Murray's Whale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust you realise it's a Belgian Style Blonde & not an Aussie (bland) style Blonde?

I rate Murrays one of the very best micros in the Country, their beers are generally outstanding :icon_cheers:
They are also one of the best when it comes to customer service from my experience, so I'd be checking to see if they actually recieved your email before slagging off the Company & their beers - Have you tried calling them?

Cheers Ross

*** Not affiliated, but a very happy customer***

+1 here.

Service is OUTSTANDING. When I had a issue where 1 bottle wasnt capped properly from a 4 pack, I got and apology AND a whole carton!! Shawn is brilliant!

Just dont buy them from Dan Murphy's... Poor storage can ruin them.

It gets a bit of a mention in their interview on the Brewing Network late last year/early this year.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sun...raft-brewing-Co

that link should take you to the show page, but it might be a bit of a mission finding the reference.

Cheers

Kev

BTW - I've never had a bad beer from Murray's to complain about, excellent, interesting beers.

hmmmmmm,let me look.Absolutely no.Their product is SHIT

You've got no idea.

Everyone of their beers I tried has been excellent, even after shipping up north here.

Shawn has also gone out of his way a number of times to detail some of their methods whenever I've enquired.

Of the commercially available micro brewed beers in Australia, I'd rate Murrays right at the very top.

Another very happy customer here.

Just had a skip through the BN show, Whale Ale is mentioned at about 1 hr 29mins.

Described as a Belgian Wit, influenced by hogarden(sp?) with honey and spices.

Enjoy

Just had a skip through the BN show, Whale Ale is mentioned at about 1 hr 29mins.

Pity that the show is nearly a year old as the information is wrong. While I would never 'confirm or deny' what I see on my visits to breweries or chats with the brewer, I can cay that it 'may' have been that style a year ago but it isn't now :eek:

It seems that it is the sworn duty of every HB'er to first classify the style of a commercial beer and then brew 'that' style in an attempt to reproduce it. In my experience it would be more rewarding to try to identify what you like about a particular beer and then selct the ingredients and processes that are known to produce the desired characteristics.

Many of the commerical beers are not brewed to a style or slavish adherence to a list of ingredients but to a flavour profile that the brewer knows they can sell. This often means that you will have Ales brewed with lager yeast and pilsner malt and Wheat beers brewed with ale yeast.

This is why it is so distressing to see a beer described as 'shit' as if this was the true characteristic of the beer it would see us fishing around in the toilet bowl in an attempt to re-create the style :D It is far more helpfull to see it described as 'sour', 'band-aide' or 'rotten cabbage' as these help to pinpoint what may have gone wrong. But even 'shit' beers have flavours (malty, wheaty, crisp, hoppy) and other descriptions that can help.

The best place to start to 'clone' a beer would be to grab a sample and read what the producer describes it as. Taste the beer and try to identify what you like as you sip. For Murray's Whale Ale the website says:

[codebox]Handcrafted in celebration of our relocation to Port Stephens, Murray's
Whale Ale is a crisp and refreshing American Wheat Beer named in honour of the
majestic creatures that grace our beautiful shores each year. This unfiltered wheat
beer has low bitterness and is a very easy-drinking beer. Our most popular beer.

Murray's Whale Ale offers a crisp, clean alternative to heavier bodied wits and hefeweizens.

Murray's Whale is a great session beer and also a beautiful accompaniment to white meats and salads.

Available all year round.

Type:Ale
Style: American Wheat Beer
4.5% abv[/codebox]

In summary:

'crisp and refreshing ... unfiltered wheat beer .. low bitterness and is a very easy-drinking beer. ... crisp, clean alternative to heavier bodied wits and hefeweizens'

So if you use 50% wheat malt or extract and the balance Ale/Pilsner grain or light malt extract will get you close, keep the hops low (15-20 IBU) and use a clean American ale, lager or wheat yeast fermented around 15 DegC.

You won't necessarily get Marray's Whale Ale but you will get a fairly close beer that you can proudly call your own.

HTH,
Dave

QUOTE (kevo @ Sep 11 2009, 03:54 PM)

Pity that the show is nearly a year old as the information is wrong. While I would never 'confirm or deny' what I see on my visits to breweries or chats with the brewer, I can cay that it 'may' have been that style a year ago but it isn't now

Sorry guys, just paraphrased what was said by Shawn, the brewer, on the BN show - just trying to help.

Kev

Funnily enough my experience has been the exact opposite; I think Whale Ale is a dam fine beer. In fact I have yet to have a bad beer from Murrays; lucky for me it's on tap at quite a few pubs round Newcastle.

What?? Where are these pubs......please

Love the Murray's Pale and tried my first Whale Ale from the bottlo at Warners Bay - you know the one.

I have just had a couple pints of Whale Ale and (now available at Transit Bar in Canberra City) it was served at 2 degrees but by the end of the pint I found it to be extremely good.

+4 for the Whale ale

good beer, better than the other swill available at my local.

No wonder shawn ignored your emails hoohaaman you sound like an F**n beer swilling moron idiot no beer of thiers is remotely like VB, have you tried their grand cru ?

Why would a brewer that has won awards need to dignify a response to VB ?

I'm not a huge fan of the sassy blonde either but the rest of the range is gold, even have 2 of this years anniverary ales in the cellar ready for that special occasion. Because the last ones were excellent examples of good barely wine.

As for the mention on the BN podcast thats a big thumbs up for him, how many beers are there in the US and only very few get mentioned in the good ol U.S of A he must be doing something right despite what you might think hoohaaman, have any of your beers been mentioned in the podcast ?

+4 for the Whale ale

good beer, better than the other swill available at my local.

No wonder shawn ignored your emails hoohaaman you sound like an F**n beer swilling moron idiot no beer of thiers is remotely like VB, have you tried their grand cru ?

Why would a brewer that has won awards need to dignify a response to VB ?

I'm not a huge fan of the sassy blonde either but the rest of the range is gold, even have 2 of this years anniverary ales in the cellar ready for that special occasion. Because the last ones were excellent examples of good barely wine.

As for the mention on the BN podcast thats a big thumbs up for him, how many beers are there in the US and only very few get mentioned in the good ol U.S of A he must be doing something right despite what you might think hoohaaman, have any of your beers been mentioned in the podcast ?

your abuse is not waranted,where did he compare the actual beer to vb?And maybe,just maybe the product he got was actually shit,it is possible (why he determines it to be "shit beer" i dont know,infection,taste etc)

anyone tried brewing this yet, i brewed a wheat beer earlier this year and put a lager yeast in by mistake and it turned out to be the best beer ive ever brewed but i moved houses and didnt brew for a while and i didnt save the recipe in beersmith :(
Ive fallin in love with the whale ale over the last few months as it reminds me of the wheat beer i brewed.
I would really like this beer permanently on one of my taps at my house.

Murrays Brewery and the lord nelson brewery are my favorite brewery experiences so far as far as taste, service and vibe at these places are.

Murray's is one of the best breweries in NSW, they make amazing beers and dont use electric probes to boil their wort, and I'm pretty sure they use liquid yeast unlike alot of Sydney breweries, Murray's Grand Crew is a very well respected beer in a few big magazines, don't worry about ratebeer any idiot with an un-educated opinion can get on there and rate a mediocre beer amazing.

Alot of small Sydney breweries do that and it carmalizes the wort a bit and doesn't produce the best product. There are a couple small Calif. breweries using probes and it just doesn't cut it in my eyes

Alot of small Sydney breweries do that and it carmalizes the wort a bit and doesn't produce the best product. There are a couple small Calif. breweries using probes and it just doesn't cut it in my eyes

By probes do you mean exposed electric elements?

+5

I rate Murrays highly and all their beers are of exceptionally high standard. And Shawn is a great bloke always open for questions from someone interested.

yea big ass exposed electric probe or probes to heat the wort, shit heats up too quick and in one small area and caramalizes some of the wort to give it a different, sometimes un-desireable characteristic

Necro alert.

Well the OP's question never got answered. Whale Ale certainly opened my eyes to wheat beers - until then I thought that all wheat beers were supposed to taste like trough lollies - then MHB took me over the road for a pint and I was won over, so eventually I got round to having a stab at something similar.

Moby_wheat__Large_.jpg

Moby_Wheat_screenshot.JPG

Smooth, easy drinking, that nice wheat head - I only used 10g of Stella as you can see but plenty of bitterness for the style. Probably go great on Green Bullet for a more Murrayish flavour and use Wy 1056 or even Wy 1007 if you don't want to use the Sandiego, but it seems to be perfect for the style.

I like this one.

:)

Ahh nice one Bribie, and what a crackin' beer it is!

I'll be brewing similar tommorow, hooray.

Back