Multi-Purpose 50L SS heat-preserving pail - uses?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
While rummaging through a sellers ebay store I came across this. It feels like it should be useful but I think the double walls actually complicate use - that is you can't drill anymore holes through the wall easily.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Purpose-50L-heat-preserving-Pail-Stainless-Steel-/172339647771

First thought was for a 1V (I've only got BIAB,1V experience) but there's no easy way to get an element in there and gas would not work I imagine.

Fermenter with a hole in the lid for C02 could work, although getting a good temp read on the wort would be problematic.

Any thoughts around it's potential use in the beer shed?

buckerooni said:
While rummaging through a sellers ebay store I came across this. It feels like it should be useful but I think the double walls actually complicate use - that is you can't drill anymore holes through the wall easily.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Purpose-50L-heat-preserving-Pail-Stainless-Steel-/172339647771

First thought was for a 1V (I've only got BIAB,1V experience) but there's no easy way to get an element in there and gas would not work I imagine.

Fermenter with a hole in the lid for C02 could work, although getting a good temp read on the wort would be problematic.

Any thoughts around it's potential use in the beer shed?
I'm not any type of expert, but I wouldn't think there's any real concern drilling through? I'd assume the walls are filled with a foam/wool? Wouldn't you just drill and attach a weldless ball valve with an extended thread?

They specify an ID and OD, but not an inner and outer height. Makes me wonder if the base is only single walled.

I'm heading to the shop today, will try to see it in the flesh!

Keen to see how this goes. $100 for a 50L stainless fermenter would be pretty nice.

For $100 that would make a great mash tun for use with herms or rims.

I know I'm pushing it here, but that pail appears to have clamps not dissimilar to those on a pressure-rated fermenter. Any chance it could support pressurisation?

mtb said:
I know I'm pushing it here, but that pail appears to have clamps not dissimilar to those on a pressure-rated fermenter. Any chance it could support pressurisation?
Would you want a insulated fermenter? In the interest of allowing a free flow of heat/cool to maintain a steady fermentation temp would a single wall fermenter be better? (Obviously these musings don't apply to a fermentation vessel with a double walled cooling jacket)

mtb said:
I think you're pushing it! It's thin SS and meant for tea. I don't think I saw any deliberate seal on the lid either.

Great find buckerooni. I was banging on about these sort of insulated vessels years ago hoping some Australian HBS would import them and trick them up as mashtuns.

The vessel you've found available here via Ebay looks very similar to the Thermopots UK brewers have been using as mash tuns for about 7 or 8 years now. Check out Jim's Beer Kit forum in the UK and do a search for "thermopot" (http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/index.htm ). Unfortunately many of the old posts have had the images removed. But here's a more recent Youtube of a brewer converting a Thermopot to bottom/centre draining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9E1LgQy9kU

Some people have opted to make the bottom drain hole closer to the side so they could tip the vessel to get more wort out (seems the expanded foam insulation can cause the thin metal skin of the bottom of the vessel to bulge up slightly, meaning you can get a small wort puddle around the edge which won't drain out of a central hole).

People have installed elements through the base of Thermopots too. I recall some people trying to use induction heating elements after cutting away the metal outer skin and foam at the base and attaching a disc of thicker metal on the outside of the inner skin (gives the induction element something put its heat into - the vessel skin is too thin). One guy was experimenting using a disc-shaped adhesive silicone heater element stuck on the underside of the inner skin (after the insulation had been cut away). But he never followed up his thread.

Anyway, a major force in getting Thermopot/Mashtun conversions underway on Jim's in the UK was a poster by name of Barney. I think he's an AHB member here under the name Barneey (note the two ee's). He would be the go-to-guy to say how these pots you've found would work as mash tuns.

To me they look ideal for mashing - very well insulated so minimal temp loss, and stainless for bling and easy cleaning.

Latest posts

Back