Moving to Launceston Tasmania, where to get my brewgear?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm moving to tas in a couple of months and would like any tips on finding all grain brewing supplies and a brew club? Any tips greatly appreciated!

motman said:
Hi all, I'm moving to tas in a couple of months and would like any tips on finding all grain brewing supplies and a brew club? Any tips greatly appreciated!
I think your a lucky man.
I'm trying to get to Tasmania myself but work's pretty hard to come by.
I took the family there in June last year & stayed at Kingston, about half an hour south of Hobart.
We did all the tourist stuff, Port Arthur, Huon Valley, Willy Smith's apple cider joint, Salamanca, Lark distillery, Museum etc. My sister moved there almost 4yrs ago ( Bellerive ) & they love it & I can't wait to get back down there. We're looking at heading back in August / September for 2 weeks & head to the West & East coast to see what we missed out on last time. It's like stepping back in time that place & no one seems to be in a hurry & the people are weirdly friendly, it's a refreshing change from the agro, rush, rush lifestyle I'm used to.
What are you going to do for work?

Hey motman,

There's a few of us in Launceston now - we have a brew club that meets once a month (first Monday), and we have a FB group I can add you to if you'd like.

Brew By You opened a store in Invermay last year and they're good for malts (incl. full bags), plus all the gear you might need (incl. kegging stuff). Most of us buy hops and yeast from interstate.

Northern Home Brewing is pretty old school, mostly focused on kit beers and distilling. Every homebrewer I've met in Launceston has an amusing story of shockingly bad customer service they've received there... but you'll have to experience that for yourself!

Saint John is definitely the place to go for craft beer, but (full disclosure) I'm biased, having had a small hand in it starting up.

PM me if you want to join he FB group.
Cheers!
Stuart.

JDW81 said:
Brisbane to Launceston, buy a decent coat.
Yep, I'm scared.. I did the move many years ago from Melbourne and froze my bits off for the first year. Now I light the fire when nights get below 18c, so the shock is gonna be brutal!

Crusty said:
I think your a lucky man.
I'm trying to get to Tasmania myself but work's pretty hard to come by.
I took the family there in June last year & stayed at Kingston, about half an hour south of Hobart.
We did all the tourist stuff, Port Arthur, Huon Valley, Willy Smith's apple cider joint, Salamanca, Lark distillery, Museum etc. My sister moved there almost 4yrs ago ( Bellerive ) & they love it & I can't wait to get back down there. We're looking at heading back in August / September for 2 weeks & head to the West & East coast to see what we missed out on last time. It's like stepping back in time that place & no one seems to be in a hurry & the people are weirdly friendly, it's a refreshing change from the agro, rush, rush lifestyle I'm used to.
What are you going to do for work?
It is a beautiful, if super cold place. And yep, work is really hard to find. I feel pretty lucky to have landed a job working on improvement projects in the Aquaculture sector.

motman said:
It is a beautiful, if super cold place. And yep, work is really hard to find. I feel pretty lucky to have landed a job working on improvement projects in the Aquaculture sector.
Nice. I hope it all works out mate.
Cheers

What Stu said basically (although I'm yet to get to one of those meetings, always elsewhere on the night due to work). Its not that cold really, I'm 3 and a bit years here from Bris and after one winter you're fine. Having worked a fair bit of the previous winter at Lake St Clair, a Lonny winter is fine (assuming your house can be heated properly.
Aquaculture you say........Not at the shiny new setup at Mt Pleasant by any chance?........Had a small part in that being built.

Crusty said:
It's like stepping back in time that place & no one seems to be in a hurry & the people are weirdly friendly, it's a refreshing change from the agro, rush, rush lifestyle I'm used to.
That sentence describes exactly what I thought moving to NSW from the UK about 7yrs ago. :)

Latest posts

Back