Mountain Goat Goes Randall

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
"Randal the Hop Infuser...

If you like hops then you should see what we've just bolted onto the brewery bar. It's a hop infuser that the beer runs through just before it hits your glass. We have it full of fresh Galaxy hop flowers at the moment and it's got us all psyched. Come in and we'll tell you all about it."

During the week of the beer awards here in Melbourne, Goat had the Randal from Wig & Pen (Canberra) up on the bar and they were running their Double Hightail through fresh Galaxy hops... very nice.

Cool to see they now have one as a permanent fixture...

Brendo

Thanks for the news, was planning to go there Thursday night anyway, now I have something more to lookforward to!

bar is open Wednesday and Friday nights mate...

This Friday they're having beer & mussels:

"Yep we're going back to sea for our next great beer and food adventure. It's happening Fri 15 May here at the brewery. Our mate Conrad will be cooking up batches of mussels (in a beer broth of course) for the night and serving them by the bowl. Just roll up. No bookings required."

This Friday they're having beer & mussels:
"Yep we're going back to sea for our next great beer and food adventure. It's happening Fri 15 May here at the brewery. Our mate Conrad will be cooking up batches of mussels (in a beer broth of course) for the night and serving them by the bowl. Just roll up. No bookings required."

Dang, if only i wasn't going to the footy on Friday night! Beer+mussels*randal= A recipe for an enjoyable evening!

You going to the IBD meeting Kev?? I'll be there and I hope they have the randall going. Well I hope they do if they don't have ginger and lemon in it like last time.... nasty.

Anyone else?

This sounds interesting.. Is there a place in sydney which has one of these contraptions?

You going to the IBD meeting Kev?? I'll be there and I hope they have the randall going. Well I hope they do if they don't have ginger and lemon in it like last time.... nasty.

Anyone else?

Yes mate, for the IBD meeting. Must say that ginger and lemon idea sounds great! I did not get a chance to try it though...

I made the Randall that Mountain goat has and just installed a new Randall at the Wig and Pen on Sunday. Richard will be using theres all the time with different hops and spices, we put the new Cascade flowers in Sunday. Cascade flowers were not quite as good as the galaxy flowers, will be interesting to see what goes in next.

Craig
Stagger

The Galaxy flower were very nice. I was quite impressed, I expected some off flavours but quite enjoyed the Hightail tonight!

The Galaxy flower were very nice. I was quite impressed, I expected some off flavours but quite enjoyed the Hightail tonight!

I thought it was nice; lots and lots of good dry hop style aroma and a heap of stone fruit (peach/nectarine) in the flavour - but perhaps 'm a little over the hops hops and more hops thing. I like hightail better with its stock standard hop profile. With the extra kick from the Randall it was out of balance.

Still, a nice little way to change the character of a beer without having to re-do the recipe or make another batch. Worth playing with for sure.

I quite liked the steam beer - still not a fan of the kolsch. But I'm not complaining. Free beer is good beer!!

We need to get some badges or a secret handshake or something - we were in the same room, but I have no idea who you were... I was the graceful and poised lad who displayed his savoir-faire by kicking over a couple of glasses and forcing Dave to come after me with brush and shovel.... not even drunk, just clumsy.

Going to a function at the goat in a couple of weeks. Can hardly wait to give ol' Randall a go. Sounds good - but yeah I guess there's plenty of cascade in a hightail already - so more on top ? I'll have to try that and see - should be interesting on the tastebuds.

Hopper.

I didn't get a chance to meet everyone. I do remember the glasses being broken but I was busy protecting my custom made gluten free pizza that they so kindly baked for me!

As for the beer, the steam beer was my fav as well. The IPA was nice and I agree Hightail is better without the hop flower stew session ;)

If you met a guy named Kevin from Ballarat Uni, that was me, or if you met anyone from Ballarat Uni (Pete, Bradford or the two lovely young girls accompanying us) I was probably not far away...

My secret handshake is easy... I have a strong American accent :huh:

I didn't get a chance to meet everyone. I do remember the glasses being broken but I was busy protecting my custom made gluten free pizza that they so kindly baked for me!

Gluten Intolerant aye,

How do you handle the beer? With a tender stomach for the next few days?

Gluten Intolerant aye,

How do you handle the beer? With a tender stomach for the next few days?

If I have just one pot I am alright, but if I overdo it (like last night) I feel a bit of a dogs breakfast for a few days yeah. Wheat beers seem to be worse...

If I have just one pot I am alright, but if I overdo it (like last night) I feel a bit of a dogs breakfast for a few days yeah. Wheat beers seem to be worse...

Mate that must kill your for brewing! Are you brewing GF or high adjunct beers at home?

I was going to head down there tonight to have some Hightail through Randy again. Will anyone else be there tonight?

Latest posts

Back