Murray's Whale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've really been enjoying the Whale Ale on tap at the Dockyard in Newcastle and want to attempt an AG clone.

Does anyone have a recipe or can suggest something similar?

Cheers,
cliffo

Well I'll never ever buy any product from them.

In short the product was shit,they didn't answer the problem.Sent numerous emails,not a single reply

Yes, yes, yes.....but do you have a clone recipe?

Funnily enough my experience has been the exact opposite; I think Whale Ale is a dam fine beer. In fact I have yet to have a bad beer from Murrays; lucky for me it's on tap at quite a few pubs round Newcastle.

Over the years I've had the odd dodge Coopers (especially in the days of the rip tag bottles) doesn't make them bad brewers, probably means the beer was mishandled after it left the brewery.

Let me guess you went to Dans that's just asking for trouble.
MHB

Funnily enough my experience has been the exact opposite; I think Whale Ale is a dam fine beer. In fact I have yet to have a bad beer from Murrays; lucky for me it's on tap at quite a few pubs round Newcastle.

Over the years I've had the odd dodge Coopers (especially in the days of the rip tag bottles) doesn't make them bad brewers, probably means the beer was mishandled after it left the brewery.

Let me guess you went to Dans – that's just asking for trouble.
MHB

Dans or not,they ignored my concerns.If I sent an email about "vb" I bet I'd get a return.

Put simply I tried the Blonde from various stores,all tasted like band aids.Emailed my concerns...............no response.

Piss poor,like the product I had the misfortune to taste.

I don't drink alot of commercial beer,but keep my ear to the ground in here regarding beers to try, Murray's got some great feedback so tried some.Wow what a waste.

Had a Murrays Pale the other night and it got a 2 big thumbs up from me.

I believe Whale Ale is an American Wheat style from memory, but probably has NZ hops or Australian at a guess.
Have a search for american wheat recipes then sub in something local hop wise...

That's a broad answer I know but it's a start...

Isn't there a beer that the Flying Horse Brewery does called Whale Ale??? Wonder who got it first...?

I believe Whale Ale is an American Wheat style from memory, but probably has NZ hops or Australian at a guess.
Have a search for american wheat recipes then sub in something local hop wise...

That's a broad answer I know but it's a start...

Is the Whale Ale simply their "Sunrise Wheat" (filtered wit) renamed? Their Dark Knight porter may also be a renamed version of their Swinging Arm Dark Ale.

PS. They love their kiwi hops.

Is the Whale Ale simply their "Sunrise Wheat" (filtered wit) renamed? Their Dark Knight porter may also be a renamed version of their Swinging Arm Dark Ale.

PS. They love their kiwi hops.

Don't know about the first two, I thought I read somewhere it was an American wheat style...
Definitely on the last point. I know that in the past they where all made with NZ hops, but that information is a few years old now so it may have changed especially with more Aussie varieties around...

Clearly copyright doesn't apply to beer names then!
of course it does, but yor cant copyright a single word otherwise there would only be one beer in the world with draught in its name. get my drift. you copyright the whole name not part of the name

Put simply I tried the Blonde from various stores,all tasted like band aids.

Piss poor,like the product I had the misfortune to taste.

I trust you realise it's a Belgian Style Blonde & not an Aussie (bland) style Blonde?

I rate Murrays one of the very best micros in the Country, their beers are generally outstanding :icon_cheers:
They are also one of the best when it comes to customer service from my experience, so I'd be checking to see if they actually recieved your email before slagging off the Company & their beers - Have you tried calling them?

Cheers Ross

*** Not affiliated, but a very happy customer***

Don't know about the first two, I thought I read somewhere it was an American wheat style...
Definitely on the last point. I know that in the past they where all made with NZ hops, but that information is a few years old now so it may have changed especially with more Aussie varieties around...

Doh. I went to the source and it is indeed named as an American Wheat-
http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/web09v2/beersPage.php?5

Sorry about that!

of course it does, but yor cant copyright a single word otherwise there would only be one beer in the world with draught in its name. get my drift. you copyright the whole name not part of the name

But "Whale Ale" doesn't describe the style or type of beer like "Draught" or "sparkling ale" or "amber ale" does. Whale Ale is a specific product name. So I would have thought either "Flying Horse Whale Ale" or "Murrays Whale Ale" would have been copyrighted (depending on whoever named it first). Then presumably somebody else naming a beer Whale Ale could be seen as trading off the name of a competitor's product.

business names and copy right are differant. business names have to be distinct wherre as 'brand' names dont.

if some body tried sellin a beer as citymorgue2 whale ale i get done for as murry';s would jhave whale ale copyrighted. if i tried sellin something as whale drool ale id get away with it, even though it takes off murry's and a canadian beer (there is a moose drool beer). funny thing copyright. and actually thinking about it, it would be a combination of trademark and copyright. mostly trademarking.

if some body tried sellin a beer as citymorgue2 whale ale i get done for as murry';s would jhave whale ale copyrighted.

Yeah that's exactly what I am saying though. I'm just using Murray's and Flying Horse as an illustrative example, its not specific to them, just something I've always been puzzled about. From what I recall, the Flying Horse beer is called "Flying Horse Whale Ale", and the Murrays one is called "Murrays Whale Ale" - that seems like a copyright breach to me (by whoever created their name second).

Back