Munich Lager Tastes Very Fruity?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maca_ab

Reaction score
Hi guys. Cracked open my first bottle. A munich lager kit. I know that good beers get better with age. I cracked my first after 2 weeks. The pressure got too much (not the bottle... me). Any way the beer tastes very fruity. Is this what munich lager tastes like. Im sure it doesnt. It has the taste of when you eat an orange after it gets a little bit old. What do think?

What were all your ingredients, batch size, fermentation time and temperature?

I'm fairly sure Munich Lager isn't meant to be fruity :)

Hi guys. Cracked open my first bottle. A munich lager kit. I know that good beers get better with age. I cracked my first after 2 weeks. The pressure got too much (not the bottle... me). Any way the beer tastes very fruity. Is this what munich lager tastes like. Im sure it doesnt. It has the taste of when you eat an orange after it gets a little bit old. What do think?

That doesn't sound like anything I've read about before, but I'm still learning too. Maybe post some more details about your method - temperature of ferment, ingredients, length of ferment, gravity readings, etc - and I'm sure someone will come up with some suggestions soon.

cheers,

microbe

BTW - Welcome to AHB

EDIT - beat me to it, Adamt :)

What did you use as your sterilant for your fermenter and your bottles?

not sure on your process, but maybe you needed to rinse your bottles between sterilization and bottleing.

sounds to me like a slight impurity somewhere. What was your process?

Could be too much sucrose and too high a fermenting temperature. Years ago a friend gave me one of his beers he fermented in the middle of summer made with some type of pilsener kit and a kilo of table sugar: tasted just like a friuty wine. If it is a cidery friuty taste it may dissapate a little (but not completely) after a bit more time in the bottle.

I did a Coopers Mexican Cerveza a few months back with 500g of dextrose and 500g of liquid rice malt. After a week or two in the bottle it tasted just like ******* apple cider. But a couple months on there are now no cidery notes that I can detect: but I guess this has to do with rice malt and not sucrose. However, the time in the bottle does fix some things.

As Adamt querried what ingredient did you use?
I have only brewed a kit with the yeast provided in my first two attempt and found the lagers kits tasted like an ale.

As a norm the yeast provided in kits are ale yeast and and will be slightly fruitier.
Ale yeast should be fermented at 18 degrees +/- 2.
The old orange flavour could be two things bad yeast and/or poor ferment.
What i mean with this;
if the temperatur have fluctuated a lot during ferment the yeast can give off some undesirable flavours,
If the yeast was old it may have taken some time to get going and you may have imparted a slight infection.
Though most times infection have a sour note to it.

The beer maybe fruity but the yeast make it taste a little bit offish before settling down.

Your best bet is to taste one bottle a week and see if it improves.

Sorry about the delay. thanks for all the info so far. The yeast was part of the kit. No label or identification on the sachet. They fermentation took about 48 hours to start. I got worried so i asked my retailer and he said i had a leak somewhere. Being my first batch I came home and tightened the lid. The airlock the bubbled instantly for about 3 - 4 days. Temperature got as low as 18 and as high as 24. Maybe too much??? Sat mainly about 22 -24 degrees though. My sanitiser is a 'no need to rinse' so i sprayed at the right dilution then let drain (could have possibly been some wet sainiser still in bottles... not sure though. Sugers were a brewblend no.15. I think its 500g corn syrup 500g dextrose. Dont quote me on that. Carbonated with carbonation drops. Thanks again for all the info already supplied. As im an amatuer I'm sure my beers will get better with my processes improving. And as u guys say rdwhahb. Cheers

Apologies if you dont quite understand me here, I've just been at the Belgian Beer Cafe and I'm a little pasted :)

At 22-24 degrees, the yeast will pretty much say "Aaargh, all this energy and all this fuel, let's get through it as fast as possible", and it will digest the malts/sugars and throw out anything from fusel alcohols (really sharp alcohol flavour, hangover inducing alcohol), to esters (fruity flavours), basically whatever the yeast can do with the sugars as quickly as possible.

Get your fermentation temperature around 20 or below and then "Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew", as we say!

Cheers, Adam

Back