Muntons Yorkshire Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
G'day,
New here, but have been brewing on/off for years. Thought I'd start up again and got me a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter kit. Brewed as per directions, but left on the lees under lock for about 3 weeks due to travel commitments. anyway, recked it in to a 19 ltr keg, carbonated and chilled same over a couple of days and tapped the keg, only to find a very thin, almost tastless liquid which did not really resemble Yorkshire bitter at all.

Anyone else had any problems with Muntons YB kits???

Shifter.

G'day,
New here, but have been brewing on/off for years. Thought I'd start up again and got me a Muntons Yorkshire Bitter kit. Brewed as per directions, but left on the lees under lock for about 3 weeks due to travel commitments. anyway, recked it in to a 19 ltr keg, carbonated and chilled same over a couple of days and tapped the keg, only to find a very thin, almost tastless liquid which did not really resemble Yorkshire bitter at all.

Anyone else had any problems with Muntons YB kits???

Shifter.

g'day shifter,

yeah i did one of those kits a year or so ago and remember being pissed off at how shit it was....i ended up putting it to the back of the bottled stock at the time and forgot about it. Several months later it was muuuuuuuch better. Still not what i consider to be good, but a huge improvement on the beer i was going to tip down the drain....
Maybe it's the style it's based on, as english bitter is not something i've had a lot of, but i wasn't impressed by this kit. It wasn't long after this kit that i started thinking about grains...

welcome to the forum mate,
nath

Thanks Nath,

That's reassuring. I am not keeping it, it's currently in a keg and nicely chilled but will probably dump it and "try again". I have a Muntons Continental Larger on at the moment and see how that comes out.

I will also get in to some grains etc.

Cheers

g'day shifter,

yeah i did one of those kits a year or so ago and remember being pissed off at how shit it was....i ended up putting it to the back of the bottled stock at the time and forgot about it. Several months later it was muuuuuuuch better. Still not what i consider to be good, but a huge improvement on the beer i was going to tip down the drain....
Maybe it's the style it's based on, as english bitter is not something i've had a lot of, but i wasn't impressed by this kit. It wasn't long after this kit that i started thinking about grains...

welcome to the forum mate,
nath

Thanks Nath,

That's reassuring. I am not keeping it, it's currently in a keg and nicely chilled but will probably dump it and "try again". I have a Muntons Continental Larger on at the moment and see how that comes out.

I will also get in to some grains etc.

Cheers

Yeah I have never been that happy with Muntons kits. I did a Newcastle Brown (a muntons kit re-lablled as Brewcraft) early in the year using 1kg DME + SO4 yeast and was very dissapointed at the result. I think because they are coming from the UK they are less fresh than the Australian kits such as coopers and Morgan's. Stick with Aussie made I reckon.

My first ever kit brew was a Munton's Nut Brown Ale and I thought it was quite good, as did others that sampled it. The next was a Munton's Export Stout with a Stout pack which finished a bit high but was also very drinkable after a reasonable maturation time. I then did a Munton's Traditional Bitter with steeped grain and finishing hops which also turned out quite nice. These kits did have a tendency to finish a little high with regards to FG, which I believe is a trait of the Munton's Kits, but not thin and watery so I'm not sure you can positively blame the ingredients for your results.

Latest posts

Back