Multi Batch, Do You Multiply The Hops As Well?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.m

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am getting near the end of my last 80lt batch of Cascade hopped based JSGA clone (couldn't get Amarillo) brew. It turned out quite nice but now I have Amarillo. The JSGA recipes in the forums here seem to have a lot of hops in them; up to 60 grams per 20lt brew. If I am multiplying all of the other ingredients, do I also multiply the hops?.
What advantage do you get from dry hopping with amarillo? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but i have used 30g of POR in a brew and it was really hoppy. I dont want to make the same mistake again.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, for a double batch just use twice the hops. Since this is in the Kits and Extracts section, what exactly are you doing with the hops? The kits are already hopped of course. Using too many hops in the boil would then give you too much bitterness.

Not a stupid question at all. Dry hopping will give you lots of hop aroma. Amarillo is really nice dry hopped. If you're not sure how much hop aroma you want, you can cut that back a bit this time and then add more to the next batch if you want more. POR is not really a good hop to dry hop with. It can also give a harsh bitterness and flavour if you use too much. Did you dry hop with it or boil the extract with it?

Yeah, for a double batch just use twice the hops. Since this is in the Kits and Extracts section, what exactly are you doing with the hops? The kits are already hopped of course. Using too many hops in the boil would then give you too much bitterness.

Not a stupid question at all. Dry hopping will give you lots of hop aroma. Amarillo is really nice dry hopped. If you're not sure how much hop aroma you want, you can cut that back a bit this time and then add more to the next batch if you want more. POR is not really a good hop to dry hop with. It can also give a harsh bitterness and flavour if you use too much. Did you dry hop with it or boil the extract with it?

Lats time on boiled it with extract and lager kit. This time I'm going to try a straight extract brew using Coopers wheat malt, caramalt and light malt, with US05 yeast and Amarillo 15@30, 15@10 and 15@flame out or dry hopped not sure.. Hoping to make something similar to JSGA. We'll wait and see. What do you think?

That plan sounds fine. If you boiled 30g of POR with the kit then that's pretty likely to give you a really bitter beer, but your recipe shouldn't do that. I'd say add the 15g at flame out. Then later after fermentation is more or less finished you can taste your gravity sample and decide if you'd like a bit more aroma or not. If you want more, then just dry hop with 15g more.

That plan sounds fine. If you boiled 30g of POR with the kit then that's pretty likely to give you a really bitter beer, but your recipe shouldn't do that. I'd say add the 15g at flame out. Then later after fermentation is more or less finished you can taste your gravity sample and decide if you'd like a bit more aroma or not. If you want more, then just dry hop with 15g more.

Beauty thanks heaps Stuster.

Latest posts

Back