Moving From Kit/partial --> Ag, Need Ideas For Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennuttall

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm currently brewing using kits and partial grain recipes and I'm getting stuck on the limitations of them so a new brew setup is in order.
I got this website linked to me and I thought this system looked pretty well sorted, just wondered if anyone has used one/owns one and could give me some feedback on ease of use, efficiencies etc

http://beerbelly.com.au/brewboy.html

Also, does anyone know of similar systems and where they can be bought? I see a lot of people have built their own but I unfortunately have neither the time nor equipment required to do that so it would need to be either a prebuilt system or a simple to assemble kit version.

Hopefully someone out there can give me some ideas :D cant wait to develop my whiskey infused strong ale from kit to AG soon!

MacBrew

Can't comment on the system you linked. Looks cool. Really depends on your budget and how big you want to go. For me, I went from kits/extracts to AG with a 40L Crown Urn and BIAB. Cost was low for a nice simple entry into AG. It was already assembled, apart from some insulation I cut out and held on with bungy cords, and the boil dry bypass fix. Apart from that, one vessel and 23L wort to ferment with each brew.

I figured it was better to ease into it equipment wise. Need to get my purchases past SWMBO in small amounts. A lump sum approach doesn't go down well. Of course, if you don't have that problem and you're committed to the brewing cause, go for gold mate!

Hi guys!
I'm currently brewing using kits and partial grain recipes and I'm getting stuck on the limitations of them so a new brew setup is in order.
I got this website linked to me and I thought this system looked pretty well sorted, just wondered if anyone has used one/owns one and could give me some feedback on ease of use, efficiencies etc

http://beerbelly.com.au/brewboy.html

Also, does anyone know of similar systems and where they can be bought? I see a lot of people have built their own but I unfortunately have neither the time nor equipment required to do that so it would need to be either a prebuilt system or a simple to assemble kit version.

Hopefully someone out there can give me some ideas :D cant wait to develop my whiskey infused strong ale from kit to AG soon!

MacBrew

Check out Grain and Grape link above. They have a Herms system and the Braumeister.

There is no right or wrong answer, what works for you depends on many things.

Budget has already been mentioned, but also consider
- do you want something off the shelf ready to go?
- do you have the time / skills to piece your own system together?
- How will you power it, gas or electric? If electric what power capacity do you have ( a standard 240v GPO will only power a 2400W element). If gas, mains or bottle?
- how much space do you have to store it when not in use?

There are many ways to start on the cheap, from bucket in bucket mash tuns & "bucket of death" kettles; converted eskies; BIAB; 2 vessel; 3 vessel; single level pumped or 3 tier gravity fed, RIMS or HERMS. Regardless of what "system" you choose, you need something to mash in & something to boil in + a method of heating. I'd suggest you look to buy / build a something you can mash & boil a double batch in - many have started small then replaced their setup to increase output.

Also look at how whatever you build / buy now can be used as you grow eg BIAB urns can be used as a kettle in a 2 or 3 vessel setup or they can be used to contain a herms coil later on if you decide to go there.

Most here have started simple & "grown" their rigs as their understanding / experience also grew.

I could rabbit for ages, but think you need to ask / answer some questions to understand your own wants / needs / capabilities / restrictions.

Beers
Crozdog

<dons modesty shield>

I've got a wall of awards and thingos in picture frames earned by my trusty urn (now have 2) and bag (now have 3 :) )
As jacknohe points out, the urn + BIAB system is virtually "turn key" out of the box, and you will surely have nearly all the other necessary stuff already as you are an experienced brewer. I sit my urn on a Bunnings tool trolley with a timber deck on top. Total cost sub $400

<doffs modesty shield>

I am also looking for a cheap set up- I have a book by Laurie Strachan which contains two details of a (what seems to be) a pretty good set up contructed from food grade plastic containers, these are available for free from many restaurants. This set up looks to be the cheapest and best. However I don't know where to purchase the parts- the book states that they are readily available from homebrew stores. But I have yet to find them. Perhaps someone else may know.

http://flic.kr/p/9A2JL2

http://flic.kr/p/9A5Hb5

I am also looking for a cheap set up- I have a book by Laurie Strachan which contains two details of a (what seems to be) a pretty good set up contructed from food grade plastic containers, these are available for free from many restaurants. This set up looks to be the cheapest and best. However I don't know where to purchase the parts- the book states that they are readily available from homebrew stores. But I have yet to find them. Perhaps someone else may know.

http://flic.kr/p/9A2JL2

http://flic.kr/p/9A5Hb5

Search "Bucket of Death"

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=29667

Thanks for all the feedback! Some really useful gear linked and got me ticking over some ideas :D

At the moment I am limited to kits/partial due to renting an apartment but come November I will have a concrete slab 16m2 shed which I will be able to fit out for brewing and about $8000 to fit it out with. The aim is to have a system which is as close to a commercial setup as possible so I can design my recipes prior to investment in a 1200L full blown setup. As for supply I will most likely be using tap water supply to the shed (run through a filter) and bottled gas. Then all I need is a reliable malt supply and my hop plants to come to fruition and I should be sorted!

In the mean time however I think I will be investing in a BIAB setup cos some of those look pretty sweet! Been checking out some of the recipes people have put on here for them and they look awesome!

come November I will have a concrete slab 16m2 shed which I will be able to fit out for brewing and about $8000 to fit it out with. The aim is to have a system which is as close to a commercial setup as possible so I can design my recipes prior to investment in a 1200L full blown setup.

I'm jealous! :)

The aim is to have a system which is as close to a commercial setup as possible so I can design my recipes prior to investment in a 1200L full blown setup. As for supply I will most likely be using tap water supply to the shed (run through a filter) and bottled gas. Then all I need is a reliable malt supply and my hop plants to come to fruition and I should be sorted!

In the mean time however I think I will be investing in a BIAB setup cos some of those look pretty sweet! Been checking out some of the recipes people have put on here for them and they look awesome!

1200L wow.

The Beerbelly brewboy setups are the ducks nuts, Wayne does a top job on the fabrication too. His avatar on this site is Domonsura if you need to PM him any questions on the unit.

As for getting a system close to commercial, I would say the beauty of small batches (i.e. 20 - 50L ish) is that you can introduce stepped mashes, decoctions, and the like easily. Not sure how a commercial brewery would be able to cost effectively decoct part of the mash in a 1200L batch.

The Commercial setup will have some similarities, however extra vessels, jacketed fermentors, lauter tuns, etc will get introduced to the commercial side of your future setup.

Can I enquire as to the plans for the development of the 1200L brewery? Its not a small step, liquor licences, permits, property, sales, govt regulations, etc, etc... - dont get me wrong though, a 1200L brewery would be fantastic!

(Kooinda brewery started in their back shed and have since expanded).

If you're after a turn key system Speidel's Braumeister Systems are gaining popularity and are reasonable priced for what you get. Have a read here from what others on the forum have said.

If you want a quick start-up and you're a little space restricted at the moment... can't go past BIAB in an urn. I walked into Craftbrewer's the other day and Ross had a voile bag sitting in an urn. all ready for you to take immediately and be mashing in within an hour of getting home... too easy. Everything was available int he one place.

No affiliation... just impressed on how easy they've made it for a new AG brewer to get started up.

Latest posts

Back