Mouthfeel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, just a query about mouth feel and body. I put down this...

1.5kg coopers liquid wheat
1kg light malt
25g saaz hops @ 60min
dry weizen yeast
18 litres
20 degrees

After only two weeks in the bottle it tastes pretty bloody good, apart from the mouth feel which is a bit watery/light. Will this improve with age or is there something I can add next time to help with body and mouth feel?

Cheers,

Hazz

For that malt quantity you could try lowering the volume (water) to say 16 L

Did you take Gravity readings? what was the OG and FG ?

I'd suggest steeping some carapils next time to improve the mouthfeel. About 200-500g depending on taste should do it I'd say. Oh, and if you're scared of grain (which you shouldn't be) maltodextrin may have a similar effect, but I've never used it, so you'd need to do your research.

The carapils is the way to go, good advice there.

Buy one of those grain infusion packs or something, they consist of 200 gr of carapils that you steep in some hot water.
https://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.php?opti...2&Itemid=99

this malt is not very fermentable, meaning the sugars you extract from the grains stay in the beer as the yeast have a hard time eating them, leaving a bit of body to your beer, and improves the head/foam.

thanks
BjornJ

Thanks guys,

og was 1050 and fg was 1010

will the carapils affect the flavour at all, or is it just purely head retention/mouthfeel etc?
Also as this was a wheat beer recipe would other grains be ok, ie. crystal?

Hazz

For a wheat I'd stay away from normal Crystal Malts.

Instead, you could use some Carahell, Carapils, or Carawheat.
Use up to say 200 gr maximum, and steep as mentioned by BjornJ.

I use around 150 gr Carahell in my Hefeweizens to give them some body, although that is for an AG brew.

Thanks again guys, will do that next time round

Hazz

Latest posts

Back