Muntons Yorkshire Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cozmocracker

Reaction score
Just picked up a can of muntons yorkshire bitter 1.8kg and a can of morgans master caramalt blend 1kg (this will be my 3rd brew). Any suggestions of what i might add to this or should i just keep it stock standard, i have about 250g of LDME i thought i might add to it, yes? no?
i am off to the local for a couple of beers, as mine are still conditioning and i going to be patient, so i hope to return to some thought provoking suggestions.

cheers to one and all

Just picked up a can of muntons yorkshire bitter 1.8kg and a can of morgans master caramalt blend 1kg (this will be my 3rd brew). Any suggestions of what i might add to this or should i just keep it stock standard, i have about 250g of LDME i thought i might add to it, yes? no?
i am off to the local for a couple of beers, as mine are still conditioning and i going to be patient, so i hope to return to some thought provoking suggestions.

cheers to one and all

hi, a nice drop of beer with a kilo of malt.

cheers
alan

alright last chance for any suggestions, i will be brewing tomorrow. should i add the LDME? i contacted Muntons to try and find out what sort of yeast they supplied but no responce so im thinkin l'll try the nottingham (yes? no?). should i add some hops? if so what sort. What temp does the nottingham like to be pitched and fermented?

cheers in advance

coz

Personally, I would leave it at just the tin of YB and the tin of caramalt. OG in 23L around 1038ish, just right for a bitter imo. A yorkie should be sweet on the front end, bitterness kicking in in the mid palate and a dry finish...so nottingham (as far as dry yeasts are concerned) is a good choice for it...it should attenuate fairly well...
18-20C for the nottingham...I'd suggest 18. just be aware that nottingham chews through quickly, so don't panic if it looks like it's stopped in a few days. It's a fast working hungry little bugger. ;)

cheers butters, i will follow your words of wisdom. much appreciated.

the 1st brew, a brewcraft kit (becks style) went down a treat with the indoor cricket team tonight. saving the rest for xmas day. the YB will be for end of season cricket BBQ.

coz

Back in my kit days I made this up with a brew blend from the store, dark ale blend, not sure what it contained, and added in some Fuggles and Goldings hops.
I used S04 dry yeast.
It was a very popular drop.
I think the caramalt would work well with it.

I made this kit up 11 days ago using a recipe from the LHBS. Its still a bit green tasting in the keg but its showing a lot of promise, already has fantastic head retention and flavour.

The recipe (Kilkenny clone apparently for what its worth):

1 x munton YB
250g corn syrup
500g lt malt
250g dextrose
English Ale Yeast
12g Goldings
12 Fuggles

Cheers,
Jake

Just an afterthought, because differant people have differant tastes.....bear in mind, cozmo, that this will produce a fairly mildly hopped english style beer....English Standard Bitter isn't actually very bitter...its more a malt driven beer. If you like your beer bitter (in the hoppy sense), add some more hops....as suggested, fuggle, EKG, or both (or styrian goldings). But not too much (if you want to retain a Yorkshire style). ;) It doesn't help that the muntons website says this kit is 17-23IBU...thats a fairly big range to try and judge.....

A truly delightful kit, restrain the urge to over hop so you get to appreciate fully the soft toffy and caramel flavours typical of Muntons malt. A little EKG or Fuggle as suggester would be great, just dont hide the malt.

Muntons kits come with yeast made by Saf (if what I hear is true) and its a very good yeast, personally if I didnt have a very good reason to change it I wouldnt go to the extra expense, the yeast supplied is a good match to the kit.

This kit rewards maturity, 3 months or longer will really highlight how good a kit it truly is.

Lastly that range of IBU (EBU) values (17-23), the bitterness of a beer can change by up to 30%, just by varying the fermentation temperature, something outside the control of the kit maker.
Strange how the range quoted (6) over the mean value (20) is 30%.

You cant blame Muntons for the quality of information they put on their packaging, colour and realistic bitterness information, I just wish more kit makers were so forthcoming.

Top Kit
Cheers
MHB

ok, i have decided to use the yeast supplied, Saf yeast as MHB suggested, so what temp does it like and what temp should i pitch at?

i got 12g of fuggles (i like my bitters) and i will leave it at that.

my only problem now is, after bottling a batch last night im short on bottles, might ask to get my chrissy present early (a couple of kegs ) got a co2 reg coming my way as well, just need a co2 bottle and a tap.

i have been fermenting the YB for 8 days now, for last 3 its stuck on 1020, it started at 1052, i think SG is still to high but have a wide range of info from 1008 to 1018 for FG. i just gave it a swirl to see if it kick starts things again but would like some opinions on what FG should be. i used muntons yorkshire bitter 1.8kg and a can of morgans master caramalt blend 1kg using yeast suppiled, meant to be a SAF but what sort i dont know. It got pitched at 24 and fermented at 18.

Happy New Years! :beer:

Ive only done it once and it finished at 1.014. A nice drop though and the keg is almost finished.

i have been fermenting the YB for 8 days now, for last 3 its stuck on 1020, it started at 1052, i think SG is still to high but have a wide range of info from 1008 to 1018 for FG. i just gave it a swirl to see if it kick starts things again but would like some opinions on what FG should be. i used muntons yorkshire bitter 1.8kg and a can of morgans master caramalt blend 1kg using yeast suppiled, meant to be a SAF but what sort i dont know. It got pitched at 24 and fermented at 18.

Happy New Years! :beer:

Hi there

I did the Muntons Yorkshire bitter yesterday and it started at 1055.

The recipe was:

1.8 kb kit of Munton Yorkshire Bitter
700 grams of dry dark malt
500 grams of dry wheat malt

300grams of crystal grain stepped for 3o mins @ 70 degs

15gr of Goldings hops pallets in the boil for 10 mins

The taste was quite malty and the hops added a nice bitterness but overall it was more malt than bitterness.

I am a bit worried that i used too much malt given i added grain wort to the fermenter also which i guess is why i ended up with 1055 OG.

What did yours end up finishing on?

I used the yeast supplied with the kit and pitched at 18 deg and will probably ferment between 18 and 22 degs depending on the sydney weather over the next few days. its pretty cold now so hope it stays constant.

This morning it had only just started to show some froth build up on the surface.

Hi tumi,

as i mentioned, on day 6 it stopped at 1020, i left till day 14 and it was still at 1020, i bottled and left it to condition for 8 to 10 weeks( i made this for the cricket team and handed it out at the end of season). i was left with 1 bottle which i really enjoyed and wished i had more, so far i have had nothing but good comments on the brew! i didnt add any extras and i used the kit yeast, i did find out through Muntons what it was, if i can dig it up i will post the info.

cheers cozmo

ah the kit yeast was Saccharomyces Cerevisia, what ever that means! somebody might be able to put that in lamens terms.

ah the kit yeast was Saccharomyces Cerevisia, what ever that means! somebody might be able to put that in lamens terms.

In laymens terms that would be an ecumenical matter....... Its the latin name for ale yeast. I couldn't tell you what strain though....

Hope that helped ;)

Hi tumi,

as i mentioned, on day 6 it stopped at 1020, i left till day 14 and it was still at 1020, i bottled and left it to condition for 8 to 10 weeks( i made this for the cricket team and handed it out at the end of season). i was left with 1 bottle which i really enjoyed and wished i had more, so far i have had nothing but good comments on the brew! i didnt add any extras and i used the kit yeast, i did find out through Muntons what it was, if i can dig it up i will post the info.

cheers cozmo
Great thanks for the reply.

After 24 hours it has started to froth but no bubbles yet.

Good to hear it was a nice drop.

well if the krauzen has formed then its on its way, remember to ignore the airlock because there not to be trusted, co2 can easily escape from the lid so if theres no bubble activity then dont worry. i normally check the gravity about 10 days in then at 14, checking the gravity is the only real way of making sure its fermenting. after 3 stable readings your ready to bottle.

good luck and enjoy!

ps you can guesstimate your final gravity by dividing your SG by 4, so if you started at 1050 you could expect it to finish about 1012.

also remember to remove airlock before taking a SG sample, so you dont suck dirty water into your fermenter, i used to use some no rinse sanitizer in there. now i just use a shot glass over the airlock hole with the grommet removed.

Latest posts

Back