bands who would outplay many members of "original" or "signed" bands you care to mention.

And yeah, i am one of them. Not bigheaded - just confident in my own abilities to say it proudly.

Was in Melbourne a few weeks ago for the Motley concert, and afterwards spent the night prowling the local live music scene. Everyone of the venues except one, had a band playing covers, and they were fuckin' brilliant. Better versions of the songs that were famous by someone else.

Coverbands are just any other band out there trying to make a living.
Yeah, you're right. **** art.

Was in Melbourne a few weeks ago for the Motley concert, and afterwards spent the night prowling the local live music scene. Everyone of the venues except one, had a band playing covers
Melbourne, Florida?

So quick question Big Nath

Is it impossible to make cds or any type of digital music sound as good as vinyl?

So quick question Big Nath

Is it impossible to make cds or any type of digital music sound as good as vinyl?

To the human ear? No, it's quite possible....and that's why digital sells online so much, because most people either can't tell the difference, or couldn't give a shit if it doesn't quite sound as "nice", but if you analyse the different sound spectrums from vinyl, cd, cassette, digital formats etc. there will be a loss of frequencies in the digital versions.

People will always pay more for convenience, and lots of companies make lots of money through the lazy or uneducated..

EDIT: When i say "there will be a loss of frequencies in the digital versions" - maybe i should have said "loss of quality of those frequencies" or something like that. Vinyl has a very warm, smoothness to it that is rarely repeated on cd, and as far as i know, can't be matched on digital file downloads. Happy to be proven wrong on this point though.

It's the reason why so many dj's and music producers/live performers, are going around and snapping up all the vinyl they can. The ones that are in the know, realise it's a nicer sound. Harder to work with for most people, sure, but for those that are REALLY serious about their music, many will prefer the same recording but done on vinyl.

Vinyl probably has the lowest dynamic range of all those media. I only say "probably" because it is certainly possible to reduce the range of a non-CD digital format well below that of vinyl - but no one does now that we're all beyond dial-up.

CD's can sound good, but they do sound digital (obviously) and lose a lot of the warmth of the original recording.

All I hear when people talk about "warmth" is clicks, pops, skips and buzzing. Tube amps? Yep, they're warmer. Vinyl? I'm not convinced.

MP3's and other digital file types are crap.

This is just not true. First, there's FLAC, for the seriously crazy - completely lossless compression of the original digital audio (like .zip file compression).

The smart option is a decent Variable Bit Rate encoded MP3 though - if you're interested, let me know, and i'll send you a blind test app - I defy you to get any more than 50% correct when trying to tell the difference between a CD and a properly encoded MP3.

You disagree with physics? Then I'll leave you to it.

I said "Good day", sir!

All I hear when people talk about "warmth" is clicks, pops, skips and buzzing. Tube amps? Yep, they're warmer. Vinyl? I'm not convinced.

This is just not true. First, there's FLAC, for the seriously crazy - completely lossless compression of the original digital audio (like .zip file compression).

The smart option is a decent Variable Bit Rate encoded MP3 though - if you're interested, let me know, and i'll send you a blind test app - I defy you to get any more than 50% correct when trying to tell the difference between a CD and a properly encoded MP3.

hmmm, interested to know more about this as you seem to know more about it than me. I am more than happy to admit i'm wrong, if i am. Have been operating on the assumption from dealing with other performers, reading from other forums, that the info i have is accurate.

Having said that, my expertise is in the performance side of music (as a musician not a track spinner) so i don't doubt other's know more about this as a specialty field.

VBR, Vynyl, Tube Amp, etc...the best stereo in the world is still going to sound like utter shit with Bieber, or that little falsetto blonde hair shit from Australias got talent pounding through it.

Bum Does that beer drinking song cd have Frenzal Rhomb : Let's Drink A Beer? Surely it's gotta have it.

You disagree with physics? Then I'll leave you to it.

I said "Good day", sir!

bum, not trying to be knob mate, but how does physics come into play?

genuinely interested.

I am completely, utterly and irrationally attached to real formats, vinyl in particular. Discogs is my friend.

Back