Mountain Goat Hightail Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
Any ideas on this brew from a k/e perspective? its a quite tasty drop wouldnt mind giving it a bash.

Any ideas on this brew from a k/e perspective? its a quite tasty drop wouldnt mind giving it a bash.

I found this somewhere. im going to try it this weekend...

* 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale tin (Pale ale if doing Mtn Goat Pale Ale)
* 1kg Light dry malt extract
* 100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 minutes)
* 100g brewing sugar
* 25g Amarillo hops for the Pale Ale or Goldings/Fuggles for the Hightail, steeped for 10 mins with the LME.

I found this somewhere. im going to try it this weekend...

* 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale tin (Pale ale if doing Mtn Goat Pale Ale)
* 1kg Light dry malt extract
* 100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 minutes)
* 100g brewing sugar
* 25g Amarillo hops for the Pale Ale or Goldings/Fuggles for the Hightail, steeped for 10 mins with the LME.

Hightail ale uses cascade hops for flavour/aroma. It is also about 20% crystal malt (as told to me by the head brewer so I would suggest the use of amber dry malt extract. (or liquid).

How about:

1.5kg muntons amber malt can
500g crystal malt
muntons blonde 1.5kg
25g cascade for finishing

something like that perhaps? i guess i could always do the bittering myself, also i think there might be some sort of english hops in the brew as well so maybe fuggles and goldings?

How about:

1.5kg muntons amber malt can
500g crystal malt
muntons blonde 1.5kg
25g cascade for finishing

something like that perhaps? i guess i could always do the bittering myself, also i think there might be some sort of english hops in the brew as well so maybe fuggles and goldings?

Regarding hops - Hightail Ale is bittered with POR and flavoured with Cascade. If you go on a brewer tour (every Wed night) you can see big bags of POR pellets, and the head brewer is (or was) happy to discuss the type of hops they use. So, no english hops! I suspect that Muntons would use something english, so it won't be an exact clone, depends on whether you think bittering hops add any flavour, or not.

As fot crystal - since you're using amber malt extract, which already has crystal malt in it, I would tone down the amount you steep, and keep it a light crystal. Its difficult tro suggest exact amounts because I don't know how much crystal there is in the extract.

Thanks for the info, i got to go on this tour, sounds like an informative night.

okay so POR and cascade sounds good to me, cheers.

Has anyone brewed up a batch yet?

I'm thinking about doing an hightail extract for my next brew so I'm interested in how they went and what your final recipe was.

Back