Moving fermented wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDan

Reaction score
I've got my wedding next year and plan on asking a few mates to help brew some beer for it. I'll pay for the grain and ideally if they can brew and ferment it, and then I'll bottle it all (as thats the sucky part of the job and I'm happy to take it on).

My mates all live in close suburbs, so my current plan is to head around there place once the fermented wort (I guess its now called beer..) is ready for bottling. I'll have a cube already sanitised and with the required boiled sugar for bottle carbing, then pour their beer into the cube and top up to full with no head space (so no oxygen). Then drive back to mine, install a tap in the cube and start bottling.

Anyone see any issues with this? Without any headspace I imagine the oxidation should be minimal with any sloshing around on my drive home..

Cheers

Agreed the easiest option would be to bottle at theirs, but then they'll be inclined to help. As mentioned no one likes to bottle so I'm happy to take this on by myself

MetalDan said:
I've got my wedding next year and plan on asking a few mates to help brew some beer for it. I'll pay for the grain and ideally if they can brew and ferment it, and then I'll bottle it all (as thats the sucky part of the job and I'm happy to take it on).

My mates all live in close suburbs, so my current plan is to head around there place once the fermented wort (I guess its now called beer..) is ready for bottling. I'll have a cube already sanitised and with the required boiled sugar for bottle carbing, then pour their beer into the cube and top up to full with no head space (so no oxygen). Then drive back to mine, install a tap in the cube and start bottling.

Anyone see any issues with this? Without any headspace I imagine the oxidation should be minimal with any sloshing around on my drive home..

Cheers
If you can’t or don’t want to bottle at your mates house there is no problem doing what you propose.

If you get fed up with all the bottling you could even just leave beer in the cube and serve draft/draught beer at your wedding if you like. Here in the Illawarra we regularly use cubes to serve draught real ale.

We discussed carbing in a cube previously in this thread: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70056-carbingconditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg/

Thanks for the idea SE I hadn't seen that post before, I've got a few english ales I plan on having so that could work a treat :)

MetalDan said:
Thanks for the idea SE I hadn't seen that post before, I've got a few english ales I plan on having so that could work a treat :)
Just make sure to lube/seal the tap or they drip under pressure. Keep an eye on them for a week or so after priming and release pressure if the cube swells excessively.

The easiest way to control/release pressure is lie down the cube with the tap uppermost and release co2 through it every couple days if it’s ballooning two much.

Latest posts

Back