Muntons Premium Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt

Reaction score
G'day all

What temps can Muntons Prem Gold handle? Will it do its stuff down to 12 - 15 deg, or is it better up around the 20ish? Anyone used it down this low and with what results?

Might try my necromancer powers at getting this thread alive.

Anyway, in regards to temperature http://byo.com/resources/yeast suggests 57F to 77F (14c - 25c for the non American world).
It is this huge temperature range that makes it such an attractive option.
A question I have about it, or dry yeast in general perhaps, is that I put down a brew about 2 hours ago with this yeast in it and I've noticed a few gloobs the size of a 10 cent piece floating around, and some floating to the top. Should I tap the fermenter to break them down or is this part of the natural brewing process? Has anyone tried this yeast, and if so your thoughts?

you should sprinkle the yeast evenly over the surface. It should drop into the wort in its own time.

This yeast is bloody good yeast I love it but always think I am underpitching with it and its the same price for 7g as the other dry yeast is for 12g. It does work well but if its over 1.050 gravity id prob want to pitch 2 packs. Or if you were to ferment under 17 deg pitch 2 packs

I have a pack of this yeast at home and not used it yet. What style of beer is it best for?

you should sprinkle the yeast evenly over the surface. It should drop into the wort in its own time.

I'd normal do that, however the brew had 10cm of thick head on top so I thought it best to gently stir it into the top of the liquid. Looks a bit odd the way it is currently floating in clumps just bellow the surface.
Also, on a Fermentis PDF it suggests for their yeast, stirring into the top after letting float there for 30 mins.

Edit: finger in photo to show size ratio. And for woeful grammar.

IMG_0135.JPG

I used it in a stout fermented about 20C and thought it gave a strong sweet/honey taste that wasn't to style, might have been partly because of the recipe though.

Latest posts

Back