Mountain Goat Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
pressure tested,

if you can, remove the 0 min addition and the dry hop and try chilling the wort to 80c after the boil, add the whole 70g of Galaxy and steep(rest @ Temp) for 15-20 mins at 80c, then chill as normal.

You might find a better overall aroma to the beer. If anything i would not dry hop it and maybe still do the 0 min addition and steep the other 35g at 80c for 20mins. see how that works out for you.

Truth is without a hopback and fresh flowers it would be hard pressed to get the same pop of hop aroma they make but it will be there.

Pratty.
I'm going to keep the 35g steep and just keep the lid on the pot while I do it to trap the aromatics, and then dry hop for no longer than 36 hours.

I'm also a bit skeptical about the simcoe addition at 10mins, the bottle says just citra and galaxy... which is different from what the brewer said above. Possible 10min addition of 50g citra, and just keep the simcoe for the bittering? Theoretically you could achieve simcoe's bittering addition with a first wort citra or galaxy to compensate for harshness of a pure boil

Luke1992 said:
I'm going to keep the 35g steep and just keep the lid on the pot while I do it to trap the aromatics, and then dry hop for no longer than 36 hours.

I'm also a bit skeptical about the simcoe addition at 10mins, the bottle says just citra and galaxy... which is different from what the brewer said above. Possible 10min addition of 50g citra, and just keep the simcoe for the bittering? Theoretically you could achieve simcoe's bittering addition with a first wort citra or galaxy to compensate for harshness of a pure boil
1 year and 4 months.....really?

Fourstar said:
Infact it was filtered and kegged lastnight! Is it close, very close! Personally, i think they overexaggerated the idea of LOTS of late galaxy in hopback or dryhop. Its hard to tell if they did both as at the brewery the passiona is rather strong and a light grassyness and towards the end of the kegs you notice a few hop particles. so i'd say they probably do abit of both.

After tasting an hour ito the keg, the Galaxy is a little OTT, i'd guess due to the dry hop addition. Given a few weeks though, it will probabaly be aged to perfection. If i was doing it again, i'd probably cut the dryhop back to 15-20 grams as it was tasting close to spot on out of the fermenter before the dry hop addition was made.

Also they dont filter their IPA either, this was my doing. I think it polishes the hops abit more and cleans out the harshness you can get from dry hopping+yeast in suspension but you could get away without filtering. i'd just go for a long crash chill, probably 5days to drop majority of the yeast out before kegging/bottling.

My recipe is below. Note, i used Munich over vienna and citra in mine where they do not, they use amarillo. It still turned out very very close. A picture will be posted in the 'whats in the glass thread' in a few days time. ;)

Cheers! :beerbang:

Brewed this as per this recipe yesterday, with the exception of using WY1217 West Coast IPA as the yeast.

Back