Mountain Goat 'goldilocks' At The Wheaty

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofinder

Wild Elephant Brewery
Reaction score
From here: http://www.wheatsheafhotel.com.au/wheatie_weekly

Mountain Goat bring Goldilocks to The Wheaty

Founding Goat boys Cam and Dave are making their annual pilgrimage to The Wheaty and theyve been good enough to swing us a keg of Goldilocks (5.3% AV) to pour on the night.

Mountain Goat is an independent Melbourne microbrewery producing full flavoured, all natural, characterful ales since 1997. Goldilocks, an aromatic pale ale featuring Tasmanian grown Galaxy hop flowers, is the latest one-off batch from the Goat boys (otherwise only available at the Richmond brewery).

In the words of Goat; The script here was to make a crisp Pale Ale for spring and then late hop the be-hesus out of it. And, well, it smells of fresh-cut grass, tropical fruit salad, some more grass and then some grassiness. Hey, its spring, right? We love the smell of grass in the spring, makes you wanna run through the sprinkler in yer undiesok too much Meet Cam and Dave and let them buy you a Goldilocks. Thurs 2nd Oct 530 - 7pm The Wheatsheaf Hotel
Any excuse to head to the Wheatsheaf... :)

goat boys know the score!

i like smelling grass to! :lol:

yeah i might even come to that sound good

I'm heading down to the Wheaty now - if anyone is dropping in for some Goldilocks and wants to say hi, look for 'I'm evil' written across my back.

Cheers,
Dan.

thanks for the heads up on this one Goofinder, was a good way to start (end?) a thursday night.

i, for one, really enjoyed the 'goldilocks' and was disappointed to hear that it was only a one-off recipe, that they had no plans to make again.

so, impressions (and keep in mind that given my heyfever over the last week, i wouldnt trust my senses to tell me if my arse was on fire, or not)

• if i didn't know that it was 5.5% abv i would have guessed at 4.5-4.8
  • one of the brightest (clearest) ales i have seen in a long time. apparently they conditioned this beer at 0 DegC for 9 nine days.
  • high(ish) level of carbonation with a great lasting head
  • golden, blonde ale colour
  • definitely got the initial aroma of grass, followed by the fruit salad, with the grass flavours once again following on the back pallette
  • very refreshing and more-ish
so onto the recipe. from what i gleaned talking to Dave was:

• single ale malt grist
  • EKG hops for bittering
  • LOTS of Galaxy through a 'keg' hopback
  • LOTS of Galaxy, dry hopped in the conditioning tanks.
  • 5.5% ABV as mentioned earlier
  • extended cold conditioning
  • dry yeast was used (i would assume the ever-reliable US-05)
so, shouldnt be too hard to work out a decent knock-off from this.

cheers
jon

This is the sort of beer every pub needs.
Got ther at 6:10 and all gone.
Managed to get a slurp frm Greg the Plumbers glass and half a butcher from Jade (prolly outta drip tray!)

Ripper beer.

tdh

Latest posts

Back